Replay Challenges - Why Only Two?

Steely Dan

IMO, it should be two losing challenges. If the game is officiated poorly a coach can only use two challenges per half while three more bad calls may go against his team. I say let them challenge until they lose two. I know it would increase the length of a game but it seems only fair.

you should be able to challenge ANYTHING. you should be able to challenge until you get 2 wrong. each time you get one wrong you should lose a timeout.

IMO, it should be two losing challenges. If the game is officiated poorly a coach can only use two challenges per half while three more bad calls may go against his team. I say let them challenge until they lose two. I know it would increase the length of a game but it seems only fair.

I said the same thing in the Jets Bengals thread a few hours ago

it makes no sense that you can win by having the play reversed but still lose a challenge...why should teams be penalized for bad calls by the refs

so, theoretically, one could stop the 10 times in one game? i dunno, where do you draw the line? 5? even thats too much

They will still use their challenges sparingly because they don't want to lose those TO's. I'm saying that if they can win 5 challenges then they should be able to keep going. I say this because while watching the Bengals game they made mention of a dubious call but the team was out of challenges.

They will still use their challenges sparingly because they don't want to lose those TO's. I'm saying that if they can win 5 challenges then they should be able to keep going. I say this because while watching the Bengals game they made mention of a dubious call but the team was out of challenges.

they wasted their second challenge on an obvious reception. if you get your 1st 2 correct, you get a 3rd. i think the system is fine. the bengals' problem is that they didnt run enough, stop the run or rattle a rookie visiting qb.

you should be able to challenge ANYTHING. you should be able to challenge until you get 2 wrong. each time you get one wrong you should lose a timeout.
The replay system doesn't allow challenges on judgment calls. IMO this is a very good thing. Most penalties are judgment calls, such as holding, or pass interference. If you allow replays on calls like that, you're pitting the judgment of someone watching a replay vs. the one of someone who was observing it live. You're asking the replay official to make decisions such as "in your opinion, did that constitute holding?" That opens up an entirely new can of worms, and isn't how a replay system should work. Replay should limited to much more cut & dry scenarios.

I like the challenge till you loose system because you don't want to loose a timeout and you still have a limit to how many times you can challenge. I don't think coaches are going to use challenges that much more (Especially in the 2nd half when timeouts have a premium) to the point where it will extend games that much. However if they left it where it is I wouldn't be too mad about it.

In the end fix the OT system that is the biggest issue I have with the NFL that a coin toss gives a team a 60% chance of winning a game. Either make it where you have to score a TD to win or if you score on the 1st possession the other team is allowed to have an offensive possession to win or tie. I am just having a hard time rewarding teams for kicking field goals in overtime.

The moment a Super Bowl ends in overtime on a 1st possession FG is when they will change the rule because the loosing city will likely never let anyone hear the end of it.