CBS Coverage of the Super Bowl

buckeyemike

I liked Simms and Nantz, and the laid back feeling of the actual game presentation.

I don't like the Fox broadcasts of events like this, as they go so over the top in visuals and sound, that they get in the way of the game for me.

CBS's broadcast seemed like it was focused on a normal game, but a big one. I liked it, not a lot of hype during the actual game.

I had the exact same thought during the game. It was refreshing and enjoyable that they didn't over-hype the brodcast or include gimmicks. Great job.

A couple of observations:

-They cut to commercial after the failed 2 point conversion saying "it's a 5 point game" only to come back and have the play overturned. On such a close call, it was inevitable that there would be a review, they jumped the gun by being so definitive.

- There was also some confusion when Nance seemed to declare that Greer intercepted Manning in the end zone, only to find out that it was still the Colts ball after the penalty.

Other than those minor glitches, it was a very enjoyable "low-key" broadcast.

The thing I didn't like about CBS coverage was after the game. I saw the trophy presentation, but after that...? No MVP presentation, no coverage of the locker room with the champange, absolutely no coverage of New Orleans partying, hardly any interviews. Did I miss something?? I thought in games past they showed tons of after game celebration right in the locker room etc. Thoughts on this?? Kinda pissed me off actually.

Time had run short and my guess is that CBS wanted to get right into showing that undercover CEO show.

One more observation -

I don't know if it's the NFL or CBS who's responsible, but I found the trophy presentation to be awkward because of the small raised stage. The presenter was practically being mobbed by Saints players trying to touch the trophy as he brings it up to the stage. Then they get it way up there and the stage is enough to hold Nantz, the commish, Saints owner and his wife, Sean Payton along with Brees and a couple of Saints. So there's this exclusive group in a raised stage enjoying the Lombardi Trophy while 50 players and the rest of the coaching staff who contributed to the victory are secluded below like a bunch of unworthy peasants. The way I see it, nix the stage and do the presentation on ground level.

One more observation -

I don't know if it's the NFL or CBS who's responsible, but I found the trophy presentation to be awkward because of the small raised stage. The presenter was practically being mobbed by Saints players trying to touch the trophy as he brings it up to the stage. Then they get it way up there and the stage is enough to hold Nantz, the commish, Saints owner and his wife, Sean Payton along with Brees and a couple of Saints. So there's this exclusive group in a raised stage enjoying the Lombardi Trophy while 50 players and the rest of the coaching staff who contributed to the victory are secluded below like a bunch of unworthy peasants. The way I see it, nix the stage and do the presentation on ground level.

Len Dawson looked pretty uncomfortable on that walk. Not how it should have been.

As with the Stanley Cup, the Captains (or at least the coach or owner) should be the first to touch it. It's a show of respect.

But it's also a show of respect that they should've all been on the same level rather than a small dais like that. Why couldn't they have brought that large NFL platform one out that was used for the anthem?

Len Dawson looked pretty uncomfortable on that walk. Not how it should have been.

As with the Stanley Cup, the Captains (or at least the coach or owner) should be the first to touch it. It's a show of respect.

But it's also a show of respect that they should've all been on the same level rather than a small dais like that. Why couldn't they have brought that large NFL platform one out that was used for the anthem?

That's the way I see it too. I was just thinking that it must have sucked to have been one of the players down on the ground looking up at the presentation. The exclusion was unnecessary and much different from the way the NHL handles it.

I don't know what it is about CBS Sports, but I have never liked their NFL coverage. Well, since the days of Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, and Jimmy the Greek on the old NFL Today show.

I'm not a fan of Jim Nantz. I always think of the Masters when I hear him. Simms is very good (better than Troy Aikman, but still a distant second to Cris Collinsworth).

Can't stand the pregame show, though. Thoughts?

There is one thing in their favor, they have the best looking HD feed of all the networks.

I don't know what it is about CBS Sports, but I have never liked their NFL coverage. Well, since the days of Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George, and Jimmy the Greek on the old NFL Today show.

I'm not a fan of Jim Nantz. I always think of the Masters when I hear him. Simms is very good (better than Troy Aikman, but still a distant second to Cris Collinsworth).

Can't stand the pregame show, though. Thoughts?

My favorite part is listening to Shannon Sharpe's lisp. Yesterday he said something like "If Peyton Manning wanths to thement himthelf as thomebody thpecial, then he needths to win thith game." Classic. I was laughing my a** off.

There is one thing in their favor, they have the best looking HD feed of all the networks.

There are times though, where HD can be a curse, Depending on who you're looking at.

Unrelated comment - Are those some tiny ass ears on Jim Caldwell or what???

Pic

My favorite part is listening to Shannon Sharpe's lisp. Yesterday he said something like "If Peyton Manning wanths to thement himthelf as thomebody thpecial, then he needths to win thith game." Classic. I was laughing my a** off.

How does Sharpe even have a job as a analyst? Guy can't talk with all those mumblings going on. I don't even know what the hell he is saying half the time! Freakin marble mouth!!

You just can't compare the SB trophy and presentation to the Stanley Cup. Stanley Cup is all about tradition, respect for the sport and honor of everyone who has ever won it. Lombardi trophy is cool, but it just doesn't hold a light to the Cup. NHL Playoffs are the best by far, in my opinion. Yes, I know NFL is a million times more popular than the NHL. And, don't even get started on the NBA trophy. Most people don't even know the name of it.

I generally like CBS better than Fox, but either option isn't a really great choice. I feel like pregame shows have turned into slapstick displays of one-upmanship. I think that analysts try to insert themselves too much into the game. Simms "calling" a no-blitz before the games most important play is a great example. That happens with Buck and Aikman, too. It's worse in baseball, though for those who watch that. Buck and McCarver are incredibly hard to watch. Aren't analysts supposed to comment on previous plays, or pitches? These guys now seem to want to prove that they know what's coming.

I like Al Michaels. He calls the game without the air of superiority. I don't have an opinion of Collingsworth, which means he probably does a good job in my book. Just my $.02.