Notre Dame coaching job

el Tigre

frankly do you still trust him? do you feel it's gonna work? i'm no MU fan but it makes me sad to see you in that sorry state and Rodriguez looks like he has no clue what he's doing there...

I know what you're saying and sometimes I feel the same. But Rodriguez has been successful everywhere he's been. He has a good track record. I think the drastic system change on offense,combined with attrition of scholarship players(mostly due to academics) on defense started him with very little talent that could play his type of ball. Honestly,UM had been slipping for a few years,especially on D. So he really has had to start from scratch. I think he'll be fine as long as he's given the time to let his recruits mature. He's building a team based on speed instead of size and it has been ugly in the early going. I also believe that the spread Rodriguez coaches can be devastating in the Big 10,being that it's a run heavy offense. He just needs a couple more years.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for quotes,

off the top of my head, after the ND UM game in September. I looked briefly but could not find the exact quote on the intertubes. But I heard it in a press conference, not sure if it was day of the game, day after the game, or what-

When he was being questioned at his press for passing twice at the end of the game instead of running the ball and burning clock/UM timeouts, Weis stated, "I didn't call the pass plays to be incompletions."

Basically, "I called the right plays, the players screwed up."

:sick:

Without verifying any of this (I'll take your word for it), come on man...your "interpretations" are ridiculous. By this definition anytime a coach said "We didn't execute" he'd be saying I did everything right and the players screwed it up.

And after the Navy game:

Basically, "My scheme is never the problem. And don't criticize me if you want to be a captain."

Responding to a possible suggestion as to why they lost by saying a team captain disagreed with another players reasoning is "blaming his players for the loss"??? I'll agree that he was a bit harsh to call out a single player, but you are reeeeeeeaching here.

Crazy how no player currently on the roster has had the slightest negative thing to say about him and the overwhelming response to his potential firing was for players to blame themselves for the team's shortcomings. Golden Tate practically started crying after the Stanford game when talking about how it was probably his last time playing for Weis. Sure sounds like the mark of a coach who consistently blamed his players for his failure...

:sick:

Without verifying any of this (I'll take your word for it), come on man...your "interpretations" are ridiculous. By this definition anytime a coach said "We didn't execute" he'd be saying I did everything right and the players screwed it up.

Responding to a possible suggestion as to why they lost by saying a team captain disagreed with another players reasoning is "blaming his players for the loss"??? I'll agree that he was a bit harsh to call out a single player, but you are reeeeeeeaching here.

Crazy how no player currently on the roster has had the slightest negative thing to say about him and the overwhelming response to his potential firing was for players to blame themselves for the team's shortcomings. Golden Tate practically started crying after the Stanford game when talking about how it was probably his last time playing for Weis. Sure sounds like the mark of a coach who consistently blamed his players for his failure...

You can take them as you like, as I have. It's one thing to read quotes and it's another thing to watch and hear somebody say them.

Asked if his COACHING DECISION to throw the ball was questionable, he laughed at the reporter and said, "No it wasn't. I don't call pass plays to be incompletions." Noooooo shiiiittt Charlie. But a coach can understand that even though they're supposed to be completions, it just so happens that 40% of the time they are not. It was a strange answer and I'm pissed I couldn't find it. I definitely heard it and remember it because of what a douche he sounded like when he said it. I think he realized what a douche he sounded like, because then he went on to the "We were just trying to win a football game right there" stuff.

Asked if his scheme was the problem in the Navy game, as one player suggested it was, Weis responded, "I think that question was presented to Ian (Williams), it was also presented to Kyle McCarthy, and from what I understand, Kyle McCarthy's answer was quite different, where he said it had nothing to do with the scheme. So there's a reason why one guy is a captain and one guy is not."

You think I'm reaching here? Isn't he absolving himself and staff and the scheme they came up with, and basically saying, "See, even my captain said it wasn't the scheme. So I guess Navy just had better players."

