ESPN Insider

Schouman looked decent before getting injured.

yep and so did derek fine for a bit, michael gaines, kevin everett, brad ceislak, mark campbell, tim euhus...all the way back to Riemersma...

how many draft picks/trades have we wasted on tight ends?

why would people not pounce if we could get the guy for a 2-3 pick. yeah we gotta sign him to a deal im sure but above average TEs make less money than above average #2 wr...and are more effective.

we need to stop ignoring the TE position and wasting away our 4th round picks while were at it.

GM gives a clue on Olsen

9:18AM ET

Greg Olsen | Bears | Interested: Patriots?, Bengals?

Top Email

TEs under Martz's guidance

* 2006: Jon Kitna completes 372 passes for 4,208 yards and 21 TDs. Detroit's leading TE is Dan Campbell: 21 receptions, 308 yards, 4 TDs.

* 2007: Kitna completes 355 passes for 4,068 yards and 18 TDs. Sean McHugh is the leading TE on the Lions, catching 17 passes for 252 yards and no touchdowns.

* 2008: Shaun Hill and J.T. O'Sullivan combine for 309 completions, 3,724 yards, 21 TDs. Vernon Davis has 31 receptions for 358 yards, 2 TDs. In 2009, Davis makes the Pro Bowl with 78 receptions, 965 yards and 13 TDs.

Thoughts? With T.O. gone it would be great to have another semi viable option to throw to, not to mention take some pressure off the QB. Would they be willing to take a 3rd for Olsen?

If we use your guidelines let's look at Gailey's O when he was last a HC/OC. Which was in 1998 and 1999 in Dallas.

* 1998: Troy Aikman/Jason Garrett complete 272 passes for 3,546 yards and 17 TDs. Dallas' leading TE is David LaFleur 20 receptions, 176 yards, 2 TDs.

* 1999: Aikman/Garret complete 295 passes for 3,278 yards and 20 TDs. David LaFleur is the leading TE on the Cowboys, catching 35 passes for 355 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Also if look back at his times as OC in Pittsburgh/Miami I can't recall off the top of my head who their TEs were so they probably didn't pick up great numbers but if want to research go ahead. The only exception is 2008 as KC's OC when he had Tony Gonzalez who is one of the best TEs to ever grace the football field.

3. Bears are idiots if they even consider dumping a first-round pick -- and their leading receiver last year -- so Martz can bring in one of his old Rams buddies.

Wouldn't be a surprise. When Martz went to SF he brought in QB JT O'Sullivan who he knew and persuaded Nolan to make him starter.

I would rather sign Watson or LJ Smith to pair with Nelson........

Of the free agent tight ends I would target Alge Crumpler. He is still an outstanding blocker and despite playing behind Bo Scaife in Tennessee, has totaled 51 catches over the last two years as the second tight end. He's a 4-time Pro Bowler who will be entering his 10th season and won't turn 33 years old till after the 2010 season. He might come at a reasonable price and would make a really nice upgrade and bridge player.

If we use your guidelines let's look at Gailey's O when he was last a HC/OC. Which was in 1998 and 1999 in Dallas.

* 1998: Troy Aikman/Jason Garrett complete 272 passes for 3,546 yards and 17 TDs. Dallas' leading TE is David LaFleur 20 receptions, 176 yards, 2 TDs.

* 1999: Aikman/Garret complete 295 passes for 3,278 yards and 20 TDs. David LaFleur is the leading TE on the Cowboys, catching 35 passes for 355 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Also if look back at his times as OC in Pittsburgh/Miami I can't recall off the top of my head who their TEs were so they probably didn't pick up great numbers but if want to research go ahead. The only exception is 2008 as KC's OC when he had Tony Gonzalez who is one of the best TEs to ever grace the football field.

In 1996 and 1997 when Gailey was OC for the Steelers, their starting tight ends were Mark Bruenner (think Mark Brammer, more or less) and journeyman Jonathan Hayes. Steeler tight ends those two years totaled about 40 catches. But neither player was a receiving tight end. They were primarily blockers.

In 2000 and 2001 when Gailey was OC for the Dolphins, their starting tight ends were Hunter Goodwin and Jed Weaver who totalled about 22 catches. Again, both players were primarily blockers.

So in summation, his time in Kansas City with T. Gonzales the exception, Gailey has not used his tight ends too much but that's likely a function of having coached only one good receiving tight end (actually a great one) in his time as an NFL OC.

But knowing what we know of Gailey's philosophy, if Shawn Nelson shows improvement, Gailey will try to maximize his contributions.

yep and so did derek fine for a bit, michael gaines, kevin everett, brad ceislak, mark campbell, tim euhus...all the way back to Riemersma...

how many draft picks/trades have we wasted on tight ends?

why would people not pounce if we could get the guy for a 2-3 pick. yeah we gotta sign him to a deal im sure but above average TEs make less money than above average #2 wr...and are more effective.

we need to stop ignoring the TE position and wasting away our 4th round picks while were at it.

That would be great if the Bills didn't need two offensive tackles, a nose tackle, two LB's, a #2 WR, a backup center, a guard if Incognito isn't resigned, and a QB.

TE can wait for Nelson to develop.

I'm high on Nelson

As am I, but Olsen is a quality TE. One that can block and catch effectively. At least from what I have seen when I have watched him play. I will be quite pleased if the Bills make a move for him (if the price is right).