Just watched the Frontline special

And I have to say, if we're to have universal health insurance I'd like to see something similare to Japan or Germany's system...NOT the UK or Canada's.

The House Democrats are so !@#$ing spineless, I don't think we'll have any brand of worthwhile government sponsored Health Insurance.

The House Democrats are so !@#$ing spineless, I don't think we'll have any brand of worthwhile government sponsored Health Insurance.

I think you meant the Senate Democrats, Dumbass :thumbsup:

Having said that, the job of these fools is to represent their constituents, and most politicians are hearing from their electorate, "Don't vote for this Bill or it will be your last term"

RealClear Politics has recently compiled polls from CNN, Fox, Quinnipiac, Rasmussen, Gallup and Ipsos/McClatchey and less than 38% of voters want this !@#$ing thing.

Even in many of the blue states they don't want it, Rasmussen has a good breakdown of that.

I think you meant the Senate Democrats, Dumbass :thumbsup:

Having said that, the job of these fools is to represent their constituents, and most politicians are hearing from their electorate, "Don't vote for this Bill or it will be your last term"

RealClear Politics has recently compiled polls from CNN, Fox, Quinnipiac, Rasmussen, Gallup and Ipsos/McClatchey and less than 38% of voters want this !@#$ing thing.

Even in many of the blue states they don't want it, Rasmussen has a good breakdown of that.

House and/or congress used in the global sense.

The poll is whether they want their plan and all its horrible intricacies.

The poll data does NOT represent the ringing national endorsement of a public option.

The poll data does NOT represent the ringing national endorsement of a public option.

I got to hand it to you, you are about as creative as it gets when it comes to backtracking.

"ringing" national endorsement :thumbsup:

Depending on the wording of the polls, because there are so many ways it has been worded, the polls have ranged any where from 40%-60% support, I would hardly call that a "ringing endorsement". More like equally divided, and what most people want Big C is cost containment. People want to pay less for health insurance while not having their coverage watered down, that is what is most important to individuals.

When the W.H and Congress were demonizing the health insurers for being "evil and greedy" the idea of the "public option" was appealing, because the claim was that it would keep these insurers honest. I knew this was a bogus argument from the beginning, all one had to do is look at the Profit Margins for the health insurance industry to know that the problem wasn't competition. Profit Margins in this industry is below 3.3% and last year was below 2.8%. Sure there are some states that have less competition and it so happens in those states the insurers have a much higher PM.

So, the solution for competition in some of these states would be to open up state lines so that insurers could compete with one another, but that hasn't been added to the Bill.

But the issue is that health insurers aren't the problem as the W.H and Congress had people believe and that was highlighted in the CBO scoring of premiums, where according to their figures it showed that premiums all in all would actually be HIGHER, not LOWER, for those who don't qualify for subsidies of course.

So if premiums won't be lower, then what is the point of the public option?

It's time to scrap this bill, not even the libs are totally on board with it and the Independents are against it almost by a 3 to 1 margin. Of course, they won't do that, the president and senate leadership has spent an incredible amount of political capital on this reform and they've foolishly boxed themselves in by pressing for this bill to pass by the end of the year.

The reason why they've done this is for two reasons, one, they are deathly afraid of the moderate democrats having to go home to their constituents during the break, knowing that they will get an earful, which could very likely change their votes, and two, Obama is desperate to have this bill behind him before the State of the Union address. He wants to be able to go to the American public and have a significant reform and victory so that the Democrats can have something to hang their hat on. It is a great way to start the year, knowing it will be very heavily televised and viewed. He also wants to be able to focus on JOBS JOBS JOBS, and not having this done will create a huge headache for him and democrats, specially since it is a big election year.

Just admit you screwed it up.

So?

So? Public opinion is vastly overrated and should be.

Just admit you screwed it up.

So?

So? Public opinion is vastly overrated and should be.

Sure did.

The point of the thread was identifying brands of universal coverage, Magox responded with a poll about how people felt about the Obama/Dems bill, which says nothing about how America feels about universal coverage.

I wasn't arguing the merits of a public option/universal coverage, just negating the implication that it was less popular than popular, nationally.

And I have to say, if we're to have universal health insurance I'd like to see something similare to Japan or Germany's system...NOT the UK or Canada's.

There is nothing that prevents a person from writing a check or providing a credit card to the doctor for themselves or their kids if they need a simple doctor visit or test. There is nothing preventing a person from buying a catastrophic policy to provide them and/or their kids coverage in the event of a hospital stay or procedure.

Prexisting conditions need to be addressed. Selling of policies across state lines would increase competition and choices.

Medicaid and Medicare need some help which doesn't require a complete overhaul of our system.