To better position this team

Alphadawg7

What I would like to see us do over the last part of the season...

1. Move Maybin to LB and see what he can do. If he can be productive there, we will have filled a big hole going into next season at LB.

2. Get Nic Harris some starts at LB...same reasons as above. Get him some playing time and see if he can make an impact. If he and Maybin prove valuable at LB, we just shored up our LB core for next season.

3. Get Brohm on the field and let him play atleast 3 games this year to see if he shows any promise to build on.

4. Start Nelson and let him get some more experience. He shows promise to be a big weapon for us, so lets get him some game time and experience he needs to keep progressing.

5. Get our young WR's more playing time. We have some promise in Steve Johnson and Hardy and I doubt TO is going to want to resign here with the offesnive struggles we have had. Although, if we bring in an solid vet at QB and a reputable coach, he may want to stay. Who knows, but either way, we need to see what our young guys can do.

If we do all this, we have accomplished several things. One, if we can get Maybin and Harris productive at LB, we will have eliminated a big need going into the draft. If Brohm can get on the field for a few games and show some promise, we can wait on drafting a QB until mid rounds allowing us to go OT and DL in the first 2 rounds.

Plus, if TO does not come back next year either becaue we choose not to or he doesnt want to, we will have a clearer picture on where we stand at WR. Plus with Nelson getting some playing time, we will have that much more dangerous of a weapon for this offense next year.

Bottom line, these moves would answer a lot of questions for next year and possibly create some flexibility going into the draft...Just my two cents...

1. Move Maybin to LB and see what he can do. If he can be productive there, we will have filled a big hole going into next season at LB.

2. Get Nic Harris some starts at LB...same reasons as above. Get him some playing time and see if he can make an impact. If he and Maybin prove valuable at LB, we just shored up our LB core for next season.

3. Get Brohm on the field and let him play atleast 3 games this year to see if he shows any promise to build on.

4. Start Nelson and let him get some more experience. He shows promise to be a big weapon for us, so lets get him some game time and experience he needs to keep progressing.

5. Get our young WR's more playing time. We have some promise in Steve Johnson and Hardy and I doubt TO is going to want to resign here with the offesnive struggles we have had. Although, if we bring in an solid vet at QB and a reputable coach, he may want to stay. Who knows, but either way, we need to see what our young guys can do.

If we do all this, we have accomplished several things. One, if we can get Maybin and Harris productive at LB, we will have eliminated a big need going into the draft. If Brohm can get on the field for a few games and show some promise, we can wait on drafting a QB until mid rounds allowing us to go OT and DL in the first 2 rounds.

Plus, if TO does not come back next year either becaue we choose not to or he doesnt want to, we will have a clearer picture on where we stand at WR. Plus with Nelson getting some playing time, we will have that much more dangerous of a weapon for this offense next year.

Bottom line, these moves would answer a lot of questions for next year and possibly create some flexibility going into the draft...Just my two cents...

Many of the items you discuss above can be evaluated if the team were to actually practice with pads on as they are now doing with Fewell.

Of course, it was tough for Dick to determine how productive any one was when most practices were indoors in shorts.

Players that should see snaps/plays designed for them simply to evaluate them.

S.Johnson

Hardy

Nelson

Meredith

Maybin

Harris

Ellis

These are all guys you mentioned. The first three dont need a lot of PT (I assume they wont get it with Lee and TO) but just 3-4 throws a game designed for them may be enough over the next feew weeks. Harris/Maybin cant be any worse than what we have, and Ellis cant be much a down grade either. Tha problem is those are the coaches decisions, Fewell is coaching for a HC job, or a DC job somewhere else - not likely to happen.

Players that should see snaps/plays designed for them simply to evaluate them.

S.Johnson

Hardy

Nelson

Meredith

Maybin

Harris

Ellis

These are all guys you mentioned. The first three dont need a lot of PT (I assume they wont get it with Lee and TO) but just 3-4 throws a game designed for them may be enough over the next feew weeks. Harris/Maybin cant be any worse than what we have, and Ellis cant be much a down grade either. Tha problem is those are the coaches decisions, Fewell is coaching for a HC job, or a DC job somewhere else - not likely to happen.

Yeah good points on Fewell and I forgot Chris Ellis on my orignal list, but San Jose Bills Fan pointed him out. I didnt even consider the Fewell factor you just mentioned...that definitely diminishes any hopes of this to any relevant degree. Like you said, getting any relevant reps for Hardy and Johnson would be tough, so a few a game is about the best we can hope for. However, we really should be getting Nelson some significant playing time and at least the majority of the snaps on passing downs.

1. He's never really dropped into coverage in college, he's being taught some of that, but u can't just throw him to the wolves.

2. With all the LB injuries, Harris will get a decent amount of PT.

3. If Fitz wins, don't plan on it, but if he gets beat up, there's a pretty good chance they'll roll the dice on Brohm this year.

4. Nelson starts now and has been starting the last two games if memory serves. He makes rookie mistakes and they don't throw to him much, but he's getting snaps.

5. This is a tough one. They paid big bucks for TO and desperately need him involved big time. Same with Lee Evans. So you spend millions on finally getting a serious 1-2 punch on WRs and then not play them to evaluate young talent? I think preseason is the best you can hope for. And IMO, there's not a chance in hell that TO comes back and plays for the Bills next year, unless nobody else wants him. If that happens, he might just retire ala Allen Iverson.

You could have made this post a lot shorter by just saying "we should play our young guys." Besides, is there any reason whatsoever to think Maybin can play LB besides the fact that he's simply too small to play DE (which, of course, is why we shouldn't have drafted him in the first place)??