who would you rather

BeastMode54

I just don't understand how anyone could want Schottenheimer. He's got one of the best olines in the league so they have the number 1 rushing attack. That's not his ingenuity, just better OL than the opponent's DL. Also, part of that reason for that is because they have the 31st pass o in the league and cannot throw. If I'm hiring a coordinator, I want one of the best. Not half of a coordinator. Their pass o wasn't special last year and was bad two years ago. He's really young and seems talented, but as a coordinator. I don't think he has the skill or experience needed (life or football) to be the head guy. Not only that, we don't need just anyone qualified to be a HC - if so I'd take Perry Fewell over him. We need a great HC to turn around a bad franchise. Very different than a respectable club looking for some new blood. I like Frazier a lot. He's my early favorite, but I'm a tiny bit worried about his defensive philosophy. But if he were willing to switch schemes, knowing the climate and conference then I'd give him the reins.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand how anyone could want Schottenheimer. He's got one of the best olines in the league so they have the number 1 rushing attack. That's not his ingenuity, just better OL than the opponent's DL. Also, part of that reason for that is because they have the 31st pass o in the league and cannot throw. If I'm hiring a coordinator, I want one of the best. Not half of a coordinator. Their pass o wasn't special last year and was bad two years ago. He's really young and seems talented, but as a coordinator. I don't think he has the skill or experience needed (life or football) to be the head guy. Not only that, we don't need just anyone qualified to be a HC - if so I'd take Perry Fewell over him. We need a great HC to turn around a bad franchise. Very different than a respectable club looking for some new blood. I like Frazier a lot. He's my early favorite, but I'm a tiny bit worried about his defensive philosophy. But if he were willing to switch schemes, knowing the climate and conference then I'd give him the reins.

THank you, ive been sayign the same thing all along. His offenses never rank in the top half of the league. he made the playoffs this year with the #1 Defense. Hes not some wonder OC

im sorry but with B shott color me unimpressed. A guy who as an OC never had an offense ranked in the top HALF of the league. Hooray!

as someone else mentioned, # 1 rushing offense in the league with a rookie QB...if thats not impressive I dont know what is

I just don't understand how anyone could want Schottenheimer. He's got one of the best olines in the league so they have the number 1 rushing attack. That's not his ingenuity, just better OL than the opponent's DL. Also, part of that reason for that is because they have the 31st pass o in the league and cannot throw.

doesnt that make it more impressive that they can still run the ball as well as they do without much of a passing game?

he is committed to the run and his scheme works

Sometimes it's about coaching demeanor. My worry with Frazier is that on the surface he appears to be that of the quiet and stoic variety. Kind of in the Tony Dungy, Dick Jauron mold. Schottenheimer looks like he has more of a commanding, take charge demeanor. That is a BIG part of this decision. The Bills can not afford to hire another guy that will just stand there looking stearn and stoic. The more I think about it, the more I like Schottenheimer more than Frazier for that reason alone.

The added plus is that Schottenheimer is an AFC guy. Not only an AFC guy but an AFC East guy! Frazier has little clue about the AFC East and I don't want him to have to take a year to learn the best approach to beat the other players and teams.

Sometimes it's about coaching demeanor. My worry with Frazier is that on the surface he appears to be that of the quiet and stoic variety. Kind of in the Tony Dungy, Dick Jauron mold. Schottenheimer looks like he has more of a commanding, take charge demeanor. That is a BIG part of this decision. The Bills can not afford to hire another guy that will just stand there looking stearn and stoic. The more I think about it, the more I like Schottenheimer more than Frazier for that reason alone.

The added plus is that Schottenheimer is an AFC guy. Not only an AFC guy but an AFC East guy! Frazier has little clue about the AFC East and I don't want him to have to take a year to learn the best approach to beat the other players and teams.

So you want someone based on their demeanor and not ability to be a leader and teacher? Who would command more respect out of these two:

34 year old son of a coach OC

or

50 year old ex-championship Bears football player DC?

