Saints Vs. Redskins

Red

Ok, so this post is probably not going to see much light of day, but living in the Metro Washington DC area and being a former Buffalonian who loves the Bills (and Sabres), I wanted to put this out there in TBD land and see what everyone thinks.

The Bills played this past Thursday, so I was spared the disappointment of another loss this weekend. I also had some time on my hands, and see alot of parallels between the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins (inept front office, owner hindering team, lame head coach, no real GM, roster and culture of losing, high draft picks not producing, patchwork offensive line), so much so that only 1 win separates these two mirror images of one another.

What first struck me as I nestled in to watch as the first snowfall of the year had settled, was the sheer amount of Buffalo connections in this game. London Fletcher, Todd Collins, Jabari Greer (who did not play), Pearson Preleau(?), Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Anthony Hargrove, and Gregg Williams. The game was a thriller that went into overtime. Suisham- the Skins kicker, lost the game by missing a 20-some yard field goal to put the score out of reach in the waning moments of the 4th quarter. But, as losing cultures often do, the Suisham missed the kick- thereby finding a way to lose- and the Saints found a way to win the game in OT.

But something that struck me after watching this game, was just how much the "offensive consultant" turned coordinator Sherm Lewis has influenced this team for the better.

With the entire region calling for his head but a few weeks ago, Cambell looks like a pro as he had passed for over 300 yards and 3 TD's. Receiving busts Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas played, and Thomas had a breakout game. The offense had flair, diversity, and it built momentum as the game went on.

The offensive line, who had recently signed T Levi Jones and moved Mike Williams to RG to compensate for injuries, played like a solid unit and gave Campell the time he needed.

And Orakpo. For a long time, I have sat back and said "it's too early to give up on Maybin". Watching yesterday's game, I could not help but marvel at what a blunder our personnel people have made again. As a rookie, an undersized Orakpo was driving the Saints LT into the backfield repeatedly. He also showed cat-like speed around the edge on several plays.

Orakpo was the one showing flashes of Bruce Smith.

Another player I was watching (and who, coincidentally made part of the game saving play for the Dolphins yesterday) Cameron Wake, left me scratching my head as to why the Bills did not make it more difficult for Wake to choose the Dolphins over the Bills.

Then I got to wondering (dreaming):

- If our personnel people were not such idiots, what would our pass rush would look like with Orakpo on the right and Cameron Wake on the Left side?

- Why, did we not make a move for Levi Jones? He looks solid. Runyan is with San Diego. We eventually signed G Kendall Simmons. I know hindsight is 20/20, but all 3 of these guys should have been signed. Jones, Hangartner, Wood, Simmons, and Runyan at RT would surely be more solid than what we have had to deal with this season.

- we need a real offensive coordinator; no offense to AVP. Lewis has found a way to implement the Tight End into the game. Back-up running backs are moving the chains. Campell looks efficient. And he found a way to get both of those high round draft picks - Thomas and Kelly- into the game and as mentioned earlier Thomas had a breakout day. The offensive line even looked tough with Mike Williams playing!! For the first time in nearly a decade, the Redskins offense has a flow, an identity, and a scheme with which to use its players (no gimmicks), and succeed. What a difference to have someone who clearly knows what they are doing run the show.

Will the Bills ever see the light of day?

Ok, so this post is probably not going to see much light of day, but living in the Metro Washington DC area and being a former Buffalonian who loves the Bills (and Sabres), I wanted to put this out there in TBD land and see what everyone thinks.

The Bills played this past Thursday, so I was spared the disappointment of another loss this weekend. I also had some time on my hands, and see alot of parallels between the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins (inept front office, owner hindering team, lame head coach, no real GM, roster and culture of losing, high draft picks not producing, patchwork offensive line), so much so that only 1 win separates these two mirror images of one another.

What first struck me as I nestled in to watch as the first snowfall of the year had settled, was the sheer amount of Buffalo connections in this game. London Fletcher, Todd Collins, Jabari Greer (who did not play), Pearson Preleau(?), Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Anthony Hargrove, and Gregg Williams. The game was a thriller that went into overtime. Suisham- the Skins kicker, lost the game by missing a 20-some yard field goal to put the score out of reach in the waning moments of the 4th quarter. But, as losing cultures often do, the Suisham missed the kick- thereby finding a way to lose- and the Saints found a way to win the game in OT.

