Still have a shot ... don't count Buffalo out (or do if you're

gsf101

Now I'm probably going to get booed off this board for posting this, but I'm reminded of Jim Carrey's line from "Dumb and Dumber" ... 'so you're saying there's a chance!'

Buffalo can still win the AFC East, and while it would require a total meltdown from New England, it wouldn't be unheard of - remember San Diego won the West last year with an 8-8 record, and then beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

Buffalo's playoff possibilities:

1. Buffalo needs to win out (New England, at Atlanta, Indianapolis)

2. New England needs to lose out (at Buffalo, Jacksonville, at Houston)

3. Miami must lose out (at Tennessee, Houston, Pittsburgh)

4. New York cannot win more than one game (Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati)

That would put Buffalo and New England at 8-8 and Miami and New York at 7-9. According to this Yahoo! scenario generator, that gives Buffalo the division.

Is it likely? No. But it's possible. And as Yogi Berra once said, "it ain't over 'til it's over." I don't know about all of you but I don't quit on the playoff dreams until Buffalo is mathematically eliminated.

However, Buffalo cannot win a Wild Card because it is impossible that all the 7-6 teams lose out because they play one another. Plus, Buffalo does not own the tiebreaker over Jacksonville (the current #6 seed) due to the 18-15 loss on November 22. Jacksonville plays New England, so one of those teams will win - whichever team wins that game basically eliminates Buffalo from reaching that particular qualifier, whether it be the East or the Wild Card. If the Bills beat the Patriots this week, root for the Jaguars next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenari...amp;16=00044000

It they say this is another meaningless december

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE - The Bills CANNOT win a Wild Card, and here's why ... their conference record sucks. At best, the Bills finish 5-7 in their conference, which would include wins over New England and Indianapolis to end the season.

If Baltimore loses out, they are 7-9, and wouldn't be better than Buffalo's 8-8.

If Miami loses out, they are 7-9, and wouldn't be better than Buffalo's 8-8.

However, for both of those to occur, Baltimore and Miami would both have to lose to Pittsburgh, which would put the Steelers at a minimum of 8-8. I thought Buffalo would win the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh, but they wouldn't, as Buffalo's conference record would be 5-7 and Pittsburgh's would be 6-6.

If Baltimore beats Pittsburgh and then lose the other two to go to 8-8, their conference record would be 7-5, better than Buffalo's 5-7.

If Miami beats Pittsburgh and the lose the other two to go to 8-8, their division record would be 4-2, better than Buffalo's 3-3.

So after all that explanation earlier, when I finally crunched the numbers - I learned the truth. Buffalo can only win the AFC East and not a Wild Card, after all.

If New England, Miami and New York all lose out, and Buffalo wins out - Buffalo and New England would be 8-8, Miami and New York would be 7-9. However, the Jets could finish at 8-8, and would then lose on the division record tiebreaker (2-4 compared to Buffalo and New England's 3-3).

Tiebreakers used to split Buffalo and New England would be: head-to-head (would be 1-1), division record (both would be 3-3), best record in common games (both would be 6-6), conference record (both would be 5-7), strength of victory (because Buffalo beat Indianapolis, that's the highest strength of the victory), and the division would be theirs.

Easier typed than done.

UPDATE - The Bills CANNOT win a Wild Card, and here's why ... their conference record sucks. At best, the Bills finish 5-7 in their conference, which would include wins over New England and Indianapolis to end the season.

If Baltimore loses out, they are 7-9, and wouldn't be better than Buffalo's 8-8.

If Miami loses out, they are 7-9, and wouldn't be better than Buffalo's 8-8.

However, for both of those to occur, Baltimore and Miami would both have to lose to Pittsburgh, which would put the Steelers at a minimum of 8-8. I thought Buffalo would win the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh, but they wouldn't, as Buffalo's conference record would be 5-7 and Pittsburgh's would be 6-6.

If Baltimore beats Pittsburgh and then lose the other two to go to 8-8, their conference record would be 7-5, better than Buffalo's 5-7.

If Miami beats Pittsburgh and the lose the other two to go to 8-8, their division record would be 4-2, better than Buffalo's 3-3.

So after all that explanation earlier, when I finally crunched the numbers - I learned the truth. Buffalo can only win the AFC East and not a Wild Card, after all.

If New England, Miami and New York all lose out, and Buffalo wins out - Buffalo and New England would be 8-8, Miami and New York would be 7-9. However, the Jets could finish at 8-8, and would then lose on the division record tiebreaker (2-4 compared to Buffalo and New England's 3-3).

Tiebreakers used to split Buffalo and New England would be: head-to-head (would be 1-1), division record (both would be 3-3), best record in common games (both would be 6-6), conference record (both would be 5-7), strength of victory (because Buffalo beat Indianapolis, that's the highest strength of the victory), and the division would be theirs.

