Still want Tebow?

dib

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of Tebow's biggest fans but this isn't a valid comparison. Manning played in a pro style offense. Tebow plays in a gimmick college offense. He rarely throws the ball down field and their entire passing game is based off catch and runs. He threw a couple tds to Hernandez that went for big gains that didn't travel more than 5 yards in the air. Look how long it's taken Alex Smith to develop.

Bottomline is there is so much to like about Tebow. but he is a project at best as a NFL QB and it would insane for Buffalo to gamble on him at this point. The team that makes the most sense is the PAts. He can run some gadget plays and then learn under Brady (and hopefully not how to knock up chicks).

I'm not comparing the players' skills, just simply pointing out that his passing numbers are nothing to shake a stick at. He can most certainly throw the ball. Funny delivery? Yes. Lack of pro-style experience? Yes. But nobody's going to convince me that he doesn't have a shot to become a great NFL QB.

There is a significant difference in the offenses, yes, but the fact is that you can't achieve a YPA--a stat more indicative of QB play than QB rating even--of above 9 (ridiculously high) just dumping off to backs and tight ends. You have to throw the ball downfield on at least a somewhat consistent basis for it to be that high.

And regarding Alex Smith, he played in 3 different offensive systems in 4 years, and half that time was subject to the whims of Mike Martz's in-and-out routine. It took him a while to develop, yes, but he's playing some pretty good football right now. And as far as college accumen, Tebow has him beat on that coming out of school.

And I'm not saying that Buffalo should draft him, I'm simply pointing out that somebody will, and it will be a lot earlier that some folks on this board believe.

And I don't disagree with the FSU remarks. But they weren't going to stick Bobby in the toilet bowl.

1. Miami does not "travel well" to bowl games, FSU does (Gator Bowl is already sold out).

2. Clemson would have been in line to play in the Gator Bowl, not Miami.

3. Bowl games have never been about matching best teams (or else there would be a playoff).

Guest dog14787
You're seriously going to say that a guy with a career completion percentage of 65.2 can't throw?

Or perhaps you're referring to his 9.17 yards per attempt figure (which is almost a full yard per attempt better than Peyton Manning's 8.27 over his 4-year college career)?

Tell you what, let's compare their career college numbers side by side:

Category-----Manning-----Tebow

Completions-----851---------630

Attempts---------1,354-------960

Percentage------62.85-------65.6

YPA---------------8.27--------9.13 (8.65 as a Senior; Manning's was 8.01)

Longest Comp.---71-----------77

TDs----------------90-----------85

INTs---------------33-----------16

TD-INT Ratio----2.7:1--------5.3:1

Yeah, you're right, he can't throw at all. :devil:

That Manning guy turned out okay, didn't he?

Also, again I'll say that there are some pretty decent NFL head coaches (i.e. Belichick and Gruden) that disagree with you on Tebow.

And yes, he'll be selected in the first round.

And he'll play QB.

And yes, Buffalo should draft a QB first...it's the most important position in the game (for that debate, you'll want to go to the QB vs. OL thread).

Period.

Good comparison, myself personally, I think Tebow's the guy for the Buffalo Bills.

If you think Tebows arm is weaker than Trents, you haven't seen much of either of them play. NO other colllege QB faced tougher defenses than Tebow & he has shown he can take a hit.

I've seen quite a bit of both of them. Trent can make the throws that Tebow doesn't even bother attempting (btw I don't think Trent is good, but his problems are about 95% mental). I also think he can take hits, but in the NFL the hits are a lot more brutal because the players on defense are bigger, stronger, faster, and are all men rather than borderline teenagers.

I really like Tebow as a competitor and understand those that think this will translate to the NFL - imo its gonna be a huge leap. His best chance is working nonstop on quickening his release. At least then I think he might have a chance.

I've seen quite a bit of both of them. Trent can make the throws that Tebow doesn't even bother attempting (btw I don't think Trent is good, but his problems are about 95% mental). I also think he can take hits, but in the NFL the hits are a lot more brutal because the players on defense are bigger, stronger, faster, and are all men rather than borderline teenagers.

I really like Tebow as a competitor and understand those that think this will translate to the NFL - imo its gonna be a huge leap. His best chance is working nonstop on quickening his release. At least then I think he might have a chance.

I think you have that backwards, Tebow can make the throws that Trent will not attempt. I agree Tebow will face Men VS Boys in the NFL but the SEC has the BIGGEST boys in College Football.

I think you have that backwards, Tebow can make the throws that Trent will not attempt. I agree Tebow will face Men VS Boys in the NFL but the SEC has the BIGGEST boys in College Football.

i meant the throws they can physically make, not the ones they have the guts to attempt. Lord knows Trent wouldn't throw the ball at all if he could get away with it. :devil:

I think that had more to do with the fact they have NO Coach than it does class.

ND has about 30 coaches on staff.I/m sure one of them could have taken over. So since the Bills head coach was fired now the Bills dont have a coach?

ND has about 30 coaches on staff.I/m sure one of them could have taken over. So since the Bills head coach was fired now the Bills dont have a coach?

I wonder how many of those coaches will be there when ND hires its new HC. ND is EMBARRASSED by the firing of Weiss, they don't need the attention of going to some crappy Bowl. I still say it has nothing to do with having class.