But something that struck me after watching this game, was just how much the "offensive consultant" turned coordinator Al Saunders has influenced this team for the better.

With the entire region calling for his head but a few weeks ago, Cambell looks like a pro as he had passed for over 300 yards and 3 TD's. Receiving busts Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas played, and Thomas had a breakout game. The offense had flair, diversity, and it built momentum as the game went on.

The offensive line, who had recently signed T Levi Jones and moved Mike Williams to RG to compensate for injuries, played like a solid unit and gave Campell the time he needed.

And Orakpo. For a long time, I have sat back and said "it's too early to give up on Maybin". Watching yesterday's game, I could not help but marvel at what a blunder our personnel people have made again. As a rookie, an undersized Orakpo was driving the Saints LT into the backfield repeatedly. He also showed cat-like speed around the edge on several plays.

Orakpo was the one showing flashes of Bruce Smith.

Another player I was watching (and who, coincidentally made part of the game saving play for the Dolphins yesterday) Cameron Wake, left me scratching my head as to why the Bills did not make it more difficult for Wake to choose the Dolphins over the Bills.

Then I got to wondering (dreaming):

- If our personnel people were not such idiots, what would our pass rush would look like with Orakpo on the right and Cameron Wake on the Left side?

- Why, did we not make a move for Levi Jones? He looks solid. Runyan is with San Diego. We eventually signed G Kendall Simmons. I know hindsight is 20/20, but all 3 of these guys should have been signed. Jones, Hangartner, Wood, Simmons, and Runyan at RT would surely be more solid than what we have had to deal with this season.

- we need a real offensive coordinator; no offense to AVP. Saunders has found a way to implement the Tight End into the game. Back-up running backs are moving the chains. Campell looks efficient. And he found a way to get both of those high round draft picks - Thomas and Kelly- into the game and as mentioned earlier Thomas had a breakout day. The offensive line even looked tough with Mike Williams playing!! For the first time in nearly a decade, the Redskins offense has a flow, an identity, and a scheme with which to use its players (no gimmicks), and succeed. What a difference to have someone who clearly knows what they are doing run the show.

Will the Bills ever see the light of day?

I agree with everything you said, but Al Saunders was fired a while ago. Sherman Lewis is the OC consultant. And one more link to Buf and Washington is that both are going for the same head coach - Shannahan. It's beyond bizarre how close the Redskins and Bills are....this is coming from a Washingtonian.

I agree with everything you said, but Al Saunders was fired a while ago. Sherman Lewis is the OC consultant. And one more link to Buf and Washington is that both are going for the same head coach - Shannahan. It's beyond bizarre how close the Redskins and Bills are....this is coming from a Washingtonian.

Thank you, SuperBills for the correction.

Sherm Lewis is the correct man in charge.

I am getting mixed up with the names...I could not remember Devin Thomas' name, and kept thinking that it was Devin Hester.

It's been that way for at least the past two seasons. They have a poor O Line, their RB Portis is a premadonna and have an unsettled QB.

It's kills me when the idiot writers at the Post think that the Skins are a far better team and disparaging Buffalo often calling them the Argo Bills. I stopped reading their sports page. The same applies got the crew on 980 Czaban & Polin.

But I give them some credit. They are sure of two things. They don't like Cerato and are not afraid to say so. And Zorn is through.

WRT to the game - I was shocked to see the skins ahead with under 3 minutes to go (when I peeked while watching and (gag me) rooting for the Fish) and then even more surprised then they turned the ball over w/o points.

I don't pretend to know all the picks in the drafts but 2 that I felt very strongly about were Ngata and Orakpo. If I can see how obvious it is from my couch, how can these idiots in our office miss them? I will never understand this.....

Again, another excellent point.

Haloti Ngata is a stud in Baltimore. He was available when we decided that Donte Whitner would solve our ills.

Ngata, Orakpo, and Wake. I think out D-Line would have been mostly fixed.

Don't forget the special teams coach Danny Smith was the one left behind when Gregg Williams left Washington. Still see a lot of special teams blunders in Red$kin$.