How the coaches were let go

zdro22

I definitely don't feel sorry for them. They should've thrown this bunch out the front door quite a while ago.

Well that's charitable of you. At least you said the front door.

that's exactly what I'm saying. RW probably says "I'm going to say a few words, then I'll introduce Buddy" The point is more about professionalism.

Simple example -

Before they announced the PC, the Bills know for absolute certainty that there will a range of questions that Buddy can't (or shouldn't) answer. Solution? a handheld mic; tested, ready and waiting to be handed to RW, Brandon, Scott, or whomever.

Reality, they tried to get the podium mic (or something off-camera) to Ralph, and the audio was totally distorted for almost his entire response.

Maybe there's a good explanation for the mic, but the reality is that it comes across as amateur hour. Same as the Fox thing... unprofessional. Not about the mic or the past few days, it's what's happened for years...

Kinda like the Helicopter Flyover on opening day. Apparently the Cessna Club of Clarence was booked that day.

why the heck would they let April go? He was the one elite coach we had on the staff...

The special teams were pretty mediocre this year and cost us some games as well. April might be the one who comes back. But it's important for the Bills to give the signal that the new coach can hire his own staff with no one thrust upon him or him having to inherit holdovers. A clean sweep is certainly necessary in this situation. Not at all like Caldwell taking over for Dungy.

As I said, "interesting."

Question: if, as is being reported (or should I say rumored?), Wilson is opposed to hiring Marty despite Nix's like for him, isn't the whole "I can hire who I want as GM" a complete and utter farce? And isn't it more of the same? I'm just speculating, of course.

I haven't said much about it, but the hiring of Nix - regardless of how good/bad he turns out to be - is a low point for this organization. It's being run by a 91-year old man with a hermetically sealed mind and who appears to be dead set on retaining control over his plaything regardless of anything else (common sense, wisdom, etc.). I feel sorry for Brandon being hitched to this farce because I actually don't think he's a dope. But his boss - Wilson - has said in public that Brandon was one of the people who rejected interviewing others because he didn't know them. I don't believe that for a second. I wish Buddy Nix well, and sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut. But that was pretty dispiriting. I mean, don't you at least bring in other people to interview who can give you an outside perspective on your organization?

Question: if, as is being reported (or should I say rumored?), Wilson is opposed to hiring Marty despite Nix's like for him, isn't the whole "I can hire who I want as GM" a complete and utter farce? And isn't it more of the same? I'm just speculating, of course.

as rumored...you should not ask a question that says "If, as rumored" when the rumors are all over the place like they are. You, I, Vic Carruci, Mike Tyson or anyone else outside the organization don't know what's happening. All you can do is wait.

I haven't said much about it, but the hiring of Nix - regardless of how good/bad he turns out to be - is a low point for this organization. It's being run by a 91-year old man with a hermetically sealed mind and who appears to be dead set on retaining control over his plaything regardless of anything else (common sense, wisdom, etc.). I feel sorry for Brandon being hitched to this farce because I actually don't think he's a dope. But his boss - Wilson - has said in public that Brandon was one of the people who rejected interviewing others because he didn't know them. I don't believe that for a second. I wish Buddy Nix well, and sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut. But that was pretty dispiriting. I mean, don't you at least bring in other people to interview who can give you an outside perspective on your organization?

Considering that said organization has just put together one of the least-successful ten-year runs in the history of both the team and the league? By now, we're all familiar with the ugly numbers posted in the "Aughts": one winning record (9-7), four 10+ loss seasons, and no playoff appearances. Yes, an objective observer might conclude that the Bills could benefit from applying a skeptical eye to every part of the franchise, even if just in a consultant's role.

Unless the conspiracy theorists are correct, and someone atop the hierarchy is more concerned with season-ticket sales than on-field results ...

I'll add that after talking to a few people in San Diego who have nothing but the highest praise for Nix's work out there, I'll at least give him a chance to put his own imprint on the organization before passing judgment. I do think he's only got one chance to get the coaching hire right, though, or the honeymoon could be short.