Changing the lyrics of O Canada?

tomdayfan

The British burned Lewiston to the ground at the same time.

Of course that was after the Americans burned Queenstown(sp?).

Anyways leave the Canadian Anthem alone.

It is great as it is...

Esp when Roger Doucet sang it in the Forum before a Habs game as

Lori pointed out earlier

Or tried, anyway. Isn't that why the British burned Buffalo to the ground in 1813?

Oh. I forgot. Then twice. The first time Benedict Arnold tried to take Quebec. Not by himself of course.

O'Canada is actually a great passionate National Anthem that I consider one of the best anthems out there. Its a cool anthem and shouldn't be messed with.

But it was in 1920.

Why not go back to the original lyrics? Why was it changed in the 1920's?

After a request from the Conservative government, a parliamentary committee will study whether the “sons command” phrase should be changed to “Thou dost in us command”. That was the original phrase when the anthem was written in 1908….but ended up changing by the 1920’s. “O Canada” didn’t officially become the national anthem until 1980.

What was happening historically in the late 19 teens/twentys in the US and Canada? First correct answer gets an attaboy! :wallbash:

Okay... I don't agree with the PC BS... But let's be real and put it into historical perspective. Why was it changed in the first place?

But it was in 1920.

Why not go back to the original lyrics? Why was it changed in the 1920's?

After a request from the Conservative government, a parliamentary committee will study whether the “sons command” phrase should be changed to “Thou dost in us command”. That was the original phrase when the anthem was written in 1908….but ended up changing by the 1920’s. “O Canada” didn’t officially become the national anthem until 1980.

What was happening historically in the late 19 teens/twentys in the US and Canada? First correct answer gets an attaboy! :wallbash:

Okay... I don't agree with the PC BS... But let's be real and put it into historical perspective. Why was it changed in the first place?

Boot leg booze. Next.

Regards Joe Kennedy SR.