Amplifier question

Mr Info

I want to get an amp for the 5:1 surround speakers I am installing in my house. These are OK speakers, Stealth Acoustics, but far from top of the line. I plan on attaching a couple of other low-end speakers in another room to the amp.

I would like to send digital radio, internet audio (e.g., radio), HDTV, DVD/CD, and even an old cassette and turntable (for vinyl parties) through the amp.

I am willing to pay reasonably for something but I don't need top-of-the-line equipment. Any suggestions which manufacturer/model to investigate? I had heard there is a seconds location for audiophiles who dump their equipment after a year but I have not had any luck in finding it.

Thanks

I want to get an amp for the 5:1 surround speakers I am installing in my house. These are OK speakers, Stealth Acoustics, but far from top of the line. I plan on attaching a couple of other low-end speakers in another room to the amp.

I would like to send digital radio, internet audio (e.g., radio), HDTV, DVD/CD, and even an old cassette and turntable (for vinyl parties) through the amp.

I am willing to pay reasonably for something but I don't need top-of-the-line equipment. Any suggestions which manufacturer/model to investigate? I had heard there is a seconds location for audiophiles who dump their equipment after a year but I have not had any luck in finding it.

Thanks

132129[/snapback]

http://www.avsforum.com

CW

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 330 Receiver. The receiver has a much higher current that many others, so the Watts per channel may look low, but the volume and sound clarity blows away anything else I have listened to.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail...R%20330&sType=C

I paid in the mid $500s for it and have not regreted the decision for one moment.

HK concentrates less on the bells and whistles that you will never use and puts their efforts into fantastic sound reproduction.

I don't have any recommendations, but I can tell you that regardless of what you spend on an amp, your audio will only be as good as your speakers. If your speakers suck, buy an amp that sucks, unless you plan to upgrade your speakers in the future.

I've been a fan of Denon's stuff.  Their "lower end" models (<$300) do not disappoint.

132161[/snapback]

While I love HK, I agree that Denon makes quality equipment.

The best advice I can give is spend a couple of extra bucks and avoid your Sony, Panansonic and even Yamaha. They are all about features, with less of an emphasis on quality sound. Each of these Big name brands are more likely to distort the sound when they are "pushed".

Don't just look at WAtts per channel. This number is meaningless the way many manufacturers determine the number. Often they push a single tone through the channel and get a wattage rating that way. I have yet to listen to anything on my reciever that has only a SINGLE TONE.

Do your research!

I recently purchased a Harmon Kardon DPR 1001 7.1 channel receiver. It is an all digital receiver all the way until the amplifier. I am more than satisfied with the power and sound quality. It retailed for $999, but I picked it up on a model year end clearance for $599. It dropped to $499 28 days later and the retailer price matched and credited me back the $100 difference.

Again, I highly recomend it and the other models from HK.

I used to repair audio equipment. High end stuff as well as low/mid.

Unless you are willing to shell out over a grand for a entry level true hi-fi amp buy the one that has the best warranty (and/or from the most reliable audio shop).

Unless you are willing to shell out over a grand for a entry level true hi-fi amp buy the one that has the best warranty (and/or from the most reliable audio shop).

132381[/snapback]

Examples? Would you mind being more specific on the differences, since you work in the industry?

132381[/snapback]

HEre's a real great bit of advice. Hyundai has the best warranty in the Auto industry, but I'm not running out to buy one of those.

There are numerous quality AV receivers for less than 600 dollars.

Examples?  Would you mind being more specific on the differences, since you work in the industry?

132411[/snapback]

The differences in this particular price range is typically features as well as multiple amplifier sections and perhaps name brand recogntion. But most every brand will "sound" pretty much the same. Their will be load (ie speaker) dependency issues but for the most part not much difference exists between most components (at least technically speaking) in this price range. Almost all of these amps in this price range employ the same critical sound components (typically op amps) which all sound the same. It's only when you delve into the more expensive amps that you find they use discrete components and employ better power supplies and voltage regulation techniques and thus get exponentially improved sound quality.

The best "sound" advice I offer up to people is to remember that stevestojan in = stevestojan out so if you put a crappy signal thru an amp and then out a speaker it won't miraculously sound great to your ears. Translation, spend most of your money on producing the best signal quality you can and not so much on the amplifier. After this, get yourself top notch speakers which match your chosen amplifier. Every amplifier "colors" or alters the signal it's asked to amplify. That's why some amps sound different than others with certain types of speakers. You need to buy your system as a package after careful listening tests to make sure you like what you hear. Don't buy any part of a system independantly. That's why I never offer up model or component suggestions. You have to buy them as a system!

Good luck.

The differences in this particular price range is typically features as well as multiple amplifier sections and perhaps name brand recogntion.  But most every brand will "sound" pretty much the same.  Their will be load (ie speaker) dependency issues but for the most part not much difference exists between most components (at least technically speaking) in this price range.  Almost all of these amps in this price range employ the same critical sound components (typically op amps) which all sound the same. It's only when you delve into the more expensive amps that you find they use discrete components and employ better power supplies and voltage regulation techniques and thus get exponentially improved sound quality.

The best "sound" advice I offer up to people is to remember that stevestojan in = stevestojan out so if you put a crappy signal thru an amp and then out a speaker it won't miraculously sound great to your ears. Translation, spend most of your money on producing the best signal quality you can and not so much on the amplifier. After this, get yourself top notch speakers which match your chosen amplifier.  Every amplifier "colors" or alters the signal it's asked to amplify. That's why some amps sound different than others with certain types of speakers. You need to buy your system as a package after careful listening tests to make sure you like what you hear. Don't buy any part of a system independantly.  That's why I never offer up model or component suggestions.  You have to buy them as a system!

Good luck.

132511[/snapback]

I know your not saying to buy a home theater in a box, but you can get that impression from your post. HTIB systems are garbage.

HEre's a real great bit of advice. Hyundai has the best warranty in the Auto industry, but I'm not running out to buy one of those.

There are numerous quality AV receivers for less than 600 dollars.

132433[/snapback]

I never meant to imply that you can't buy a good sounding amp for under a grand. What I'm saying is that they almost all sound the same. Primarily because they almost all use the same, or very similar, components inside the guts. I used to repair all makes and models and most of the components parts are all interchangeable.

Where you pay extra is with features and multiple channels.

I know your not saying to buy a home theater in a box, but you can get that impression from your post.  HTIB systems are garbage.

132518[/snapback]

No I am talking about separates and specifically, amplifiers, as this was what the original poster asked about.

Essentially what I'm saying is pay more attention (ie spend more money) on your input (your source ie CD/DVD etc) and your output (ie speakers) than to your amplifier. But make sure they all match (sound good) as a system.

I would stick with high end av equipment. Some great brands that I have had in the past and have today are Denon and Marantz. The bulid quality on the amps are really well done. If you don't abuse the equipment it should last you forever. It looks like your talking about doing some kind of multi room setup, so I would look for models that have this incorporated with in the receiver already. There are several good ones out there for decent money.

http://www.usa.denon.com/

http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/main.html