Return of The Big Uglies

Astrobot

http://drafttek.invisionzone.com/index.php...0%93-chapter-3/

One of my associates at DraftTek has written an excellent summary of the D-Line duties and prospects. I hope it will help us identify which NT's we might be considering 9 weeks from now. Enjoy.

"The 2010 Draft Class is deep in interior defensive linemen. “Professor Long Ball, why did you say interior defensive linemen?” I am so glad you asked – when analyzing the Big Uglies on the defensive side of the ball, we have to consider the positional requirements of the 4-3 versus the 3-4 alignments. Would you believe both alignments evolved from the old 5-2 “Monster” scheme? How about a brief history lesson before looking at the prospects?

The 3-4 defensive alignment evolved from the old 5-2 “Monster” scheme. The nose tackle in the 3-4 was called a nose guard in the 5-2, defensive ends in the 3-4 were called defensive tackles in the 5-2, and the outside linebackers in the 3-4 were stand-up defensive ends in the 5-2, responsible for rushing the passer and covering the flats.

Tom Landry, while defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, pulled Sam Huff from his nose guard position and made him stand on two legs as the traditional 4-3 middle linebacker. He then split the linebackers that were already playing the position to weak side and strong side, moved the defensive tackles in over the offensive guards and had the defensive ends put their hands on the ground and line up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackles – thus, the origin of the 4-3 defensive alignment.

Why is this history lesson important? Well, truth be known, from a responsibilities perspective, the defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment have much more in common with defensive tackles in the 4-3 – as they were named in the 5-2. Defensive ends in a 4-3 alignment normally line up on the offensive tackle’s outside shoulder. Defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment line head up on the offensive tackle and are responsible for two gaps: between the guard and tackle and outside the tackle (between the tackle and tight end, if one is present). 3-4 defensive ends are normally larger and stronger than their 4-3 counterparts, as the “speed” pass rush comes from the outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

There are variations of defensive lineman responsibilities in both alignments; however, the two categorizations that are easiest to understand are the “read, react and control” that allow the linebackers to flow to the play, and the more aggressive “gap penetration” role that attempts to disrupt the offensive play by shooting the gaps. A common misconception is that tackles only have one-gap responsibility in the gap penetration role – rest assured that tackles have two-gap responsibilities in both schemes.

Most nose tackles are huge men with a low center of gravity, making it difficult for offensive lineman to move them; however, this has more to do with utilizing leverage than just absolute size. It is easier to play the position if the weight distribution is from the waist down – but the ability to stay low and maintain balance is paramount to success. These attributes are also important to the strong side defensive tackle in the 4-3, whereas the “3” technique defensive tackles require quickness to shoot the gap, generate a pass rush and generally disrupt the flow of the offensive play.

OK, so where do the 2010 prospects fit? Although some draft pundits have Gerald McCoy closing the gap on Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh (6’4”, 302 lbs) as the #1 prospect, I do not. Do you remember the joke “Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep? Anywhere he wants to!” – well, Mr. Suh has the ability to play either 4-3 DT position, 3-4 DE and also 3-4 NT. A few years ago, I would have been hesitant to “waste his talent” at nose tackle; however, Jay Ratliff has proven that impact players can make an impact from any position. Suh is not only a powerfully built man with the lower body to anchor his position, but also possesses excellent agility from years of playing soccer. Although McCoy is considered the quicker of the two, Suh’s time in the forty yard dash is faster.

Gerald McCoy (6’4”, 298 lbs) is leaving Oklahoma as a junior, but he is NFL-ready. He will play 3-technique DT in the 4-3 alignment and could possibly play weak-side DE in the 3-4. McCoy combines quickness with active hands to disrupt the flow of running plays as well as rushing the passer. When slanting against the run, can make himself “skinny”, exploiting gaps. His strength is in his upper body, as his lower body is not as developed as Suh’s; as a result, he has a tendency to get a bit high and can be power-drive blocked.

Dan Williams (6’2”, 329 lbs) of Tennessee is the best 3-4 NT prospect in this year’s draft – and will also make a fine 4-3 strong-side DT as well. His strength is his low center of gravity due to a lower body that allows him to win leverage battles. His upper body is excellent, as his strong hands allow him to pop and disengage or employ a swim move – good “phone booth” quickness and lateral pursuit.

Former Nittany Lion Jared Odrick (6’5”, 301 lbs) may find his niche as a 3-4 DE rather than a 4-3 DT, although he can play either position. He plays the run and pass equally well, but his long arms provide a visual barrier for QB’s when he comes off the end.

After the top four, question marks abound – the next two prospects on the Big Board have weight issues (on opposite ends of the spectrum) and are probably ranked too high. Brian Price (6’2”, 300 lbs) skipped his senior season at UCLA and has trouble maintaining his weight, ending the season under 285. Although his lower body is somewhat developed, he will be a “one-trick pony” in the pros, playing a 3 technique DT in a 4-3 to utilize his quickness. Alabama’s Terrence Cody (6’4”, 375+++ lbs), in the words of a former NFL coach, may “eat his way out of the league” – the “Mountain” could be a force at NT, but in his current condition will only contribute on 2 downs and will have to come out during an opponent’s drive that consumes first downs.

