timbuk3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Paraphrasing Nix:

"I got cowshat in my mouth, and am speakin' extry folksy today for y'all 'cause soundin' more down home countrified makes it seem like I'm tellin' it like it really is."

Gailey,

"I'm not quite as countrified as Buddy, but I'm gittin' there and you can bet by the time we start lining up on Sundays I'll be so twanged out you won't know if I'm talkin' or spittin' tobaccee."

"You can't be just tough and not disciplined. Also, you can't be disciplined and not tough. You see, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is square dancin'. I know one thing, you just got to know the fine line between a big drawl and spittin' out Redman."

"I'm gonna be the offensive coordinator. I don't want no messes, and that way I can do what I believe without any problems. You see, we aren't just gonna win, we're gonna win on the cheap. Wastin' money ain't gonna win you any games."

LOL. This was well done.

I live in Georgia. I'm not phased by or have any bias regarding southern accents.

For years, I've noticed the prejudice that comes from some Buffalonians (even some family members) regarding their preconceived ideas about people who have southern accents.

All I've heard since the Gailey press conference, on the blogs, WGR sites, here, etc. - is about the way he speaks.

I don't think the WNY natives south of the Amherst-Cheektowaga border have much ground to stand on regarding their speech patterns.

Not jist chick-a-tow-aga, but dem der sowt bufflo types sound real intellgint when dey're "mocking out" doze suddern people.

Yeah, I know, you don't think youse have an accent. You do. And it doesn't sound any closeer to da queen's inglish den someone from Alabama. Only difference is dat Chan Gailey has grits for breakfast (as i did this morning), and y'all are eating leftover perogis and Mighty Taco.

i've travelled extensively throughout the country and have been to places cities as diverse as Monroe, La and Dallas. I've been to 25 or so of the 50 states and let me tell you this, sonny. The type of conversation that you're mentioning goes on everywhere. It's not specific to WNY, or the South, or anywhere else. It's no different if a fellow from Georgia calls someone a "yankee" or if a WNY riffs on a guy for being a good old boy.

The fine people of WNY have every bit the right to stand on their ground just like everyone else does. Most of it isn't personal, so why personalize it? That dog don't hunt.

Oh, and don't mess with Texas.

(I called you sonny cause this management team in Buffalo has some old dogs on it. just trying to keep with the times..)

i've travelled extensively throughout the country and have been to places cities as diverse as Monroe, La and Dallas. I've been to 25 or so of the 50 states and let me tell you this, sonny. The type of conversation that you're mentioning goes on everywhere. It's not specific to WNY, or the South, or anywhere else. It's no different if a fellow from Georgia calls someone a "yankee" or if a WNY riffs on a guy for being a good old boy.

The fine people of WNY have every bit the right to stand on their ground just like everyone else does. Most of it isn't personal, so why personalize it? That dog don't hunt.

Oh, and don't mess with Texas.

(I called you sonny cause this management team in Buffalo has some old dogs on it. just trying to keep with the times..)

Well said. Bravo.