Forget Clausen

major

i like clausen, i like bradford and really like mallett

kind of reminds me of the 04 class with manning rivers and roethlisberger....

buffalo passed on cutler in 06 no way do they pass on one of these three if one of them is there. this is a qb driven league and we can easily pick up a lt and rt in rd 2 and 3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget Clausen and Snead. I watched a lot of Ole Miss football this year and from what Snead has shown he is certainly NOT worth a first round pick. Hell I'm not even sure he's worth a fourth. The player from Ole Miss that really was the main man was McCluster. I could be mistaken but towards the end of the season I watched one of their games and the stat was something like 40+% of all offense went through McCluster. The thing about that is that everyone else in the SEC knew that as well, game planned for it, and he finished the season accounting for 31% of all of the Rebels offense for the year. The Bills couldn't afford him because he is another luxury pick skill player and we need lines and linebacker way more than an undersized runner/receiver. I don't know I would take him that high in the first because of size but that kid is a gamer.

The bottom line is Snead is not the answer. In fact he's not even close to being the best player on his current team let alone being a top ten pick! I agree with the poster who suggested that if we must burn yet another number one pick on a QB, and that pick comes from the SEC, it should be Mallard.

But that's how we will get ourselves into more trouble. We drafted Losman because we went into that draft wanting a QB and panicked after we couldn't get Big Ben (could you imagine if we had Big Ben :censored: ). Like I said, we need a franchise guy but I'm very down on this year's class. I think Bradford has bust written all over him and would do terrible here. I've very mixed on Clausen because I've seen Brady Quinn look like the same player (actually slighty better #s and Ws wise) and wonder if it is the system. Mallett is very interesting though, I'm not sure if he comes out and would probably be a reach at that point.

That's why we need an offensive coach so badly and why I kinda like Weis. Analyze this team all you want, but even with all our problems, a franchise QB and we could be in playoff contention. We need to find a real QB and not settle and pray for average guys like Losman and Edwards.

You make an excellent point. Generally speaking, it's a mistake to reach for a player based on need. You correctly point out that it was that mentality which caused the Bills to take Losman. That line of thinking was also responsible for the Whitner, McCargo, and Lynch mistakes.

The Bills already have Brohm on the roster, and he has all the tools to succeed as a QB. The main negative I've heard about him was that his college offense only required the quarterback to make one read. If that guy was covered, Brohm was supposed to check down. If that's true, it would imply that Brohm did not prove himself in a critical aspect of the game at the college level.

But when the Bills pick, will they have access to a quarterback who's done significantly more at the college level than Brohm has? If there are no available quarterbacks who have proven themselves more than Brohm has, why not give Brohm a shot to prove himself? After a season of Brohm, the Bills can make a determination as to whether quarterback is still one of the team's most significant needs. In the meantime, we can address positions where we know there's a need, such as offensive line (especially LT), defensive line, and LB.

You make an excellent point. Generally speaking, it's a mistake to reach for a player based on need. You correctly point out that it was that mentality which caused the Bills to take Losman. That line of thinking was also responsible for the Whitner, McCargo, and Lynch mistakes.

The Bills already have Brohm on the roster, and he has all the tools to succeed as a QB. The main negative I've heard about him was that his college offense only required the quarterback to make one read. If that guy was covered, Brohm was supposed to check down. If that's true, it would imply that Brohm did not prove himself in a critical aspect of the game at the college level.

But when the Bills pick, will they have access to a quarterback who's done significantly more at the college level than Brohm has? If there are no available quarterbacks who have proven themselves more than Brohm has, why not give Brohm a shot to prove himself? After a season of Brohm, the Bills can make a determination as to whether quarterback is still one of the team's most significant needs. In the meantime, we can address positions where we know there's a need, such as offensive line (especially LT), defensive line, and LB.

Good points all around. I would like to see what Brohm has but I'm so weary after this decade. IMO, if there is a guy you can draft that you believe is a franchise QB, you draft him no matter what your feelings are on Brohm. IMO, I'm not sure a guy like that is in this draft.

Personally and I hate even saying this, but I'd love to build the lines and tank it for a season. Get the young guys more experience and get in position to get Locker. I don't know why he is going back to school but with another year of college seasoning, I have little doubt that he is going to be a really good player in this league. He would be a true franchise guy after a decade of just hoping and praying for projects (Losman), one game wonders (RJ), fading stars (Bledsoe), and mid rounders (Edwards).

Bingo, the lack of importance placed on the qb position is astounding on this board. Now you will have guys like the Philster that will tell you time & time again that the qb is only one small cog of the engine & that football is the ultimate team game. I think that line of thinking is totally wrong. Lets take a look at the teams that are going to the playoffs this year - Dallas/Philly/Arizona/NO/Green bay/Minn/NE/Indy/Cincy/SD/Baltimore/Jets everyone of those teams maybe outside of the jets have their franchise qb in place. Interesting stat, Manning has been sacked the last 4 years 1 in every 47 times he drops back to pass. Think about that. Is it because indy has very good pass protection?????? Maybe, but they have had turnover in their line. Watch Manning, 90% of his dropbacks the ball is out of his hand in under 3 seconds. He does not give the defense a chance to get to him. Take Manning off the colts & they are no better then a 5 win team this year. Put Manning on the Bills & we are 12-4 this year.

Now their train of thought should be is there a qb that is worth taking with the 8th/9th pick in the draft. Is there a franchise qb out there this year. Not sure. I do know that I am pretty high on Clausen & I do like Bradford(not sure why everyone is so down on him). After that Pike & the kid from Houston would be right behind them. Tough decision, hopefully the bills do not f*ck it up like they f*ck everything else up.

My problem with Bradford is on several levels. I hate gimmick offenses and guys who take the majority of their snaps out of shotgun. however as the league moves into a more pass happy league, this isn't as a big of a problem as it used to be. Bradford seems very frail and he is shoulder is troubling. If you draft a stud who can't stay healthy, what good is he?

But my major problem and this may sound silly but I'm not high on guys from powerhouse schools. They play with blue chippers and never faced any type of pass rush because their olines are dominant. Additionally, the majority of the best QBs are guys not from big time school and/ or who had to struggle to be stars (Brady, Warner, Bress, Big Ben, Farve, etc.) I guess time will tell on Bradford.

Good points all around. I would like to see what Brohm has but I'm so weary after this decade. IMO, if there is a guy you can draft that you believe is a franchise QB, you draft him no matter what your feelings are on Brohm. IMO, I'm not sure a guy like that is in this draft.

Personally and I hate even saying this, but I'd love to build the lines and tank it for a season. Get the young guys more experience and get in position to get Locker. I don't know why he is going back to school but with another year of college seasoning, I have little doubt that he is going to be a really good player in this league. He would be a true franchise guy after a decade of just hoping and praying for projects (Losman), one game wonders (RJ), fading stars (Bledsoe), and mid rounders (Edwards).

A good all-round post, and I strongly agree with the bolded text. I'd have no objection to building the lines and tanking the upcoming season gets us a franchise quarterback. However, I tend to believe that Clausen is better at reading defenses, and is a better pocket passer, than Locker. If St. Louis takes Suh first overall, Clausen could fall out of the top 5. We'd still have to trade up to get him, but if it's only a few spots the price shouldn't be too exorbitant.

But whether the answer is Clausen, Locker, Bradford, or some other quarterback, I agree that if the Bills do anything (in terms of spending high draft picks) it should be to get a real franchise quarterback in here. This is an all or nothing situation.