Another reason for going with tackles over qb's.

tennesseeboy

I really think we should concentrate on bringing in both left tackle and right tackle prospects in the draft. One reason is even if Bell should start (I'd be shocked) Recent posts made me wonder whether there were more tackle injuries in a season than qb injuries. The Bills and many others suffered injuries to offensive tackles and relied on backups. I wonder if we should not just be thinking about the starters (who suck) but also the need to have people to step in in case of injury. I guess my point is that we had better not just think of "fixing" our terrible starting offensive line but of drafting, trading or going to free agency to get three or four quality tackles in here?

Now qb's get hurt as well, but it seems that there are significant rules to protect qb's and one of the ways to best protect a qb is to provide a quality offensive line that gives him time.

Gee with all my talk about tackles and defensive line in the draft folks are gonna think I'm partial to fat guys!

I know..I know.. Pat Williams is all muscle.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

long time reader, haven't posted much but...

For all of you who think that it's necessary for the Bills to fix the LT position before fixing the QB situation...I may be missing something, and if you can convince me otherwise go ahead, but can anybody tell me how many winning seasons we had with Jason Peters? how many pro-bowl seasons we got out of our QB with Jason Peters? how many 300 yard passing games we had with Jason Peters?

For all of you who think that it's necessary for the Bills to fix the LT position before fixing the QB situation...I may be missing something, and if you can convince me otherwise go ahead, but can anybody tell me how many winning seasons we had with Jason Peters? how many pro-bowl seasons we got out of our QB with Jason Peters? how many 300 yard passing games we had with Jason Peters?

Oh boy.... you used facts and logic on them. You will burn for that.

When we had Peters the rest of the line sucked.

Dude.. Peters has TWO good years and only 1 at left tackle.. He was right tackle in 2006.. moved to left tackle half way through 2007.. then sat out the beginning of 2008 and pretty much sucked the first half of the year.. looked like a turn style. So you are asking why we didn't have a pro-bowl QB for basically 1 year? Are you serious?

We need a solid left tackle.. PERIOD!

Dude.. Peters has TWO good years and only 1 at left tackle.. He was right tackle in 2006.. moved to left tackle half way through 2007.. then sat out the beginning of 2008 and pretty much sucked the first half of the year.. looked like a turn style. So you are asking why we didn't have a pro-bowl QB for basically 1 year? Are you serious?

We need a solid left tackle.. PERIOD!

You can use all of the upper case letters you want....but the number 1 need for the Bills is Qb.

You can use all of the upper case letters you want....but the number 1 need for the Bills is Qb.

The super bowl champions LT was a backup 4th round pick named Bushrod from Towson University. (Yeah i havent heard of it either)

He was average to say the least. Did OK against Peppers and Abraham but struggled against Demarcus Ware and Jared Allen in the playoffs. Below average against Freeney in the big game even with help on that left side.

The quarterback won them the game primarily because of his accuracy and pocket sense.

They are both critical positions and its hard to say which is a better pick until you see what's available on draft day, but all things equal I would rather have an above average QB and a serviceable LT than the other way around. You can help LT's with TE's and blocking backs, but the QB is on his own.

Yes you are missing something. A probowl LT does not a great QB make. A LT's job is to protect the blind side of a right handed QB to allow them to be the best they can be. If your QB sucks, your QB sucks no matter how much time he has. They are COMPLETELY separate issues in that respect.

The point being the QB can't do his job effectively if the line doesn't do their's. People in favor of the QB first keep pointing out RARE exceptions like Manning and Brees who are MULTI year veteran, few times in a generation, QBs. As I have said before...find me a rookie in the draft that can play like that day 1 and I'll agree with the "get a better QB to make the line better with same personnel" crowd. YOU KNOW THAT GUY DOESN'T EXIST! Secondly if you can point to ONE GUY in this draft that you GUARANTEE will play like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees by their 3rd or 4th year....draft that guy!... YOU KNOW THAT GUY DOESN'T EXIST!

Sooooo...the sane thing to do with little risk is to draft a LT. Fix the line to allow whoever you have at QB AND your RBs to be the best that they can be! Hopefully that clears it up.

The super bowl champions LT was a backup 4th round pick named Bushrod from Towson University. (Yeah i havent heard of it either)

He was average to say the least. Did OK against Peppers and Abraham but struggled against Demarcus Ware and Jared Allen in the playoffs. Below average against Freeney in the big game even with help on that left side.

The quarterback won them the game primarily because of his accuracy and pocket sense.

They are both critical positions and its hard to say which is a better pick until you see what's available on draft day, but all things equal I would rather have an above average QB and a serviceable LT than the other way around. You can help LT's with TE's and blocking backs, but the QB is on his own.

That sums it up right there

Yes you are missing something. A probowl LT does not a great QB make. A LT's job is to protect the blind side of a right handed QB to allow them to be the best they can be. If your QB sucks, your QB sucks no matter how much time he has. They are COMPLETELY separate issues in that respect.

The point being the QB can't do his job effectively if the line doesn't do their's. People in favor of the QB first keep pointing out RARE exceptions like Manning and Brees who are MULTI year veteran, few times in a generation, QBs. As I have said before...find me a rookie in the draft that can play like that day 1 and I'll agree with the "get a better QB to make the line better with same personnel" crowd. YOU KNOW THAT GUY DOESN'T EXIST! Secondly if you can point to ONE GUY in this draft that you GUARANTEE will play like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees by their 3rd or 4th year....draft that guy!... YOU KNOW THAT GUY DOESN'T EXIST!

Sooooo...the sane thing to do with little risk is to draft a LT. Fix the line to allow whoever you have at QB AND your RBs to be the best that they can be! Hopefully that clears it up.

Bingo. There is no line in the history of the NFL that is going to make the 3 scrubs we have at QB currently an NFL Quality starter. Either you have it or you dont and none of them have it.

QUOTE (Webster Guy @ Feb 18 2010, 12:19 PM) *

That sums it up right there

Who is so stupid as to believe that the performance of a teams offensive line comes down to the LT and LT only?!??!?!?

Who is so stupid as to believe that a good LT guarantees a QBs success?

Who is so stupid as to think that ANYONE we get in this draft will play like Drew Brees and Peyton Manning their rookie year or ANY year for that matter?

Bingo. There is no line in the history of the NFL that is going to make the 3 scrubs we have at QB currently an NFL Quality starter. Either you have it or you dont and none of them have it.

You are correct....so what is your point? We need another QB...everyone agrees on that. The smart people understand that whoever we get at QB will amount to jack **** without a line to keep them on their feet....PLEASE....PLEASE tell me about the 2 teams in the superbowl this year and how they had non 1st rd LTs. Then also tell me which of these QBs in the draft will play like Peyton or Drew to make your "the QB makes the line better" scenario a reality!!!!

I'm waiting.