Doug Plank

Why not Doug Plank as our DC. He obviously did a great job with the DB's in NY and would bring Rex Ryan's defensive mind to Buffalo. I think this should be our guy

How do you know he would? Would you do everything the exact same way your boss does if you got his position?

To add to the discussion, Plank was a very hard hitting safety (along with Gary Fencik) in the 46 defense as a member of the Chicago Bears.

In fact the defense was so named due to the fact that Plank wore number 46. In spite of the fact that the Jets base defense is a 3-4, they make extensive use of the 46 because of course, Rex Ryan's dad is Buddy Ryan, the father (also) of the 46 defense.

This is a good name to throw out there. Plank's had extensive exposure to the 46 (a 4-3) and to the LeBeau-style 3-4, both attacking defenses. As a player he used to play in the box making the defense essentially a 4-4 which was very confusing to the offense because any of the 4 linebackers could blitz.

Intriguing suggestion, Chi-town.

Why not Doug Plank as our DC. He obviously did a great job with the DB's in NY and would bring Rex Ryan's defensive mind to Buffalo. I think this should be our guy

I was just telling my co-worker yesterday that we should hire one of the Bears "85" defense players since Singletary and Frazier are doing so good. I told him how about Plank or Fencik. You read my mind.

Plank was supposedly considered for the Bears D.C. but he said that he likes were he is at. I would think that if he wanted to move up he would have jumped at the chance in Chicago.

not necessarily. the Lovie Smith boat is sinking fast and chances are next year will be his last in Chicago and the assistant will most likely be unemployed this time next year. They're having a lot of trouble filling assistant vacancies - 5 OC candidates have turned them down and counting.

not necessarily. the Lovie Smith boat is sinking fast and chances are next year will be his last in Chicago and the assistant will most likely be unemployed this time next year. They're having a lot of trouble filling assistant vacancies - 5 OC candidates have turned them down and counting.

[/quote

Gailey is going to be HC, OC and DC this year to bring his pay to 3.5 MILL

This on the heels of a fawning NYT story about how loyal Rex Ryan is to his coaches.

To Douglas, that speaks to Ryan’s loyalty, to his propensity for keeping confidants close. Ryan also hired Jeff Weeks, his college roommate at Southwest Oklahoma State, as a defensive assistant, and Doug Plank, the player whose number Ryan’s father used to coin the 46 defense.