Give Trent Edwards a chance

Nasty

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First time post here. I personnally liked TE as our quarterback. Better then Fitzpatrick. Better then Losman. Better then anyone we can get in a draft this year. Our problem is just keeping him upright to make the throw. His accuracy is good and when he did have time to throw over the middle and down field he wasn't affraid. For instance during the Redskins game two years ago at the end of the game when he needed to make a throw downfield and had time he was money. Another example was the Jacksonville game when he had another fourth quarter game winning drive at the end. He is a good quarter back to me just not coached properly and no line. He was loved in 08 until the Cardnials game where he had his first concussion. That to me is when he got scared. Then he went through the hole training camp last year to have his coordinator dumped right before the season and had a new OC. If he had any consistant coaching he would be a stud now. For that matter I think Losman would have panned out to if it wasn't for sorry coaching. With Loseman they tried to make him a pocket quarterback. To me he should have used his legs more. But I still like Edwards better. We really need to concentrate on our lines Offensive and Defensive this year. Go Bills!!

I agree.

Edwards was given the reins BECAUSE Losman sucked so bad and was turnover prone, that Edwards consistency was a welcome sight for all involved.

For me, there were several factors involved that led to Edwards struggles thus far:

1.) He was thrown into the fire from the start after Vince Wilfork injured Losman. To be thrown in for your first pro game against the Super Bowl Patriots 'D' is the definition of trial by fire.

2.) 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years, and the horrible play calling by said play callers cannot help a young QB develop confidence, etc.

3.) horrible offensive lines. It has been said many times- you can't play the position of QB effectively if you are constantly on your back. Buffalo has neglected the offensive line since the Super Bowl years and since Ruben Brown emigrated to Chicago.

4.) the Concussion. This was perhaps the biggest single setback for Trent, as before this he was calm under fire, consistent, accurate, and was willing to take shots both in the intermediate range and longer.

5.) No proven, NFL talent at QB coach. I like Sam Wyche, and I respect his legacy. But I don't think he is the best groomer of QB's. He was on the Bills staff for what, 1-2 years under Mularkey and then was never brought back. Now, something is better than nothing, as Jauron obviously felt that there was no need for a QB coach. Cortez seems to fit the bill for me, as he has groomed and been linked to SEVERAL successful names in the NFL.

Now, I am not a Trent apologist, and if we sink the efforts of Cortez and an offense oriented towards Trents strengths under Gailey and he still sucks, then I say lose him quick and move on.

But he still has 1 bargain year left on his contract. He is still young. He has shown stretches of brilliance pre-concussion.

For the Bills and for our fandom's sake, I hope he succeeds.

Why not give him 1 more year?

The Vikings were already a playoff team. Adding Favre was just putting the cherry on top of an cake that was otherwise already decorated.

On the other hand, the Bills are a small, slow, weak team without a foundation and in the beginning stages of filling up the dumpsters. Suggestions that adding a rookie QB is all it takes to make this a Super Bowl team are laughable.

The Bills' 7-9 years were not that far out of the playoffs. Granted the Vikes were a playoff team I'll give you that, but adding a QB won them three more games and put them in the NFC championship.

and I didn't suggest a rookie QB, I want a QB...something which the Bills don't have right now.

The Bills' 7-9 years were not that far out of the playoffs. Granted the Vikes were a playoff team I'll give you that, but adding a QB won them three more games and put them in the NFC championship.

I never said it (edit: Favre) didn't improve the team.

Reading these "almost good" woulda-coulda-shoulda-maybe-if-only excuses never gets old. It's like listening to a co-worker that hasn't gotten laid in 10 years talk about how he almost bagged a chick that looked like Jessica Alba the night before. Studly's got it going on. <_<

and I didn't suggest a rookie QB, I want a QB...something which the Bills don't have right now.

Fine. Which great QB are you suggesting is going to ride in on the white horse?

How do you "coach" a guy who has gotten injured virtually every year since college to stop getting injured. Relying on an injury prone QB is a certain road to disaster. Nothing is gained by having a guy play 3 or 4 good games a year & then going out with an injury.

So what your saying is if we slam down Jim Kelly as hard as TE was slammed down on his concussions, Jim Kelly doesn't get a concussion?

How about protecting the QB properly before you blame him for someone else's mistakes.

The line sucked yes, but the sacks could have been on TE too. Either way with a better coaching staff - say NEs coaching staff - we would have gotten a lot more out of Trent and the rest of our roster.

Don't forget, too, that last season they cut his LT, moved his RT to LT, put two rookies at guard and a journeyman at center, then cut the new LT and fired the OC just after the end of preseason.

Regardless of what one thinks of Edwards (and I think he's done), the incompetence of the staff cannot be overstated.

