Cushing beats Byrd for defensive rookie...

1billsfan

imagine that draft

imagine our D.

Ngata over Whitner

Cushing over Maybin

Revis over Lynch

imagine our O if we drafted right-

Nick Mangold over McCargo

Ray Rice over James Hardy

Brandon Marshall over Ko Simpson

Plain and simple- poor drafting is why the Bills have not been competitive the past decade. There were players available when we selected. But instead of drafting BPA we drafted for needs and we drafted piss poorly

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd has ball hawking skills but is poor against the run. I have no doubt he can become great, but as of now he is not yet a complete player. Cushing was NFL starter ready the minute he was drafted and is an instant star in this league.

He is a safety. His job is not to stop the run.

He is a safety. His job is not to stop the run.

the hell its not. I don't want any deon sander cover only types at CB, and I certainly don't want any one dimensional players at safety. Somewhere Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater are laughing

Okay, lets get it out of the way early.

"We could have had Cushing if we didn't choose that bum Maybin"

Well, there is a certain obviousness to drafting the kid that actually played OLB at a high level over the too-small DE that might project to OLB.

the hell its not. I don't want any deon sander cover only types at CB, and I certainly don't want any one dimensional players at safety. Somewhere Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater are laughing

We drafted him to do exactly what he is doing, Ball Hawk. Atwater and Lott, yea they were good at it but the game has changed alot in the past 10 years. 9/10 of all safetys now just sit back 10-15 yds and only tackle the running back when they have to.

Those guys were both Strong Safeties (although Lott played all of the DB positions, I think he was primarily strong...). Byrd is a free safety.

gee thanks. Free safetys are football players too and a good one knows how to tackle

And you remember Byrd missing a lot of tackles....? :thumbsup:

You don't want your FS involved heavily in the running game because if he bites on play action, you get burned deep.

You don't want your FS involved heavily in the running game because if he bites on play action, you get burned deep.

But the knock on Ko Simpson and why he was replaced so easily beyond his injuries was the poor angles he took on running plays

I am responding to this quote- He is a safety. His job is not to stop the run.

imagine our D.

Ngata over Whitner

Cushing over Maybin

Revis over Lynch

imagine our O if we drafted right-

Nick Mangold over McCargo

Ray Rice over James Hardy

Brandon Marshall over Ko Simpson

Plain and simple- poor drafting is why the Bills have not been competitive the past decade. There were players available when we selected. But instead of drafting BPA we drafted for needs and we drafted piss poorly

No offense but a lot of this is completely insane. I get the Ngata thing but the rest is kinda silly. Lynch has been a pro bowler and we are loaded at corner. It's dumb now, but we signed Fowler as center and he was young so no point at Mangold. And the Marshall and Rice things are complete hindsight. Every team that doesn't win a Super Bowl this year could do the same drill and drive themselves insane.

And I still think Bryd having 9 INTs and being part of the #1 pass defense while learning a new position is more impressive than Cushing playign the same position on a defense loaded with 1st rounders.

No offense but a lot of this is completely insane. I get the Ngata thing but the rest is kinda silly. Lynch has been a pro bowler and we are loaded at corner. It's dumb now, but we signed Fowler as center and he was young so no point at Mangold. And the Marshall and Rice things are complete hindsight. Every team that doesn't win a Super Bowl this year could do the same drill and drive themselves insane.

And I still think Bryd having 9 INTs and being part of the #1 pass defense while learning a new position is more impressive than Cushing playign the same position on a defense loaded with 1st rounders.

Plain and simple- poor drafting is why the Bills have not been competitive the past decade.

completely insane? Is it?

Plain and simple- poor drafting is why the Bills have not been competitive the past decade.

completely insane? Is it?

My point is you can do this for a lot of teams. IMO, it is as simple as not finding a QB. If we find a QB anyway (Romo was an UDFA, Warner was an UDFA, Brady was a 6th), we aren't looking at a playoff less decade. Look at the Colts without Manning. They are junk.

And I still can't believe we passed over Everett Brown for another defensive back.

My point is you can do this for a lot of teams. IMO, it is as simple as not finding a QB. If we find a QB anyway (Romo was an UDFA, Warner was an UDFA, Brady was a 6th), we aren't looking at a playoff less decade. Look at the Colts without Manning. They are junk.

And I still can't believe we passed over Everett Brown for another defensive back.

and my point was there were some of the top players in the NFL on the board- and we drafted chumps. Hindsight is 20/20- but most of us were pissed when they took Donte over Ngata. Mike Williams over Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney, John Henderson, and Albert Haynseworth? We have drafted in the top 10 almost every year this decade- and still screw it up. It is a pattern. Last years draft was good- with the exception of the Maybin pick. Most of us were saying WTF when that pick was made. If it is that obvious to us- then the front office is inadequate. No wonder we are pathetic. I am optimistic with Buddy Nix

and my point was there were some of the top players in the NFL on the board- and we drafted chumps. Hindsight is 20/20- but most of us were pissed when they took Donte over Ngata. Mike Williams over Ed Reed, Dwight Freeney, John Henderson, and Albert Haynseworth? We have drafted in the top 10 almost every year this decade- and still screw it up. It is a pattern. Last years draft was good- with the exception of the Maybin pick. Most of us were saying WTF when that pick was made. If it is that obvious to us- then the front office is inadequate. No wonder we are pathetic. I am optimistic with Buddy Nix

Like I said I get the Ngata thing but the rest is just hindsight after the fact. If we took Ed Reed as a top 5 pick out of college, people's heads would have exploded. Seriously, you could do this for every draft pick unless you have an all pro in that position. As bad as some of the drafts have been, a good QB and we are in the playoffs this year IMO.

And I do agree about Nix. Drafting is the key to building a team, especially a smaller market one like ours, and Nix has been really good at that. hopefully, he continues now as the GM.

I am responding to this quote- He is a safety. His job is not to stop the run.

Um, it isn't his job to stop the run. He's a free safety, the last line of defense. He's 15 to 20 yds off of the ball when the play starts. If our front 7 wasn't swiss cheese, the only tackles he would be making would be on pass plays.

Um, it isn't his job to stop the run. He's a free safety, the last line of defense. He's 15 to 20 yds off of the ball when the play starts. If our front 7 wasn't swiss cheese, the only tackles he would be making would be on pass plays.

so if the free safety has nothing to do with stopping the run- why do they bite on play action?