What the hell is this all about?

Rudyc80

Giambra wants to raise the sales tax to 9.25% to cover the Medicaid costs for the county. In order to force the county legislature and the state assembly to let him do it, he has proposed a "red" scorched earth budget that will go into place without the new sales tax. This budget eliminates libraries, snow plowing, sheriff patrols and about 3,000 county workers. The legislature has to approve a budget by Dec 7, at which time this whole fiasco should be worked out.

I hadn't thought about it affecting the Bills game in January, but I guess the Sheriff patrols would have to be replaced by some other means if the "red" budget goes into effect.

There is another problem. The county budget must account for state and federal mandated programs, as well as local services. Now, according to Giambra, state and federal mandated programs accounted for 88% of the county budget. Thats absolutely obscene. Remove federal from the equation, and state mandated programs account for 80% of our budget.

Now, the majority of the 80% is medicaid. Medicaid has been pushed from the state level to the county level. NYS has some of the most ridiculous medicaid laws in the USA. For example, a person must simply cross state lines to be eligible for medicaid. Secondly, as an example, an individual on medicaid may get their eyes checked 5x's/ year, which medicaid will cover.

Now, both examples are completely ridiculous. Why NYS could not enact a residency requirement for medicaid recipients? Say two years? That would actually cut the cost of medicaid in NYS by 1/4, as the system will be unable to be taken advantage of by transient individuals. Secondly, cut medicaid services. Do people really their eyes checked 5x per year, absolutely not. Once is sufficient. There are many other examples of ridiculous cost overruns, such as I have just mentioned.

However, if medicaid was reformed (and there are many good aspects to the program, but too many ridiculous portions of it), the state would save an astronomical amount of money. That would allow for a budget that focuses more on local services (snowplow, zoo, housing etc.).

It appears that Giambra is telling the truth here. Personally, I think he should take a stand and tell Albany to shove it. But, what he is doing regarding forcing the issue with the "red" and "blue" budgets is actually a good thing, and hopefully, can lead to changes.

Well, at least I won't feel the need to get involved when I see another ECSD Deputy harassing someone and unlawfully detaining them like I did on Sunday. (I didn't get involved as I wanted to be able to get in the game, unlike the poor fellow who got shoved up against the dumpster for not showing enough "respect" to the deputy)

Guest Guest Bleeding Heart
Why NYS could not enact a residency requirement for medicaid recipients?  Say two years?  That would actually cut the cost of medicaid in NYS by 1/4, as the system will be unable to be taken advantage of by transient individuals.  Secondly, cut medicaid services.  Do people really their eyes checked 5x per year, absolutely not.  Once is sufficient.  There are many other examples of

130458[/snapback]

Oh you're so "intolerent". :lol:

Instead, we should all believe in "diversity" and force all those "big corporations" to pay "their fair share". :lol:

Oh, wait a minute - my vibrator battery is running low. :lol:

Where is the Hildabeast (Clinton)on this? Does she not come to Western NY since the election. She will save you all from evrything evil as your taxes continue to increase and people continue to leave. :w00t:

130615[/snapback]

Hillary has been too busy working on getting buffalo some needed art money

Artspace - Buffalo

what the hell is that? who cares about this ? i could think of a few better things to do with 250K to help out WNY and the city of buffalo then this garbage

Turns out the "Red Budget" was all a big scam by County Reject-utive Giambra to pass the extra penny sales tax. The extra penny tax has enough votes to pass after Giambra promised to share some of the proceeds with town governments. Anything bought in Erie County will now have a 9.25% sales tax starting in January. It also means no big cuts in Sheriff Patrols or anything else so the Bills-Steelers game on January 2nd will not be moved.

Well, at least I won't feel the need to get involved when I see another ECSD Deputy harassing someone and unlawfully detaining them like I did on Sunday. (I didn't get involved as I wanted to be able to get in the game, unlike the poor fellow who got shoved up against the dumpster for not showing enough "respect" to the deputy)

I went down to "venders row" Sunday. I rode my bike so that I could get back to work faster. I bought about $100 worth of "tailgater" shirts to give away in my lot as a "Thank You" for parking in my lot. As I Walked my bike up Abbott Road with my right hand, I had 3 clear bags of shirts in my left hand I was stopped by a ECSD and asked where did I get the shirts, "Venders Row" I said , next I was asked "did you pay for them?" "Of Course" I said. Next I was told I was getting an attitude and "Do you want to take things further" I said "no" and explained while pointing to my hat that sez "HAMMER"S LOT" on it "I have to get back to work running my parking lot". With that I left. I was Totally SOBER. "Did I Pay For Them"???? I have a bike in my right hand, I think I would be riding it for a faster get away if I was a Thief, or stuff them in my shirt, or carry them in a solid color bag.