Kelsay

Pirate Angel

im wondering why im not seeing certain names on the ESPN ticker, I dont care if Schobel retires, Kelsay and his salary need to go I see no value in keeping him for the 3-4, we have other younger and equally unproductive DEs to convert to OLB. Maybe we can get a 5th RD pick for him?

im wondering why im not seeing certain names on the ESPN ticker, I dont care if Schobel retires, Kelsay and his salary need to go I see no value in keeping him for the 3-4, we have other younger and equally unproductive DEs to convert to OLB. Maybe we can get a 5th RD pick for him?

That's the key part of your statement right there. Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix don't care what you think or see.

The new coaching staff still needs time to evaluate Kelsay and the other DLs. Kelsay is obviously too small to play in the new 3-4 on the D-line, but might be able to transition to the 3-4 OLB spot along with Schobel and C. Ellis.

For sure the Bills are planning to put a bigger front seven on the field in 2010. A big part of that will be having much bigger OLBs on the field.

Since the Bills only have so many resources available to them to make the changes that are needed to field a 3-4, improve the QB position, and improve the O-line, they more be forced to make due with guys like Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin, and Ellis to play OLB in their new 3-4. They're not going to just start cutting these guys until they know for sure what they can do as OLBs in the 3-4.

I think Scobel will be a very good OLB in the 3-4. He played the standup LB position in college and was very good at it. He will be a bigger force for us in the 3-4 than he was in the 4-3 because he'll mostly be taking on RBs, FBs, and TEs instead of much bigger OTs. I think Maybin has a very good chance to get on the field as an OLB in the 3-4 as well. He's taylor-made for it. I'm not sure that he fits in any other position in any other alignment better than he does as an OLB in the 3-4.

Could Maybin prove to be the poor man's version of C. Bennett?? The Bills are certainly hoping so.

I'm not sure that Kelsay and Ellis can transition to OLBs in the 3-4, but they at least have the size and quickness to do so.

Guys like Palmer, Corto, Ellison, DiGiorgio, and Harris are way undersized and may not be given much of a chance to stick around as a result.

Of that group, I'd like to see the Bills try to keep Harris and bulk him up to play OLB in the 3-4 because I think he has outstanding quickness and above average instincts to play LB in the NFL.

While we're at it, Mitchell is already a solid ILB for the 3-4. He has very good size, quickness, instincts and toughness to play the position. Poz is best suited to play ILB in the 3-4 rather than MLB in the 4-3, but may need to bulk up to the 245 lb range to be effective. He's currently around 238 lbs so that's very doable.

With all of the needs that the Bills have I think it will be difficult for them to try to acquire a whole slew of potential starting LBs. Today, they could start Schobel, Mitchell, Poz, and Maybin, which could turn out to be a pretty good group.

I'm glad to hear that. I know that he looked considerably bigger and more muscular this past year than the year before.

He has seemed to be very injury prone, but with the added size/strength and bigger DLs projected to be in front of him there's a good chance that he will be more effective and still healthier longer. We need him to be on the field all season long.

I really think he is better suited for the 3-4 as an ILB than the 4-3 as a MLB.

If he's at 250 lbs then he's already got the size that he needs to play the ILB spot in the 3-4.

Whatever you say coach :unsure:

The new coaching staff still needs time to evaluate Kelsay and the other DLs. Kelsay is obviously too small to play in the new 3-4 on the D-line, but might be able to transition to the 3-4 OLB spot along with Schobel and C. Ellis.

For sure the Bills are planning to put a bigger front seven on the field in 2010. A big part of that will be having much bigger OLBs on the field.

Since the Bills only have so many resources available to them to make the changes that are needed to field a 3-4, improve the QB position, and improve the O-line, they more be forced to make due with guys like Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin, and Ellis to play OLB in their new 3-4. They're not going to just start cutting these guys until they know for sure what they can do as OLBs in the 3-4.

I think Scobel will be a very good OLB in the 3-4. He played the standup LB position in college and was very good at it. He will be a bigger force for us in the 3-4 than he was in the 4-3 because he'll mostly be taking on RBs, FBs, and TEs instead of much bigger OTs. I think Maybin has a very good chance to get on the field as an OLB in the 3-4 as well. He's taylor-made for it. I'm not sure that he fits in any other position in any other alignment better than he does as an OLB in the 3-4.

Could Maybin prove to be the poor man's version of C. Bennett?? The Bills are certainly hoping so.

I'm not sure that Kelsay and Ellis can transition to OLBs in the 3-4, but they at least have the size and quickness to do so.

Guys like Palmer, Corto, Ellison, DiGiorgio, and Harris are way undersized and may not be given much of a chance to stick around as a result.

Of that group, I'd like to see the Bills try to keep Harris and bulk him up to play OLB in the 3-4 because I think he has outstanding quickness and above average instincts to play LB in the NFL.

While we're at it, Mitchell is already a solid ILB for the 3-4. He has very good size, quickness, instincts and toughness to play the position. Poz is best suited to play ILB in the 3-4 rather than MLB in the 4-3, but may need to bulk up to the 245 lb range to be effective. He's currently around 238 lbs so that's very doable.

With all of the needs that the Bills have I think it will be difficult for them to try to acquire a whole slew of potential starting LBs. Today, they could start Schobel, Mitchell, Poz, and Maybin, which could turn out to be a pretty good group.

I've actually been thinking that they might try to keep Kelsey for when they go with 4 linemen (as they said they would in passing situations). He's a little over-paid for a starting DE, but he did do a good job last season under Sanders and hopefully can continue that. the only real way I see him leaving is if he is absolutely worthless in the new system or they can trade him. I can't see him being bad enough to warrant being released outright.

For sure I think we'll see the Bills acquire or draft some DT types for the new 3-4 alignment. That's an area where we don't have a lot of the type of players that we need to play the new scheme effectively.

Like some have said, we seem to have plenty of potential OLBs for the 3-4 and we have Mitchell, Poz, and possibly Draft to play the ILB spots.

What we need is a space-eating NT and at least one DT to keep the opposing OLs off of our LBs so that the LBs can run free to the ball.

They are still waiting for the Colts reply about trading Kelsay, Lynch, Trenty, Whitner and a 5x7 of Jauron for Peyton Manning since he can't seem to win the Super Bowl anymore!

Why does everyone need everything to happen immediately? Perhaps they're waiting to see if they can trade him, they could even hang onto him through camp to see if he has value in the 3-4. Also, who cares about his salary it's not like the money is coming out of your pocket.

That's the key part of your statement right there. Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix don't care what you think or see.

Or should care. They should ignore press and fans, do their own evaluation of players and determine if each player's strengths and weaknesses will fit scheme they design not dump the players first unless they have a large bonus due.

Kelsay was 280 at the combine.

Under DJ & co, he was playing well under his natural weight.

If Kelsay is going to stay with the team, he will get back to his original weight and play DE.

People posted the exact same thing when the Bills went to the Cover 2.

If the Bills want to cut him because he makes to much money that's one thing.

Until they get to minicamp, noone really knows if any player currently on the team can play end in the 3-4.

Maybe because Kelsay actually had a pretty damn good year, and was one of the most consistent players on our defense this year? Could that be it? BTW, I was always very critical of Kelsay coming into '09. He played better than I expected.

was he better or where his stats better because our defense was on the field all the time?