We all know how bad DJs coaching was, and I think you guys agree with me, Trent should not be counted on or cut. Dont give him the job but give him a fair chance to win it with a new staff.

I agree.

Edwards was given the reins BECAUSE Losman sucked so bad and was turnover prone, that Edwards consistency was a welcome sight for all involved.

For me, there were several factors involved that led to Edwards struggles thus far:

1.) He was thrown into the fire from the start after Vince Wilfork injured Losman. To be thrown in for your first pro game against the Super Bowl Patriots 'D' is the definition of trial by fire.

2.) 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years, and the horrible play calling by said play callers cannot help a young QB develop confidence, etc.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but until Trent actually makes it to the regular season this year, Trent has had 3 OC in 3 years.

Even that stat is dubious because after Fairchild, each OC was promoted from within in order to promote continuity.

Edwards has been working with the same basic offense for all 3 years.

3.) horrible offensive lines. It has been said many times- you can't play the position of QB effectively if you are constantly on your back. Buffalo has neglected the offensive line since the Super Bowl years and since Ruben Brown emigrated to Chicago.

The offensive line is just the latest in a long line of "excuses" for Trentative. Yes, the line blew. But the line also blew for Fitzpatrick.

4.) the Concussion. This was perhaps the biggest single setback for Trent, as before this he was calm under fire, consistent, accurate, and was willing to take shots both in the intermediate range and longer.

Actually, if you watch his play pre-concussion, his performance was nothing to write home about.

5.) No proven, NFL talent at QB coach. I like Sam Wyche, and I respect his legacy. But I don't think he is the best groomer of QB's. He was on the Bills staff for what, 1-2 years under Mularkey and then was never brought back. Now, something is better than nothing, as Jauron obviously felt that there was no need for a QB coach. Cortez seems to fit the bill for me, as he has groomed and been linked to SEVERAL successful names in the NFL.

WTF does Sam Wyche have to do with Edwards? Wyche never coached Edwards at the NFL level.

And Jauron, did in fact have QB coaches.

Turk was the QB coach under Fairchild during Edwards first year.

Turk was promoted to OC (in order to maintain continuity!), and AVP was promoted from offensive QC to QB coach for Edwards second year.

During Edwards third year, AVP was promoted to OC (because Turk refused to give Jauron a "pop warner" offense) while still maintaining the QB coach title.

Now, I am not a Trent apologist, and if we sink the efforts of Cortez and an offense oriented towards Trents strengths under Gailey and he still sucks, then I say lose him quick and move on.

But he still has 1 bargain year left on his contract. He is still young. He has shown stretches of brilliance pre-concussion.

For the Bills and for our fandom's sake, I hope he succeeds.

Why not give him 1 more year?

Of course you are not a Trent apologist. You just distorted Edwards past in order to justify keeping him, to give him yet "one more chance".

IMHO, Trent Edwards in a package deal for pending draft pick(s) (Ha Ha ! I know) The majority of fans despise this guy for his actions, his play and his past statements and or quotes. He's been heavily booo'ed at the Ralph, among other things, yet he denied ever hearing it, or seeing it; stating that he was concentrating on the game too much to hear the booo's or see the items thrown at him. Most fans are already at their breaking point with guy. Some valid reasons and some not so valid. I say cut the cord !! It's long overdue, regardless of his potential talent. Buffalo is a tough place to play. The fans own him! The same fans that are so mean and angry they would throw their own mother out of the upper deck.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You both need to step away from that crack pipe. Edwards is the very definition of a pantywaist. Both Fitzy and Losman are better QBs than Trent. Heck, some of the Jills are probably better than that him.

What did you say, you want to be on the Jills?

First time post here. I personnally liked TE as our quarterback. Better then Fitzpatrick. Better then Losman. Better then anyone we can get in a draft this year. Our problem is just keeping him upright to make the throw. His accuracy is good and when he did have time to throw over the middle and down field he wasn't affraid. For instance during the Redskins game two years ago at the end of the game when he needed to make a throw downfield and had time he was money. Another example was the Jacksonville game when he had another fourth quarter game winning drive at the end. He is a good quarter back to me just not coached properly and no line. He was loved in 08 until the Cardnials game where he had his first concussion. That to me is when he got scared. Then he went through the hole training camp last year to have his coordinator dumped right before the season and had a new OC. If he had any consistant coaching he would be a stud now. For that matter I think Losman would have panned out to if it wasn't for sorry coaching. With Loseman they tried to make him a pocket quarterback. To me he should have used his legs more. But I still like Edwards better. We really need to concentrate on our lines Offensive and Defensive this year. Go Bills!!

NO for the millionth time.

Edwards is one of, if not, the worst QB in the NFL. Period!!