Whatever, it's all beside the point. He was always a smug a-hole in my opinion, and I'm certain I'm not alone there, and I would imagine there are quite a few guys in the ND locker room who aren't crying over his departure. Either he's not a very good head coach, or those recruiting ranking websites that consistently put ND's classes in the top-5 are waaaaayyyyy off.

You can take them as you like, as I have. It's one thing to read quotes and it's another thing to watch and hear somebody say them.

Asked if his COACHING DECISION to throw the ball was questionable, he laughed at the reporter and said, "No it wasn't. I don't call pass plays to be incompletions." Noooooo shiiiittt Charlie. But a coach can understand that even though they're supposed to be completions, it just so happens that 40% of the time they are not. It was a strange answer and I'm pissed I couldn't find it. I definitely heard it and remember it because of what a douche he sounded like when he said it. I think he realized what a douche he sounded like, because then he went on to the "We were just trying to win a football game right there" stuff.

Asked if his scheme was the problem in the Navy game, as one player suggested it was, Weis responded, "I think that question was presented to Ian (Williams), it was also presented to Kyle McCarthy, and from what I understand, Kyle McCarthy's answer was quite different, where he said it had nothing to do with the scheme. So there's a reason why one guy is a captain and one guy is not."

You think I'm reaching here? Isn't he absolving himself and staff and the scheme they came up with, and basically saying, "See, even my captain said it wasn't the scheme. So I guess Navy just had better players."

Whatever, it's all beside the point. He was always a smug a-hole in my opinion, and I'm certain I'm not alone there, and I would imagine there are quite a few guys in the ND locker room who aren't crying over his departure. Either he's not a very good head coach, or those recruiting ranking websites that consistently put ND's classes in the top-5 are waaaaayyyyy off.

Fair enough. You're right that we are probably going to slant things to fit our own views. Weis did plenty to piss people off with his off-the-cuff comments. But he did a lot of good things that went ignored once people had made their mind up about him.

He let a kid dying of cancer call the first offensive play of the Washington game in '05.

He started a great tradition of bringing the ND players over to Navy's side of the field after home games to stand with them while Navy played their alma mater.

He wasn't all bad. He just wasn't a good coach.

He let a kid dying of cancer call the first offensive play of the Washington game in '05.

I forgot about that. IIRC, they had to start that drive at their own 2 yard line and the kid had requested some crazy reverse or naked bootleg or something. In the press conference Charlie said something like "well, what could I do, I promised him!" :D

From what I could tell Charlie was a good guy and his players loved him. It's too bad he couldn't deliver the wins.

UCinn's Kelly will interview with ND:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009120...++We+understand

I wonder if the defection of their qb and top wr will factor in somehow.

Well they still have Floyd, Rudolph, Allen, Hughes, Riddick, Shaquelle Evans, Kamara, Crist, and a few others on offense that should help to keep them in the upper tier of the nation next year in offense. It's the defense that will likely remain horrible unless the players vastly improve, especially with their best LB (Manti Te'o) leaving for his 2 year Mormon mission.

Well they still have Floyd, Rudolph, Allen, Hughes, Riddick, Shaquelle Evans, Kamara, Crist, and a few others on offense that should help to keep them in the upper tier of the nation next year in offense. It's the defense that will likely remain horrible unless the players vastly improve, especially with their best LB (Manti Te'o) leaving for his 2 year Mormon mission.

Teo is leaving?

UCinn's Kelly will interview with ND:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009120...++We+understand

I wonder if the defection of their qb and top wr will factor in somehow.

Will be interesting to see how UCinn responds.

Will they let Kelly walk, thus continuing the perception BE schools are stepping stones on the coaching career ladder.

Or will they put up a fight, become aggressive in trying to retain Kelly, and thus telling the rest of the nation they have every intention of remaining/becoming an "elite" program.

I thought Mormons did their gig after college. Teo was a freshman this year, no?

Te'o said all through the recruiting process that he would likely take his sabbatical after his freshman year. Since then, there has been talk that he may not take it at all. I don't know what the latest word is though.

