Shawn Nelson

BeastMode54

I don't really have much to post, but I haven't really seen anyone talk about him. His blocking hasn't been all that bad, and he seems to be fast with really good hands for a tight end. He looks like a big WR. If he can put on 10 pounds of muscle or so, I think he can be a very good player for us. There was one play that Fitz overthrew the ball and he laid out, full extension, to try and get it. It was still just out of his range, but he managed to get his fingertips on it preventing a INT. The effort he gave on the play, and the full extension, were things I haven't see from a TE on this team, let alone a WR, in a very long time. I think we got a really good TE in the making, and a steal in the 4th round

Guest dog14787
I don't really have much to post, but I haven't really seen anyone talk about him. His blocking hasn't been all that bad, and he seems to be fast with really good hands for a tight end. He looks like a big WR. If he can put on 10 pounds of muscle or so, I think he can be a very good player for us. There was one play that Fitz overthrew the ball and he laid out, full extension, to try and get it. It was still just out of his range, but he managed to get his fingertips on it preventing a INT. The effort he gave on the play, and the full extension, were things I haven't see from a TE on this team, let alone a WR, in a very long time. I think we got a really good TE in the making, and a steal in the 4th round

Yup, he had a couple of mistakes early on in the fish game, but he's a rookie and he came back and made some plays afterward, I really like Nelson allot. :thumbsup:

It would be nice to get him a few more throws. I really like what I have seen out of him. Could the perennial TE search come to an end? Why were Shouman and Fine starting over him? Stupar...really?

I wonder what we are waiting for with some of these guys. Wouldn't it behoove us to have him on the field as much as possible? He has looked better than any of the alternatives, and he isn't going to magically comprehend the speed of play from practice, pads or not. Let's get him in there!!

It would be nice to get him a few more throws. I really like what I have seen out of him. Could the perennial TE search come to an end? Why were Shouman and Fine starting over him? Stupar...really?

I wonder what we are waiting for with some of these guys. Wouldn't it behoove us to have him on the field as much as possible? He has looked better than any of the alternatives, and he isn't going to magically comprehend the speed of play from practice, pads or not. Let's get him in there!!

I think the only reason he hasn't seen more time is because our offensive line is so bad and they needed bigger guys out there that could block a little bit. I think next year will be big for him

his blocking needs work

That's an understatement. He has made some ugly errors in blocking which have led to penalties and plays getting blown up. He's a serious liability in the run game. He's gonna get one of our guys killed if he doesn't improve his technique.

But I have high hopes for him, too... as a receiver. He's really more of a big WR than a true TE, and he presents a real coverage mis-match if he is lined up across from a safety or LB because of his combination of size, speed and route-running. Good to see AVP and Fitzpatrick getting him more involved in the last couple games.

i was realy impressed with him when i was watching the combine reports. i think he made some great plays this year already. his TD against the Pats* in the opener was awesome as was his catch against either carolina or NYJ where he reached around the defenders back and snatched the ball. Great player in the making

I think the only reason he hasn't seen more time is because our offensive line is so bad and they needed bigger guys out there that could block a little bit. I think next year will be big for him

Perhaps. Nelson's slight of build. Noted for college catches, like this guy:

CIN drafted the big noise TE from Missouri with their latter 3rd round pick - Chase Coffman. He had a bum foot, but that's over and he practices regularly. They say they are working on his blocking - but my guess is that he needs much more work, or will never show enough. He's been on the roster but inactive all season long. CIN lost Reggie Kelly and iron-hands Ben Utect (since cut because of concussions), and have struggled at the TE position, so that Coffman never got the call is telling.

CIN brought in a 2nd-year vet - JP Foschi , instead of activating Coffman. Coffman isn't tiny, BTW...he's taller and heavier than Nelson.

My guess is that he will get the axe if CIN really needs an active roster player. I don't think they can toss him to the PS. CIN has had 3 plucked off from their PS squad so far, so if he can be shoved there, I suppose some team will bite.

I wasn't a Derek Schouman fan to start the season but he was looking pretty good after the first two games. Losing him really hurt our offense, and it especially hurt Trent. Having a solid TE is critical when running the no huddle, and after he got hurt in the second game the no huddle fizzled. Hopefully he is fully healed for next year because he was looking like a #1 TE at the start of the season.

I think Nelson is going to need another year or so before he can be a every-down TE. He makes too many mistakes, and he seems to be called for at least one penalty a game. The ability is definitely there, lets just hope the Bills don't ruin it.

I wouldn't count out Stupar. He's shown potential throughout the preseason and in his limited playing time during the season. Might turn out to be a real diamond in the rough.

Guest dog14787
I wouldn't count out Stupar. He's shown potential throughout the preseason and in his limited playing time during the season. Might turn out to be a real diamond in the rough.

My thought also, Stupar has good hands and it would be nice to see him used more in the passing game.

Nelson makes a ton of mistakes but there is little question about his receiving skills and hands. He's very talented and could develop into a very good player. He also tries hard, he just needs a lot of work, experience, coaching and a little bulk. But he could help the pass game a lot right away. There is no reason to not send him deep down the middle as Evans and Owens work the sidelines.

I wasn't a Derek Schouman fan to start the season but he was looking pretty good after the first two games. Losing him really hurt our offense, and it especially hurt Trent. Having a solid TE is critical when running the no huddle , and after he got hurt in the second game the no huddle fizzled. Hopefully he is fully healed for next year because he was looking like a #1 TE at the start of the season.

I think Nelson is going to need another year or so before he can be a every-down TE. He makes too many mistakes, and he seems to be called for at least one penalty a game. The ability is definitely there, lets just hope the Bills don't ruin it.

:thumbsup: That is funny. Your post is right on, but the comment about the no huddle reminds me of the part in Major League when Dorn shows up to spring training.

Lou "I though you said we didnt' have any high-priced talent."

Charlie "I forgot about Dorn, because he's only high priced."

Seems a little off, since we aren't really talking about price her, but I seriously forgot about the no-huddle. What a joke!! I don't know about you guys, but my spirits are 10 times higher than when the Richard Jauron's Traveling Circus was in town. Holy s#$t, I don't like to type LOL, but I am really laughing out loud thinking about what a debacle that was.

As far as Shouman, it would be great to see him back, because I never got tired of saying "Hello....Shouman," but seriously, he did look good. A little slow but good blocking, and would be a perfect compliment to Nelson...the Yin to his Yang... Disclaimer: I know nothing about Nelson's Yang. I am not trying to start any rumors.

You're right, Stupar looked better than Fine (what is better than fine, good?) I apologize for getting down on him. He has looked good, I just think Nelson looks like a star, and I am way past waiting patiently.

We should put a sign out in front of the Ralph, Tight Ens for sale!! Cohnah Backs, we got Cohnah Backs!!! Step right up and get an undersized D-Linemen, get 'em while their still fast!!

his blocking needs work, but he has got potential and hopefully will gain more experience the rest of the season.

High hopes for him

Yes, he whiffed on the block that forced Fitz out of the pocket, but luckily that worked out well since Fitz took it in for the TD on the scramble. Nice to see a mistake have good results.

by the way beastmode54....your avatar makes me want to throw up whenever i see those hideous teeth that are probably full of rotting food and nasty bacteria. Just my opinion.

wow, you are doing a great job contributing to the board. keep it up. and by the way, if there are any pieces of food or debris in my avatar, you can eat them