Jets want $200K from NY for their training camp expenses

Just Jack

Jets negotiate return of summer training camp to SUNY Cortland

The New York Jets want about $200,000 from state economic development agencies or other sources to offset the cost of bringing their training camp back to SUNY Cortland this summer, according to U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer.

New York’s two other professional football teams train Upstate, but neither one currently receives financial aid from state or local governments. The Buffalo Bills, who have trained for the past 10 years at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, have never asked for public money for their summer camp, said Steve Salluzzo, the college’s director of auxiliary enterprises. The New York Giants, who have trained at SUNY Albany for 14 years, initially benefited from a state investment of $2.3 million for renovations and permanent improvements to campus facilities. The money was from a SUNY construction fund. For the first seven years until 2003, the Albany Times Union newspaper agreed to be a business sponsor of the Giants and paid most of the approximately $175,000 needed to operate the camp. After the newspaper ended that arrangement, the Giants agreed to pick up the operational costs.

Jets negotiate return of summer training camp to SUNY Cortland

The New York Jets want about $200,000 from state economic development agencies or other sources to offset the cost of bringing their training camp back to SUNY Cortland this summer, according to U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer.

New York’s two other professional football teams train Upstate, but neither one currently receives financial aid from state or local governments. The Buffalo Bills, who have trained for the past 10 years at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, have never asked for public money for their summer camp, said Steve Salluzzo, the college’s director of auxiliary enterprises. The New York Giants, who have trained at SUNY Albany for 14 years, initially benefited from a state investment of $2.3 million for renovations and permanent improvements to campus facilities. The money was from a SUNY construction fund. For the first seven years until 2003, the Albany Times Union newspaper agreed to be a business sponsor of the Giants and paid most of the approximately $175,000 needed to operate the camp. After the newspaper ended that arrangement, the Giants agreed to pick up the operational costs.

Attendance was sparse at best, it didn't help Cortland or the CNY area at all. Let go someplace else.

Let 'em practice in NJ. :lol:

I'm sure the male student population of Cortland State would agree. They probably get tired of the Jets players throwin it at their girlfriends during the training camp season. I know that was the case with some of my friends who went to Fredonia back in the day when the Bills trained there. :lol:

Not naming any names.... *Cough* Friggin DeAundre Sneed *Cough*

I disagree strongly with the folks who say this did nothing for Cortland. It brought in over $4 million dollars, attracted over 34,000 people and in fact, improved the look of the city (the strip "downtown" was re-paved) and most Jets team events were held in local restaurants - not chains.

I talked to Chuck's folks today and this 200,000 figure isnt really new, but it's what the Jets want and whether you like the Jets or not (who does?) Schumer is extremely wise to push for this. Anytime you help a small town in upstate, it's a positive.

And the real reason to keep them is that as a news editor in the Syracuse market, the Jets in Cortland provide for endless easy story assignments, live shots, interviews etc!