However, if I was the only good defensive player on a team who is currently bumbling through its 4th coach search in 8 years, if there was ever a good time to get the hell outta dodge...

Reading rumblings today that the Kelly deal could be finalized as soon as the end of the week.

Will they let Kelly walk, thus continuing the perception BE schools are stepping stones on the coaching career ladder.

I'm not sure what they could do to keep him if he decides he wants to go for the next challenge at ND.

It's not like he can do better at UC than he did this year. Obviously he'll never have an opportunity to play for a NC as long as the current system is in place.

Or will they put up a fight, become aggressive in trying to retain Kelly, and thus telling the rest of the nation they have every intention of remaining/becoming an "elite" program.

Good one, that cracks me up. Maybe the Royals will sign Roy Halladay for $120 million to show the Yankees that they have every intention of becoming an elite team, rather than just a farm system for the big boys.

How do you become an elite program when you go undefeated, have multiple quality wins, and are still an afterthought for any type of championship potential? How do you become an elite program when none of the so-called elite programs (other than maybe USC, Ohio State, or Texas) would ever consider playing you?

Let's face it...If Alabama lost to Auburn 22-21, and then dominated UF in the SEC title game 32-13, it's highly likely that Bama would still be playing for the national championship. But every game is a playoff game, right?

The "every game counts" argument is so off base. It turns out that none of Cincinnati's games really counted, along with 99% of all the other games this season. Didn't we know on October 1st that the final would be FL/Bama vs. Texas?

With Boise State, they could always hide behind the "mid-major" argument. Now the system is nitpicking through the hierarchy of their own BCS conferences.

Kelly staying at Cincy to "build a national power" is a ridiculous notion. His stock will never be higher, and now is the time to jump. The Big East is a launching pad for coaches, because the system forces it to be that way.

It's not that Texas and Bama are un-derserving, with Alabama especially posting several convincing quality wins. They both had excellent seasons. But so did 3-4 other schools. Coaches want to be in a position where:

-the best season is school history results in a shot at the national title

Not...

-the best season in school history, PLUS some losses by other teams with better exposure/perception/history, PLUS ability to actually schedule OOC games and win them on the road, PLUS favorable results from polls and computers, MIGHT result in a chance to play for the national title.

You can't blame any Big East coach going somewhere where option 1 is the case, because under the current arrangements, it is not.

You can't blame any Big East coach going somewhere where option 1 is the case, because under the current arrangements, it is not.

U Cinn bb coach Cronin was on the radio last night. His opinion was that the NCAA should put in a rule that while the season is on-going (including bowl appearances), there should be no contact, or tampering if you will - by other colleges. He noted that Kelly is in a tough spot.

Let's face it...If Alabama lost to Auburn 22-21, and then dominated UF in the SEC title game 32-13, it's highly likely that Bama would still be playing for the national championship. But every game is a playoff game, right?

I'd have bet my house on it.

The "every game counts" argument is so off base. It turns out that none of Cincinnati's games really counted, along with 99% of all the other games this season. Didn't we know on October 1st that the final would be FL/Bama vs. Texas?

Sad but very true. Every game only counts if you are one of the small handful of pre-season annointed teams that the BCS wants in the championship.

The Big East is a launching pad for coaches, because the system forces it to be that way. You can't blame any Big East coach going somewhere where option 1 is the case, because under the current arrangements, it is not.

Spot on.

And you know what? No one at the BCS is even slightly fazed by UC, BS or TCU being left out. They could care less. The only way they would ever consider it a dilemma is if 3 of their darlings were undefeated.

And you know what? No one at the BCS is even slightly fazed by UC, BS or TCU being left out. They could care less. The only way they would ever consider it a dilemma is if 3 of their darlings were undefeated.

Exactly. I can't believe that Texas kicker made that GW FG as time expired. The doors could've gotten blown off this whole thing, it would've been GREAT...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.