bills must go to 3-4 defense

Mr. Larry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bills have to put maybin as outside linebacker

why the hell does everyday someone makes this same thread, then 8 guys make a replica about the bills going to 3-4 and "maybin as an outside LB". like do u feel that this post of yours is a brand new idea? your the first person to have thought of maybin as OLB? so !@#$ing lame. we r not doing it. i will be super pissed if we try to transition to 3-4. it would take 4 offseasons to get the team to have a top 15 D.

After reading this thread I thought something needed to be brought to light: out of all the teams who ran a 4-3, I believe only Tampa still ran it as a "Cover 2" scheme, and that was after they went away from it in the first half of the year. All the Dungy students running the 4-3 like Frazier and Meeks pretty much realize the "fast, undersized" crap doesn't work anymore. Wake up Stadium Wall, 4-3 doesn't mean Cover 2 anymore. As for which defense I prefer the Bills to run (3-4, 4-3), I don't really have one until I see how free agency unfolds, which I'm sure Nix and Gaily are pondering as well.

bills have to put maybin as outside linebacker

So the entire scheme should be based on one unproven player? The key to 3-4 is a monster nose tackle. Once the Bills identify that individual then maybe they should look in the direction of a 3-4. The individual to take the nose is not on the roster today.

The cardinal rule in the NFL is to set the trends, not follow...

I guarantee you with all these teams running 3-4, some scheme will be created to combat the 3-4 and that will be the winning trend.

Bills have to STOP following the trends and make them happen themselves.

The cardinal rule in the NFL is to set the trends, not follow...

I guarantee you with all these teams running 3-4, some scheme will be created to combat the 3-4 and that will be the winning trend.

Bills have to STOP following the trends and make them happen themselves.

Couldn't agree more. I remember when everyone was crying to switch to the 4-3 when we were in the 3-4. First off, alignment is not the end-all-be-all...play calling is and execution is. Second, stop following league trends and lead for a change.

We can only do so much with the draft and free agency. NEWSFLASH. Our offensive line sucks which has been the reason we have no passing game and an anemic running game and that our qb's seem like a bust. One thing at a time. Fix the offensive line which could easily be our first three picks in the draft and our biggest free agency acquisition. The big question for the defensive side of the ball is whether Schobel will retire and if he decides to do so, we will probably have to give passing thought to a 3-4, although I don't see how we will fix the o-line and restructure our entire defense in the off season. This is going to take some time.

and if we stay in a 4-3 we need

1 dt

2 de's

1 olb

your point?

We have DT's (Stroud and Williams)

We have 1 DE (Schobel) if he comes back which i assume he will

In his point moving Maybin to OLB

So that leaves 1 DE, 1 LB to obtain via draft or Free agency

Right now we are built for a 4-3 Defense.

We also need offense LT,QB, A RB with speed, and a WR. So by my counts we need offense more then defense and the transition would be to difficult and cap consuming, and we would be stuck with the same offense as last year where are Defense held teams but our O could not score for the life of them.

We also need offense LT,QB, A RB with speed, and a WR. So by my counts we need offense more then defense and the transition would be to difficult and cap consuming, and we would be stuck with the same offense as last year where are Defense held teams but our O could not score for the life of them.

Our WRs and RBs are fine. We have much bigger needs.

Our WRs and RBs are fine. We have much bigger needs.

Lets look at our WR's

We have Evans who is a lock

then

Johnson- Unknown but apparently has alot of "potential" with 13 career receptions. :death:

Hardy - (See Johnson) But guy has been injury prone, insanity prone, cant run a route.

Parrish - No need to say anything

As for RB's

Jackson is 30 the usual age of RB's start to drop off.

Lynch - He is an unknown at this point whether he can get back to form.

Neither of these guys have great speed either. We need a back that when in teh open field can run away from linebackers.

That leaves me with 1 receiver, I would say we have a need there, . Yea we have bigger needs but receiver and Running back are not far down on the list.

how is our run d with those dts? strouds career is almost over imo

schobel hasnt said hes coming back, kelsay is trash, denney is a free agent.

mitchell is coming off serious injury and ellison is trash

they need to completely overhaul the front 7 no matter what defense they choose! its not that hard to understand.

Lets look at our WR's

We have Evans who is a lock

then

Johnson- Unknown but apparently has alot of "potential" with 13 career receptions. :death:

Hardy - (See Johnson) But guy has been injury prone, insanity prone, cant run a route.

Parrish - No need to say anything

As for RB's

Jackson is 30 the usual age of RB's start to drop off.

Lynch - He is an unknown at this point whether he can get back to form.

Neither of these guys have great speed either. We need a back that when in teh open field can run away from linebackers.

That leaves me with 1 receiver, I would say we have a need there, . Yea we have bigger needs but receiver and Running back are not far down on the list.

Johnson and Hardy have potential. you know what ANY guy we draft this year at ANY position is going to have? Potential. That's it. Resign T.O. if it makes you feel better about the receivers. But we have much bigger needs.

As for Jackson's age, perhaps I'd agree if he hadn't been underused his whole career. He hasn't had one whole season truly carrying the load in the NFL. He has some gas left in the tank. And speed? Speed? Bah. That's the most overrated thing in all of football. Quickness and agility...that's important. Straight line speed means very little. I'll take Thurman Thomas and Kenneth Davis for my backfield anyday, but neither guy brought speed to the table.

I'm not against a 3-4 however while some of our guys might fit well into it overall I don't think we have the personnel suited for it. Like everybody else around here I'm hoping we draft some talent and get some FA's but I think it would be a stretch to try and get all the bodies necessary and have depth to run 3-4. I hope whomever becomes our d coordinator adapts his scheme to who we have (keep) and who we get rather than jamming square pegs into round holes. Supposedly thats what Chan's good at doing on O so I imagine he'd want someone who thinks the same way running his D....all that said it would be cool if we could run some variations of the 3-4 at times to give confusing looks if we could pull it off in a less than part time basis.......

I'm not against a 3-4 however while some of our guys might fit well into it overall I don't think we have the personnel suited for it. Like everybody else around here I'm hoping we draft some talent and get some FA's but I think it would be a stretch to try and get all the bodies necessary and have depth to run 3-4. I hope whomever becomes our d coordinator adapts his scheme to who we have (keep) and who we get rather than jamming square pegs into round holes. Supposedly thats what Chan's good at doing on O so I imagine he'd want someone who thinks the same way running his D....all that said it would be cool if we could run some variations of the 3-4 at times to give confusing looks if we could pull it off in a less than part time basis.......

You're right. We're not ready to switch. The most critical position for the 3-4 is the nose tackle. Without a great NT, the 3-4 becomes very porous. Great NT's are very hard to find, and their durability over time has gone down. I think the Bills are better served with the 43 as their base. I also think the cover 2 is no longer necessary with this defense. We have one of the best young secondaries in the league now, so the focus should be on shoring up the D-line at the point of attack.

Specifically, two DT's who can stop the run.