A player that continually impressed me during Senior Bowl practices was Tyson Alualu (6’2”, 291 lbs) from California, consistently whipping bigger, stronger offensive linemen in drills and during the game. Strictly a 3-technique 4-3 DT, he and Lamarr Houston (6’3”, 302 lbs) of Texas performed well at the Senior Bowl and are two of the faster DT’s in this year’s draft. Cam Thomas (6’4”, 331 lbs) of North Carolina and Torrell Troup (6’3”, 310 lbs) of Central Florida are the next best NT prospects.

Dark horse candidates to keep an eye on include a pair of East Carolina teammates that would enhance a 3-4 line: Linval Joseph (6’6”, 322 lbs) with an ungodly wing span at DE and Jay Ross (6’3”, 314 lbs), a fireplug NT that has the explosion to disrupt plays in the backfield. Two small school NT candidates to remember: Tommie Duhart (6’3”, 329 lbs) of Valdosta State and Abe Koroma (6’3”, 317 lbs) of Western Illinois.

A lotta stuff, eh? I told you this was a deep draft for interior defensive linemen! In the next installment, we will look at the “speed guys”: 4-3 defensive ends, 3-4 outside linebackers and those rare “hybrids” that can play both positions.

The Big Ugly Hisself,

Long Ball"

A player that continually impressed me during Senior Bowl practices was Tyson Alualu (6’2”, 291 lbs) from California, consistently whipping bigger, stronger offensive linemen in drills and during the game. Strictly a 3-technique 4-3 DT, he and Lamarr Houston (6’3”, 302 lbs) of Texas performed well at the Senior Bowl and are two of the faster DT’s in this year’s draft. Cam Thomas (6’4”, 331 lbs) of North Carolina and Torrell Troup (6’3”, 310 lbs) of Central Florida are the next best NT prospects.

I'm not a fan of pegging any DT draftee with any "technique" label. It's the pro coaches' job to mold rookies as to how they want them to act. I would never consider a DL player that has a collegiate history of strictly this, or that.

I'm looking for quickness off the snap, lateral movement, plugging the line even if he gets knocked on his fanny - somebody's progress was impeded with all hope. I want them to interfere with the opposing offense's plans. If they get a sack or hurry - that's nice. I want to see a head slap, a forearm club now and then. I'll suffer that personal foul assessment.

I want my DTs to do things that allow my LBs to be able to zero in on the run, or let them get into coverage. It's nice when a DT gets a sack, but I want them firstly to set the stage for the other members of the defense.

One of my associates at DraftTek has written an excellent summary of the D-Line duties and prospects. I hope it will help us identify which NT's we might be considering 9 weeks from now. Enjoy.

"The 2010 Draft Class is deep in interior defensive linemen. “Professor Long Ball, why did you say interior defensive linemen?” I am so glad you asked – when analyzing the Big Uglies on the defensive side of the ball, we have to consider the positional requirements of the 4-3 versus the 3-4 alignments. Would you believe both alignments evolved from the old 5-2 “Monster” scheme? How about a brief history lesson before looking at the prospects?

The 3-4 defensive alignment evolved from the old 5-2 “Monster” scheme. The nose tackle in the 3-4 was called a nose guard in the 5-2, defensive ends in the 3-4 were called defensive tackles in the 5-2, and the outside linebackers in the 3-4 were stand-up defensive ends in the 5-2, responsible for rushing the passer and covering the flats.

Tom Landry, while defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, pulled Sam Huff from his nose guard position and made him stand on two legs as the traditional 4-3 middle linebacker. He then split the linebackers that were already playing the position to weak side and strong side, moved the defensive tackles in over the offensive guards and had the defensive ends put their hands on the ground and line up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackles – thus, the origin of the 4-3 defensive alignment.

Why is this history lesson important? Well, truth be known, from a responsibilities perspective, the defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment have much more in common with defensive tackles in the 4-3 – as they were named in the 5-2. Defensive ends in a 4-3 alignment normally line up on the offensive tackle’s outside shoulder. Defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment line head up on the offensive tackle and are responsible for two gaps: between the guard and tackle and outside the tackle (between the tackle and tight end, if one is present). 3-4 defensive ends are normally larger and stronger than their 4-3 counterparts, as the “speed” pass rush comes from the outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

There are variations of defensive lineman responsibilities in both alignments; however, the two categorizations that are easiest to understand are the “read, react and control” that allow the linebackers to flow to the play, and the more aggressive “gap penetration” role that attempts to disrupt the offensive play by shooting the gaps. A common misconception is that tackles only have one-gap responsibility in the gap penetration role – rest assured that tackles have two-gap responsibilities in both schemes.