Easier typed than done.

every party has its pooper

4. New York cannot win more than one game (Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati)

Miami and Jets losing out is highly likely. they both play 3 very tough teams. The only game that will make this possible is Buffalo vs New England. If Buffalo can beat New England than i can see them beating Atlanta, who is primarily a passing offense, and your defensive strength is your pass defense. Indy will probably rest their starters so that should be winnable too.

New England seems to be collapsing lately, and with this "moss" drama, who knows? But if they lose to Buffalo, then The jags and Texans should be able to beat them as well.

Unfortunately, if the stars aligned and buff did make it to the playoffs, you'd prob only make it to the first round :thumbsup:

Miami and Jets losing out is highly likely. they both play 3 very tough teams. The only game that will make this possible is Buffalo vs New England. If Buffalo can beat New England than i can see them beating Atlanta, who is primarily a passing offense, and your defensive strength is your pass defense. Indy will probably rest their starters so that should be winnable too.

New England seems to be collapsing lately, and with this "moss" drama, who knows? But if they lose to Buffalo, then The jags and Texans should be able to beat them as well.

Unfortunately, if the stars aligned and buff did make it to the playoffs, you'd prob only make it to the first round :thumbsup:

The Colts are still undefeated so unless they lose we play them at full strength but these teams all pass better than they run which doesn't mean they can't run AT has a beast in their backfield. But they will try to pass against IMO the best pass D in the NFL.

Now I'm probably going to get booed off this board for posting this, but I'm reminded of Jim Carrey's line from "Dumb and Dumber" ... 'so you're saying there's a chance!'

Buffalo can still win the AFC East, and while it would require a total meltdown from New England, it wouldn't be unheard of - remember San Diego won the West last year with an 8-8 record, and then beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

for one team to lose would be one thing, but damn, we need everything to go wrong with everybody and everything to go right with us. this is buffalo remember? i love my bills. but i have zero faith in them making playoffs this year.

i would be content if they win 2 of next 3. our end of schedule is not easy if u look at it.

That would put Buffalo and New England at 8-8 and Miami and New York at 7-9. According to this Yahoo! scenario generator, that gives Buffalo the division.

Is it likely? No. But it's possible. And as Yogi Berra once said, "it ain't over 'til it's over." I don't know about all of you but I don't quit on the playoff dreams until Buffalo is mathematically eliminated.

However, Buffalo cannot win a Wild Card because it is impossible that all the 7-6 teams lose out because they play one another. Plus, Buffalo does not own the tiebreaker over Jacksonville (the current #6 seed) due to the 18-15 loss on November 22. Jacksonville plays New England, so one of those teams will win - whichever team wins that game basically eliminates Buffalo from reaching that particular qualifier, whether it be the East or the Wild Card. If the Bills beat the Patriots this week, root for the Jaguars next week.

Please don't get our hopes up, This all depends on what they mean by strength of victory.

The Colts are going to come in to THE RALPH all hopped up trying to sport THE PERFECT SEASON. They WILL play their starters... they WILL lay it all on the line. The game is close! Fitzpatrick is dueling Manning... neither one will blink! ZOWIE!!!! The game is tied! The final score from New England goes up on the jumbotron... the Pats lost, to finish 8-8! The division could be ours! 15 seconds left (Colts have 1 timeout to set up the FG) and Manning is driving the Colts for the win! From the Bills 48 yard line he takes that snap... and we get that sinking feeling in our gut. "No... not like this... not again..."

He has Dallas Clark streaking down the seam... Manning hoists the ball into the air...

Byrd flies in out of nowhere, and picks it off! Then he returns it for a TD! Clock reads 0:00! He begins to do his patented Bird Dance and the crowd goes ape shiznat! The P.A. comes on "STAND AND CHEER YOUR AFC EAST CHAMPION BUFFALO BILLS!!!!"

The Colts are going to come in to THE RALPH all hopped up trying to sport THE PERFECT SEASON. They WILL play their starters... they WILL lay it all on the line. The game is close! Fitzpatrick is dueling Manning... neither one will blink! ZOWIE!!!! The game is tied! The final score from New England goes up on the jumbotron... the Pats lost, to finish 8-8! The division could be ours! 15 seconds left (Colts have 1 timeout to set up the FG) and Manning is driving the Colts for the win! From the Bills 48 yard line he takes that snap... and we get that sinking feeling in our gut. "No... not like this... not again..."

He has Dallas Clark streaking down the seam... Manning hoists the ball into the air...

Byrd flies in out of nowhere, and picks it off! Then he returns it for a TD! Clock reads 0:00! He begins to do his patented Bird Dance and the crowd goes ape shiznat! The P.A. comes on "STAND AND CHEER YOUR AFC EAST CHAMPION BUFFALO BILLS!!!!"

Then there is a flag for Pass Interference, the Bills hold. Fitz throws just another in a long line of terrible decision throws that gets picked off and ran back. Bills Lose!