A Look At 1st Round DE's

Psaunders

Now I'm not gonna say Maybin has lived up to where we drafted him but i just want everybody to take a look at some DE's from this past draft and the year before in 2008.

2008 Draft

Chris Long- 40 tackles, 4 sacks, with all 16 starts.

Derrick Harvey- 19 tackles, 3.5 sacks, with 9 starts and playing in all 16 games.

Lawrence Jackson- 29 tackles, 2 sacks, with 14 starts and playing in all 16 games.

Phillip Merling- 26 tackles, 1 sack, with 1 start playing in 14 games.

2009 Draft

Tyson Jackson- 29 tackles, 0 sacks, with 12 starts playing 14 games so far

Aaron Maybin- 15 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 0 starts playing 14 games so far

Brian Orakpo- 46 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 14 starts playing 14 games so far. (converted to outside linebacker)

Robert Ayers- 16 tackles, 0 sacks, with 0 starts playing 13 games so far.

Larry English- 25 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, with 1 start playing in 14 games so far. (converted to linebacker)

Ziggy Hood- 6 tackles, 0 sacks, with 0 starts playing in 14 games so far.

Everette Brown- 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, with 1 start playing in 13 games so far.

Now with taking a look at the these players, the ones with the best stats have been converted to OLB's (Orakpo and English). I just think people are judging Maybin WAY to early for god sake Chris Long put up pathetic stats for how much he played last year and his stats this year aren't much better. So i just think we have to wait a little bit to judge. (and sure we can say what we SHOULD have done but it doesn't change what we have)

Good work PSaunders.

There is no doubt that he hasn't lived up to our expectations of what we were hoping. Having said that, he did leave college one year early, didn't have all that many starts over there to begin with and is still way too skinny to be effective.

He has the athleticism, burst, work ethic and mojo to be a good player in this league. I for one havn't given up on him, and I would hope that he adds another 10 pounds of muscle for next year.

Now I'm not gonna say Maybin has lived up to where we drafted him but i just want everybody to take a look at some DE's from this past draft and the year before in 2008.

2008 Draft

Derrick Harvey- 19 tackles, 3.5 sacks, with 9 starts and playing in all 16 games.

Lawrence Jackson- 29 tackles, 2 sacks, with 14 starts and playing in all 16 games.

2009 Draft

Aaron Maybin- 15 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 0 starts playing 14 games so far

Brian Orakpo- 46 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 14 starts playing 14 games so far. (converted to outside linebacker)

Larry English- 25 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, with 1 start playing in 14 games so far. (converted to linebacker)

Everette Brown- 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, with 1 start playing in 13 games so far.

Now with taking a look at the these players, the ones with the best stats have been converted to OLB's (Orakpo and English). I just think people are judging Maybin WAY to early for god sake Chris Long put up pathetic stats for how much he played last year and his stats this year aren't much better. So i just think we have to wait a little bit to judge. (and sure we can say what we SHOULD have done but it doesn't change what we have)

The point is Maybin is so physically overmatched on the field. He looks like a WR out there trying to run thru a 300lb lineman. Modrak should be fired for such a horrific pick.

And im not saying he was the right pick here and he does look funny going up against 30 lb lineman but it looks like he is doing about average for the playing time he is getting compared to other DE's. But i just want people to see that other DE's aren't to impressive either

2008 Draft

2009 Draft

Good info. But

Good info. But no matter what stats you throw out there he was the wrong pick. If they wanted a DE then go Orakpo. But they should have gone O-Line and got Oher, Britton. In a way I'm glad because it helped nail the coffin on Jauron's tenure.

2008 Draft

2009 Draft

Sad when you have more penalties than impact plays!

Good work PSaunders.

There is no doubt that he hasn't lived up to our expectations of what we were hoping. Having said that, he did leave college one year early, didn't have all that many starts over there to begin with and is still way too skinny to be effective.

He has the athleticism, burst, work ethic and mojo to be a good player in this league. I for one havn't given up on him, and I would hope that he adds another 10 pounds of muscle for next year.

Maybin has more penalties than impact plays. I hope we get somebody in charge of the draft that will take impact/need players over project/tweeners.

It's so difficult for you to say that now in retrospect isn't it?

To answer your question I wanted E. Brown, Orakpo, Ayers and then Maybin in that order.

No beacuse when the Bills pick came up my brother called, I go "this better be Orakpo I didn't think he'd even be at 11". Brother "yea". with the 11th pick the bills select aaron maybin, "God damn it" and turns off the draft for a bit.

So !@#$ yes it is easy for me to say that.

No beacuse when the Bills pick came up my brother called, I go "this better be Orakpo I didn't think he'd even be at 11". Brother "yea". with the 11th pick the bills select aaron maybin, "God damn it" and trunes off the draft for a bit.

So !@#$ yes it is easy for me to say that.

It's not like Orakpo was the end-all-be-all of DE prospects... he had serious effort concerns coming out of college. In fact, a lot of people were comparing his effort-level to that of Vernon Gholston.

Orakpo plays LB (in a 4-3) on running downs and DE on passing downs. He's spent more time at DE lately due to injuries on the D-line. I'm guessing around half his sacks have come from the DE position. English plays OLB in a 3-4, so there's no real comparison to Maybin there. Jackson and Hood play end in 3-4s, and are completely irrelevant to the Maybin discussion.

Honestly, if Maybin was anything approaching an NFL player at this point, he'd be in the same role as Orakpo. Starting at OLB in run situations, switching to DE in pass situations. Instead, he's nothing but the 4th DE on the field, and usually looks terrible when he is on the field. It illustrates the incompetence of the Bills front office, because this is exactly what they planned when they drafted him. At #11 overall, and full of vital team needs, you can't take a part-time player. Everyone knew Rey Maualuga would be solid, but he fell to the 2nd round because he's only a two-down player. Maybin is a one-down player who isn't very good.

That's not to say that Maybin can't ever be good. We know how young he is and how inexperienced he is and that he missed most of training camp. Got it. Thanks. But thus far, it's been an atrocious and indefensible pick. Maybe that will turn around at some point in the future, but there's no evidence to suggest that it will just yet.

But the fact is everyone with a brain that saw Brian Orakpo fall to 11 thought he would and should be the pick.

I remember watching the draft and feeling a sense of dread when they panned to Maybin on the phone just prior to the Bills picking. I think the Bills were so surprised that Orakpo had fallen to them that they didn't know what to do. They probably hadn't even scouted him since they assumed he would be off the board by the time the Bills picked.

They picked Maybin with the hopes that his game would be similar to Dwight Freeney's. But if you look at the measurables coming out of college, Maybin was far from Dwight Freeney. Freeney, considered too small coming out, played at least 20 pounds bigger than Maybin. He had more success than Maybin. Also, he blew Maybin away at the combine. The same could be said for most of the top tier D-ends in this years draft.

It's not as if Maybin was a workout warrior, he wasn't. He was fools gold, a player who took advantage of an injury to rise from obscurity and have a nice season, racking up good numbers against sub-par opposition. How that translates to the number 11 pick is a complete mystery. I wouldn't be surprised if Maybin never gets a sack in the NFL.