Most nose tackles are huge men with a low center of gravity, making it difficult for offensive lineman to move them; however, this has more to do with utilizing leverage than just absolute size. It is easier to play the position if the weight distribution is from the waist down – but the ability to stay low and maintain balance is paramount to success. These attributes are also important to the strong side defensive tackle in the 4-3, whereas the “3” technique defensive tackles require quickness to shoot the gap, generate a pass rush and generally disrupt the flow of the offensive play.

OK, so where do the 2010 prospects fit? Although some draft pundits have Gerald McCoy closing the gap on Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh (6’4”, 302 lbs) as the #1 prospect, I do not. Do you remember the joke “Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep? Anywhere he wants to!” – well, Mr. Suh has the ability to play either 4-3 DT position, 3-4 DE and also 3-4 NT. A few years ago, I would have been hesitant to “waste his talent” at nose tackle; however, Jay Ratliff has proven that impact players can make an impact from any position. Suh is not only a powerfully built man with the lower body to anchor his position, but also possesses excellent agility from years of playing soccer. Although McCoy is considered the quicker of the two, Suh’s time in the forty yard dash is faster.

Gerald McCoy (6’4”, 298 lbs) is leaving Oklahoma as a junior, but he is NFL-ready. He will play 3-technique DT in the 4-3 alignment and could possibly play weak-side DE in the 3-4. McCoy combines quickness with active hands to disrupt the flow of running plays as well as rushing the passer. When slanting against the run, can make himself “skinny”, exploiting gaps. His strength is in his upper body, as his lower body is not as developed as Suh’s; as a result, he has a tendency to get a bit high and can be power-drive blocked.

Dan Williams (6’2”, 329 lbs) of Tennessee is the best 3-4 NT prospect in this year’s draft – and will also make a fine 4-3 strong-side DT as well. His strength is his low center of gravity due to a lower body that allows him to win leverage battles. His upper body is excellent, as his strong hands allow him to pop and disengage or employ a swim move – good “phone booth” quickness and lateral pursuit.

Former Nittany Lion Jared Odrick (6’5”, 301 lbs) may find his niche as a 3-4 DE rather than a 4-3 DT, although he can play either position. He plays the run and pass equally well, but his long arms provide a visual barrier for QB’s when he comes off the end.

After the top four, question marks abound – the next two prospects on the Big Board have weight issues (on opposite ends of the spectrum) and are probably ranked too high. Brian Price (6’2”, 300 lbs) skipped his senior season at UCLA and has trouble maintaining his weight, ending the season under 285. Although his lower body is somewhat developed, he will be a “one-trick pony” in the pros, playing a 3 technique DT in a 4-3 to utilize his quickness. Alabama’s Terrence Cody (6’4”, 375+++ lbs), in the words of a former NFL coach, may “eat his way out of the league” – the “Mountain” could be a force at NT, but in his current condition will only contribute on 2 downs and will have to come out during an opponent’s drive that consumes first downs.

Dark horse candidates to keep an eye on include a pair of East Carolina teammates that would enhance a 3-4 line: Linval Joseph (6’6”, 322 lbs) with an ungodly wing span at DE and Jay Ross (6’3”, 314 lbs), a fireplug NT that has the explosion to disrupt plays in the backfield. Two small school NT candidates to remember: Tommie Duhart (6’3”, 329 lbs) of Valdosta State and Abe Koroma (6’3”, 317 lbs) of Western Illinois.

A lotta stuff, eh? I told you this was a deep draft for interior defensive linemen! In the next installment, we will look at the “speed guys”: 4-3 defensive ends, 3-4 outside linebackers and those rare “hybrids” that can play both positions.

The Big Ugly Hisself,

Long Ball"

You deserve to be saluted for your information loaded post. :doh:

The Big Ugly Hisself,

Long Ball"

very well done :doh:

I'm not a fan of pegging any DT draftee with any "technique" label. It's the pro coaches' job to mold rookies as to how they want them to act. I would never consider a DL player that has a collegiate history of strictly this, or that.

I'm looking for quickness off the snap, lateral movement, plugging the line even if he gets knocked on his fanny - somebody's progress was impeded with all hope. I want them to interfere with the opposing offense's plans. If they get a sack or hurry - that's nice. I want to see a head slap, a forearm club now and then. I'll suffer that personal foul assessment.

I want my DTs to do things that allow my LBs to be able to zero in on the run, or let them get into coverage. It's nice when a DT gets a sack, but I want them firstly to set the stage for the other members of the defense.

Troup isn't inherently mean and nasty; he's a hard worker. Wonderful story about him here that tells why he'd be a good risk:

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/...rell-Troup.html

One interesting pick would be Geno Atkins. I think he was in his element at the Senior Bowl, schooling Iupati more than once. Early projections are RD4, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Tampa-2 team picked him up in RD3; he's explosive--kinda what we think we were getting with McCargo...