I'm actually going to see the Residents perform tonight

PromoTheRobot

The Residents

I never thought I'd actually get the chance to see them live. They have always been this avant garde legend. It could be totally bizarre and way over my head but I want to see them first hand. Anyone ever see them before?

PTR

The middle east is a great place to see a show. I saw Clutch there a few years ago, good times. :beer:

The Residents

I never thought I'd actually get the chance to see them live. They have always been this avant garde legend. It could be totally bizarre and way over my head but I want to see them first hand. Anyone ever see them before?

PTR

I have so much envy for you I could punch a child.

Fingerprince and eskimo are two of my favorite records. I've watched dozens of bootleg live videos--each gig looks crazier/better than the one before.

I'm determined to see the Residents and Tom Waits before I die.

Well it's 1am and I just gt back. I have to say I liked it more than I expected. It was bizarre. It was creepy. It was funny. And it had a lot of humanity, if you will.

They came out as a 3-piece. The lead singer "Randy" introduced "Chuck" on keyboards/computer and "Bob" on guitar. Chuck and Bob wore all black with gas masks and head cover that looked like Medusa hair. Randy wore a skull cap mask to make him look like a bald old man, but his eyes and bottom half of his face were visible. Randy explained that the 4th member, "Carlos", retired and moved to Mexico.

They played mostly their new album "The Talking Light". Best way to describe it is an old man's memories of events and people that are either supernatural or all inside the head of someone who is a whackjob. The music was mostly brooding but they rocked out at times, in the Residents unique way.

The show is a mix of horror (in story form) and humor. A real mix of David Lynch, Primus, Captain Beefheart, etc. If you only know the Residents from seeing the odd video clip on YouTube, it's easy to dismiss them as wayout weird, but seeing them live gives you a different appreciation. Their music has has structure and melody, just not the kind we are used to. And seeing it performed live makes you feel like these guys really put themselves into their music. It's not just weird schitt...it's their art.

They played about two hours. They finished with some songs people knew though I have no idea what they were. Came out for one encore. As they were tearing down the stage I got to speak with the dude who was tearing down the keyboards and computers. Nice friendly guy in his 60's who obviously was with the band a long time. Told me that the Residents really were a quartet and "Carlos" really did retire because he's 65 and couldn't deal with touring anymore.

65. These guys started at the time of the Beatles and are still making...whatever they make. My guess "Carlos" is really Hardy Fox who turns 65 this year. Homer Flynn is rumored to be the vocalist so he's still around. The dude confirmed the guitarist was a young man. When I asked him directly if he was the keyboardist he smiled and said "Who knows? Anyone could be a Resident. You could be one." They still value their anonymity. The dude even said that their lack of celebrity frees them to do whatever they wish. But it was obvious they weren't touring with a large crew so I think it's a good guess the keyboard/computer guy was breaking down his own gear. He did have a somewhat European accent. Could he have been the enigmatic Mr. N. Senada?

The Residents are offering audio downloads of each performance at http://theresidents.downloadcentric.net/app There are some free samples to give you and idea. They play Montreal, Toronto, Chicago and Milwaukee if you are inclined to see them.

PTR

I found this video. It was one of their encores last night. Something more accessible. This was actually broadcast on NBC.

PTR

man, that is one amazing video. You have simply got to love the Residents. Doing whatever the hell they want for 40 years.

Who else would make an album like Eskimo? For every other band on earth its a career killer.

How was the crowd at the Middle East? One of my favorite places to see the show. Downstairs I assume? I saw Shinedown there a while back, pretty sure I couldn't hear for a few days after.

It was downstairs. I'm guessing 400 was the attendance. (550 is capacity) Full but not packed. They did not crank the sound as loud as it could have been. But I wear ear protection anyway to spare what hearing I have left. I love the ME. Decent grub, good selection of beers on tap and the chance to see acts you can't see anywhere else. I saw Arthur Lee with Love there about a year before he passed away.

PTR