What You Need To Know About the Potential Lockout

I agree with pretty much exverything you said; save one concept. IMO these guys want to win - at all costs. They're in markets that allow them to charge more for tickets, luxury boxes, shirts, advertising, etc. They want all that money in their pocket so they can bring in every and any player they want. Essentially, they want to buy a championship.

Make them choose between the profit and the championship. That's when you find out what they value more :blink: I don't think it's the championship. Their situation is that they have the profit and want the championship *in addition* to that.

ESPN, even Tim Graham, has developed a sudden case of amnesia about how Ralph Wilson tried to warn the other owners this was a bad deal. After all how can an old coot like Ralph, a guy helped make the NFL what it is today, teach anything to whiz-kids like Kraft, Snyder and Jones?

I hope the other NFL in mid-sized NFL markets think twice before hitching their wagons to the "Gang of Three."

PTR

This is true - Ralph is again ahead of the curve in planning for the lockout

He knows there will be a lockout in 2011 and he is assembling the perfect staff to coach a bunch of young, unskilled replacement players. By getting coaches well versed in coaching 2nd tier recruits at GT, bad talent at KC and NFL rejects in the CFL, the Bills will have a major advantage over all other staffs in 2011. not to mention the CFL dude will have an inside pipeline to scab players from Canada - a perfect tie-in to the Toronto connection.

Ralph's plan is to win the Super Bowl in 2011 - nobody will remember if it was tainted by the lockout.

Anyone know where Shane Falco is?

very interesting indeed. and ralph will have like no costs if the league stops. stadium paid for, etc etc. guys like Jones, et al have billion $ stadiums to pay for.. owners will be under pressure to cave .. should be interesting...

The TV money will still flow- so the networks will be expecting some product on the field

The TV money will still flow- so the networks will be expecting some product on the field

I think you can safely assume the networks have provisions in their contracts with the NFL re: a potential lock out. The networks will not keep the money flowing at the same rate if there is no product to sell advertising for.

If the NFL puts in relacement players (and I don't think they can), you can be assured that the networks will not be paying the same rate they were for non replacement players.

I will almost always side with the workers against the owners in contract disputes or negotiations, EXCEPT in this situation. I think the players got too greedy here. The old system of using just the tv money for the players salaries was much more stable especially for the smaller market teams.

This looks much worse for the players than I thought. They may be under the gun to get a deal. Goodell may have been banking on the players realizing how bad an uncapped year would be for them and by waiting he's put them under the gun. Since a lot of teams, IMO, will use this uncapped year to cut a lot of overpaid vets the union is in a tough place. I think a deal gets done this year. JMO

This looks much worse for the players than I thought. They may be under the gun to get a deal. Goodell may have been banking on the players realizing how bad an uncapped year would be for them and by waiting he's put them under the gun. Since a lot of teams, IMO, will use this uncapped year to cut a lot of overpaid vets the union is in a tough place. I think a deal gets done this year. JMO

I don't know, the union seems dead set on not making concessions. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Rich men fighting rich men over more money. It's really the same thing as Hobo Fights.