The 3-4 Defense is Here

Three guys who could have a big immediate impact and huge long-term on are defense could all be had in this draft. Rounds 1-3 are below.

Rolando McClain

Terrence Cody

Eric Norwood

I see these three as starting for the length of their contracts (hopefully 4-5 years each). Originally, I thought Cody would have to be had in the late first round, but he has appeared out of shape and heavier. Could this drop him down to the second round? If we don't believe Schobel can make the transition to OLB then see if he can be moved to another team for a late second rounder, but most likely a third.

This does nothing to address the offensive side of the ball. The only positions that should be drafted on the offensive side of the ball are OT's and a QB. The only QB I see worth drafting is Clausen, but I don't think it should be done with the offensive line as it is.

Yeah and instead of drafting those guys the Bills could work on the offense, the true problem with this team, and left the defense alone. Instead they'll burn a bunch of unnecessary picks switching to a defense for who knows what reason. This is crazy.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree a lot with Dr Fung.......they do not have personnel to run the 3-4 at this time. They will end up spending a lot of picks and FA acquisitions on changing a defense. They are using a scheme they like and trying to make the personnel fit it. Defense was NOT the problem this year, in fact they kept this horrific offense in every game until the 4th quarter. You could really upgrade the defense we had with one playmaking LB and that would be it. Now we need to find 3-4 playmakers to fit the 3-4 scheme and end up concentrating heavily on BOTH offense and defense.

I'm guessing Schobel is gone. retire, trade or cut. No way he wants to go through the change at this point in his career. he's already on the bubble.

Actually, I believe I heard something about Schobel expressing interest in that change and something he would consider instead of retirement... :lol:

Actually, I believe I heard something about Schobel expressing interest in that change and something he would consider instead of retirement... :lol:

Why does everyone think that a guy like schobel or maybin can just move to OLB? And would want to? The thing about 3-4 is that not both guys come. they have to be able to tackle and do run support, as well as cover TE's and slot receivers. What makes you think Schobel and Maybin can and want to do that?

Maybin could be used as Byrce Paup type?? although, I liked Paup more than I like Maybin at this point.

Nelson could/should be 10 year starter at tight end

Paup had one great season with us. then teams learned he was pretty much one dimensional.

Yeah and instead of drafting those guys the Bills could work on the offense, the true problem with this team, and left the defense alone. Instead they'll burn a bunch of unnecessary picks switching to a defense for who knows what reason. This is crazy.

It's still early but my thoughts are we will be running a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. To do so all we really need is a NT in the draft. Opinions always vary but it looks like there will be 3 guys to consider. Dan Williams, Terrance Cody and Cam Thomas. 1 if not all 3 of those guys should be available by our second round pick. We bring in a serviceable veteran and let him and the rookie duke it out.

This still leaves us with the #9 overall for a LT or a possibly a QB depending on which position we fill in free agency.

Agree a lot with Dr Fung.......they do not have personnel to run the 3-4 at this time. They will end up spending a lot of picks and FA acquisitions on changing a defense. They are using a scheme they like and trying to make the personnel fit it. Defense was NOT the problem this year, in fact they kept this horrific offense in every game until the 4th quarter. You could really upgrade the defense we had with one playmaking LB and that would be it. Now we need to find 3-4 playmakers to fit the 3-4 scheme and end up concentrating heavily on BOTH offense and defense.

Don't panic. Check the signature.

Perhaps the Bills are serious about building a team that can win a championship and not one that can just get back to .500 football or just making the playoffs and not winning them. it will time and multiple strong drafts followed by the signing of key free agents.

Perhaps the Bills are serious about building a team that can win a championship and not one that can just get back to .500 football or just making the playoffs and not winning them. it will time and multiple strong drafts followed by the signing of key free agents.

Whooppee another 3-5 year rebuilding project. Wonder how this one will work out.

As someone pointed out this just seems like another inflexible defensive scheme that doesn't play to the strengths of the players they have, but rather blindly chases after players to fit the scheme. It's this kind of thinking that lost us Pat Williams.

Why does everyone think that a guy like schobel or maybin can just move to OLB? And would want to? The thing about 3-4 is that not both guys come. they have to be able to tackle and do run support, as well as cover TE's and slot receivers. What makes you think Schobel and Maybin can and want to do that?

Why does everyone think that we are switching to a 3 - 4 100% when we will be running a hybrid?

Why does everyone forget that Schobel can tackle, support the run and occasionally drop into coverage from his DE spot?

Why does everyone think that "First Step" "High Motor" Maybin CAN'T move to OLB?

Answer me those questions.

If I'm not mistaken Maybin is 100% fine with playing LB and his mentor Lavaar Arrington basically said that this is where he feels Maybin should be anyway.

I have no information of this myself but others have said that this move may actually sway Schobel into continuing to play instead of retiring.

I think it means that we have possibly seen the end of Schobel in Buffalo. The bigger question is, do the Bills go with Kelsey at the DE position. I think we will finally see what Maybin is made of. There is a good chance that he will convert to an OLB. I don't think we will see him down in 3 point stance at all this year which means he should be able to utilize his biggest stregth which is speed.

I think it means that we have possibly seen the end of Schobel in Buffalo. The bigger question is, do the Bills go with Kelsey at the DE position. I think we will finally see what Maybin is made of. There is a good chance that he will convert to an OLB. I don't think we will see him down in 3 point stance at all this year which means he should be able to utilize his biggest stregth which is speed.

I would tend to disagree on Schobel. If anything I think this might make it more likely that he stays. Schobel finally had his first good year since 2006. I don't think that it is health or effectiveness that could be driving him to retire. If anything I would say it was frustration with the organization, coaching and the schemes that Buffalo has run.

I would guess we keep Kelsay or Denney as a back up or rotational DE. Whichever is cheaper in my mind.

I agree with most of what you said. I just don't see Harris making the team next year. Ellison could stay because he's an RFA, but I guess another team might try to sign him from us (maybe the lack of UFAs will cause more teams to look at the RFAs seriously). I think Stroud can play DE and so can WIlliams, but we still need an NT.

Maybe they'll convert Ellison to SS; he played that position in college at one point and his strong suite is pass coverage anyway.

Comparisons to Paup at his best are ridiculous. Paup's big sack numbers came when he had Bruce Smith and Reggie White lining up opposite him. You know, the all-time NFL leaders in sacks, two of the most dominant and greatest players ever. Moving to the here and now, Kevin Williams doesn't hold Bruce Smith's jock.