Dwight Freeney vs Big Mike

Frez

Probably none since Freeney is most likely Jonas Jennings' man.

10032[/snapback]

That is correct. Since Jonas is a gametime decision, I bet the Bills run the ball heavily in the 1st half. I wish see the Bills work on the running game anyhow. I know Bledsoe can throw and the WR's are solid. Might be boring but very beneficial for the regular season preparation.

That is correct. Since Jonas is a gametime decision, I bet the Bills run the ball heavily in the 1st half. I wish see the Bills work on the running game anyhow. I know Bledsoe can throw and the WR's are solid. Might be boring but very beneficial for the regular season preparation.

10045[/snapback]

:doh:

Williams will eat Freeny alive, literally. All jokes aside though, if Mike gets his hands on Freeny it's over. Too bad they will line up against each other maybe 3-4 plays if that tonight, Mike needs work against speed guys, and Freeny offers that for sure. Once Mike learns to not give up the long outside rush he will look a lot like the guy we all hoped we were getting, cause he can run block and you can't bullrush him. Freeny is overrated a bit as well, he can only play a guy like Brent Smith a few games a year and he isn't a factor vs. a good LT.

This is exactly why though we fans love the mano a mano match-ups, the key to understanding and analyzing it is that it is a team game. Just because Freeney may end up with some big numbers will not mean that a particular Bill failed oe alternately if Freeney ends up with lousy production this will not mean a particular Bill succeeded.

If folks are interested in rationally making a statement (and we're all just fans so rationality is totally optional here) assess whether:

1. Williams who plays RT and Freeney who is listed as an RDE actually line up against each other. They won't by the positions they are listed at, but as Ds usually flip-flop to confuse Os they may from time to time. However, since this is pre-season and neither will see a full game the chances of this happening are reduced.

2. Take a look at the rushing plays of the D. Freeney may line up facing Williams on a particular play, but if the D rush is built around stunting, Freeney's rush may actually be to the inside if Williams sticks with him rather than guarding his zone he may stop Freeney but be blameworthy for a sack by a DT who stunted and came through his spot.

3. Take a look and try (and I do mean try since no outside observer can usually no for sure)to figure out our blocking scheme. Perhaps Freeney may come wide and beat Williams hands down but if our blocking scheme call for the TE to stay in and pick up the wide rush, I'd say there was no sack on the play but advantage Freeney who has taken 2 men to defend 1 and taken a receiver out of the pass pattern.

The game is interesting to me because it is far more than the man-to-man face-off we fans tend to love and falsely categorize in assessing the game. if one really want mano-a-mano faceoffs I suggest you watch boxing and not football.

According to the Indy website, Freeney is the RDE.  He will be going up against the LT unless they move him around ala Bruce Smith.

10057[/snapback]