I think even if Frazier has a seemingly stoic demeanor, what will make the next HC succesful or not is the staff he's able to put together. Now again, who of the two would you think could put together a better staff???

as someone else mentioned, # 1 rushing offense in the league with a rookie QB...if thats not impressive I dont know what is

doesnt that make it more impressive that they can still run the ball as well as they do without much of a passing game?

Fair enough, the offense was still in the bottom half of the league. The Jets would have gone nowhere without the best defense in the NFL.

The Jets can run the ball very well but thats despite their rookie QB, who they are trying to protect bc he makes a lot of mistakes.

So everyone is fine that the offense overall sucks, but they are the best rushing? thats like the bills defense having the best pass defesen but cant stop the run. The logic escapes me.

So you want someone based on their demeanor and not ability to be a leader and teacher? Who would command more respect out of these two:

or

I think even if Frazier has a seemingly stoic demeanor, what will make the next HC succesful or not is the staff he's able to put together. Now again, who of the two would you think could put together a better staff???

Great point. All I hear about Frasier is how he is a "leader of men" and how well players respond to him. Just because your daddy was a great coach doesn't mean you will be too. The NFL is littered with the sons of coaching stars who flopped when given the helm - Jim Mora, Nick Saban, Don Shula Jr....

Not to mention that Schottenheimer's attitude and age may create a situation like Denver where McDaniels clashed with players right from training camp.

It should be pointed out that the Jets have the best offensive line in the world (Furgueson/Faneca/Mangold, all pro-bowlers, on the left side), they have a plethora of talented running backs (Jones, Washington, Greene), and their overall offense is still pretty poor. Not to mention that ultra-conservative Marty-ball follows the Schotts. Pass.

If the Bills go with a 1st time head coach whoever it is they need to bring veteran coordinators with them. If I am OBD I pick whoever can bring in experienced coordinators that have actually accomplished something in this league.

For all the years Jauron has been in the league you would have thought he would have had some contacts but ended up with 1st time coordinators on both sides of the ball.

or

So you think that Schottenheimer lacks ability because...........? He's only coached up a rookie qb to the point were his team won a road playoff game in convincing fashion. If Frazeir was such a great leader of men, why then is he STILL not a head coach at 50 years old? That's pretty long in the tooth for being a rookie head coach.

After four years of watching stoic wall flower coaching, I don't want another guy like that. Sorry, but Frazeir looks like he has that same kind of Dungy/Jaroun coaching demeanor to me. Plus, he's coming from the NFC North division and knows absolutely nothing about the AFC East.

Personally, B Schott sounds like the better choice to me (not knowing anything about how they interview or what they might say in it). We get an OC from the AFC East who has had to gameplan against NE, MIA, and us (helping find weaknesses on our D means he can help fix them). Add in his father is at the very least a sounding board, and I would be ok with that. Would be interesting to see who he would bring in as DC

I don't know much about Frazier. I have developed negative feelings because he reminds me of Jauron and would probably keep the tampa 2. He might turn out great and I am willing to give him a chance, but of these 2, I would much prefer Brian Schottenheimer for the following reaasons:

1.) Solid OC.

2.) Coached a rookie QB and tailored to game plan to protect him and still make the playoffs (albeit with some help from Cincy and Indy sitting players) but called a great game in the playoffs

3.) Great coaching pedigree.

4.) I think his dad would come along in some capacity. Even if he doesn’t, he will be there as a sounding board/mentor to help Brian.

5.) His name alone will help with building a solid staff even if his dad does not call in some favors

6.) It will take a good coach (and probably a few others if he raids the staff) away from a division opponent

7.) Hiring an Offensive minded coach would indicate that they are going to fix the problems on offense.

8.) Hopefully he will bring a more aggressive, attack style defense with him. I hate the Tampa 2.

I have to agree with you, Maddog.

Something about Frazier bothers me. They say he is of that soft-spoken Tony Dungy nature.

Dungy addresses his team in a soft voice, and says "you will not hear me speak any louder than this during the season." (or words to that effect)

Apparently, that works for Dungy, but I have some reservations about that style of coaching. They say that Frazier can "command a room" or whatever, but I just don't know...

So, to answer the OP's question: Brian Schottenheimer would be my choice. We need a great offensive mind.

The fact that his dad played for the Bills is an added bonus.