Pitoniak

turftoe

#9 pick for a 33 year old guy? Good grief. :worthy:

I'm going to re-post what I mentioned in a dead thread:

If Philly is willing to go the conditional pick route with us, I'd send them the exact same structure for a deal that netted Favre: at least a 4th, a 3rd with 50% of snaps played, a 2nd with 70% played+playoffs, and 1st for a Super Bowl appearance. I think the Bills would ultimately need to offer more, though, considering that they need a QB very badly and that McNabb is a good deal younger than Favre was at the time of the deal. I'd offer as much as a conditional 2011 pick with this structure, and our third this year.

I think a guaranteed third, and a fourth in 2011 that escalates with 2010 performance is a hell of a deal. Philly wipes McNabb's contract off the books, moves toward its future, and if McNabb comes out re-energized with the Bills, Buffalo pays a return worthy of that performance.

If it'd take a 2010 second-rounder plus the conditional pick, I'd probably still do it. I agree with you that guaranteeing a first, especially in the top-ten, is beyond ridiculous.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't remember the move for Bledsoe, does he? That move did not get us far. 9-7, but still no playoff berth.

Bledsoe and Rob Johnson. Why do SMART teams usually not trade first round picks for aging QBs? It is like Levy said, "if you listen to the fans you will end up sitting with them". That is where Donahoe is today partly because of the bonehead trade for Bledsoe.

And we got to 9-7 with Bledsoe partly because we had a pretty good defense at that time.

Bledsoe and Rob Johnson. Why do SMART teams usually not trade first round picks for aging QBs? It is like Levy said, "if you listen to the fans you will end up sitting with them". That is where Donahoe is today partly because of the bonehead trade for Bledsoe.

And we got to 9-7 with Bledsoe partly because we had a pretty good defense at that time.

"Aging" Rob Johnson was 25 in 1998. Linky thing with birthday etc.

It turned out to be a bad move, but teams move picks for guys with a small sample size of success all the time (Schaub, Favre, Feeley, etc). Sometimes it works out, sometimes you buy a house. Oops!

Just to play devil's advocate here, the knock against McNabb seems to be that he's older and he's not going to be able to play that much longer. So let's say he's got 3 decent years left that he could give to the Bills. On the other hand, you could use a high draft pick like our first rounder to bring in a rookie who in all likelihood isn't going to really be a solid NFL QB for a few seasons (and that's if we somehow mnage not to draft another bust who we take a few years to find out he doesn't have it). Say we sign that guy to a 5 year rookie deal at huge money because he's a top 10 pick - in a best case scenario he might only give us 3 solid years before his contract is up, and if he's a good young QB at the end of those 5 years you think Buffalo's going to pony up the big $ it would take to retain his services? You could say that with McNabb or a rookie you're only going to get a few good years - at least McNabb's proven and could be cheaper.....

Add to that, I don't see any QB I want at #9. Told Scott I'd still rather use that pick on either a top LT prospect or a front-seven playmaker, but the idea of bringing in McNabb does have some merit.

I would trade Maybin for McNabb wouldnt you?

This is the Bills guys, we draft Whitners and McCargos and Maybins with our top picks, not Ed Reeds, Ngatas and Orakpos. Our first round picks are basically UDFA. We have the same personnel in the FO as last year, just without guy. Nix was in the draft room when they signed off on Maybin. What makes you think it will be any different this year?

a top ten pick is worth squat in the hands of the Bills FO. We might as well get a sure fire PB QB out of it.

Excellent point.

Is there ONE 1st round draft pick from the 2000s decade that you WOULDN'T trade for McNabb?? Evans would be the only one that would make me think about first. But otherwise, I would trade every other 1st round pick (that we drafted) still on our roster for McNabb. Drafting for the Bills is a shot dark. Very very dark.

1st round way too much. 2nd maybe, if you had to. I'd say tho, throw Whitner in the deal and make it a 3rd or so.

by the way, here in Denver people are screaming to get McNabb, some even say trading Dumervil is worth it.

If we trade our #1 for Mcnabb it clearly shows we are run by a bunch of clowns. I might trade the #9 overpick for Manning, Brees, Rivers, Brady and maybe a Rogers but not for an aging vet like Mcnabb. I would love to see a play for him but anything more than a thrid round this year is too much. Fix the DAMN Lines first he is not a good enough QB to make the line look good like manning can.

Great research Brady 32, Manning 33, McNabb33, Brees 31 and just to show you Warner 38, Brett "I am Forty" Farve

This is the Bills guys, we draft Whitners and McCargos and Maybins with our top picks, not Ed Reeds, Ngatas and Orakpos. Our first round picks are basically UDFA. We have the same personnel in the FO as last year, just without guy. Nix was in the draft room when they signed off on Maybin. What makes you think it will be any different this year?

a top ten pick is worth squat in the hands of the Bills FO. We might as well get a sure fire PB QB out of it.

I would never trade a 1st round pick for a aging QB. But your post can really make someone think twice. Good post.

I see a 3 to 4 yr rebuilding project. Bythat time McNabb will be retired or injured. Stay the course and draft our own players.

Give me Hampton, Mcnabb, a franchise LT rd 1, WR rd.2, Seymour and Schobel or some one decent at OLB and I will show you a team that makes the playoffs next year.

I see a 3 to 4 yr rebuilding project. Bythat time McNabb will be retired or injured. Stay the course and draft our own players.

ditto - we have young talent; develop it already! Brohm, Wood, Levitre, Byrd, Nelson, Harris - draft studs next two years and we'll be ok.

McNabb = Bledsoe = short term 8-8, long term fail.