Tech Help - Internet connection but no IE or Firefox

EZC-Boston

OK, I'm a little lost here. I'm not a super geek but I thought I knew a little bit but my current situation doesn't make sense to me. Basically I have a laptop and when I connect (wirelessly) to my network it says "excellent" but when I try to go to the internet, like TBD in IE or Firefox I get nothing. The weird part is I can get AOL IM and itunes. Is there something I'm missing?

OK, I'm a little lost here. I'm not a super geek but I thought I knew a little bit but my current situation doesn't make sense to me. Basically I have a laptop and when I connect (wirelessly) to my network it says "excellent" but when I try to go to the internet, like TBD in IE or Firefox I get nothing. The weird part is I can get AOL IM and itunes. Is there something I'm missing?

can you get to Google?

Sounds like you may not have received an IP address when you connected to your wireless router.

Assuming you use Windows, go to run and type CMD to get a commend prompt. At the commend prompt type ipconfig /all to view your IP settings - it'll show whether you have an IP address associated with any of your network adapters. If you don't, try typing ipconfig /renew to request one.

If you do have an IP address you can try and ping a site to see if you can reach the Net - type ping www.cnn.com - if you have a connection to a DHCP server www.cnn.com will resolve to an IP address and you should get return packets from the site.

From the command prompt you can also do a trace route to see just how far you can get - typre tracert www.cnn.com and see how far you get before things start to time out.

I had a similar situation recently. In my case, my computer was able to successfully connect only to secure sites (those with an https address instead of http address, such as my company's secure e-mail portal). After monkeying around with a bunch of stuff to no avail, I called a local house-call tech service for help. The guy determined that a virus had changed some of my settings. He restored them to the proper settings and voila, the problem was fixed.

Not sure if this is your situation, and obviously I can't tell you how to fix it, but the cost of the on-site visit was worth every penny because it saved me the frustration of trying to fix it myself.

I'm thinking virus. Symantec just ran and found a trojan horse, but not really sure where to go from here.

The one that hit my computer was also a trojan. My advice is to call in a professional! And also update your virus software -- the tech that helped me recommended WebRoot, which is specific to trojans and spyware, and runs in addition to a basic package like Symantec.