Players That Need To Be Gone Next Year

Rico

Bledsoe does need to go, but not until after June 2005 as a cap casualty so his bonus can be distributed over 3 seasons.  It appears he is a $6+ million cap hit to stay (reasonable for a starting quality QB, but Bledsoe's play has not since late 2002 starter quality and likely will never be starter quality for the Bills), $4 million + if he is gone ASAP, and $3 million + if heis held and released as a cap casualty.

The million dollar difference in cap hit will determine whether our new players are long risk guys on the way out like Robinson at LB and Jenkins at S, or recent Pro Bowlers like Adams or Milloy (they are also on their way out but certainly more credble risks).

I think having Drew out ASAU (as soon as useful) makes a lot more sense than ASAP.

123144[/snapback]

barry - the salary cap is not an issue next year. the bills will be fine if they cut him earlier than june 1. right now, they're not scheduled to have any dead money next year.

Bledsoe does need to go, but not until after June 2005 as a cap casualty so his bonus can be distributed over 3 seasons.  It appears he is a $6+ million cap hit to stay (reasonable for a starting quality QB, but Bledsoe's play has not since late 2002 starter quality and likely will never be starter quality for the Bills), $4 million + if he is gone ASAP, and $3 million + if heis held and released as a cap casualty.

The million dollar difference in cap hit will determine whether our new players are long risk guys on the way out like Robinson at LB and Jenkins at S, or recent Pro Bowlers like Adams or Milloy (they are also on their way out but certainly more credble risks).

I think having Drew out ASAU (as soon as useful) makes a lot more sense than ASAP.

123144[/snapback]

ASAU & ASAP to me are the same to me...

deactivate him, send him home to Montana, & cut him on June 1st.

OK, all you armchair GM's...  So you cut or trade Drew, Henry, Moulds, Jennings, Fletcher, etc...

Remember this:  Football is a BUSINESS!  Who is going to buy tickets to see this team if we DUMP everyone in the hopes of rebuilding this team from the ground up.  We need an infusion of new veteran blood, not a complete transfusion. 

This team is 1 or 2 players away from being a VERY GOOD football team.  We have a solid D (New England game asside,) with strong veteran leadership.  Our problems are with the offensive offense.  We add one stud offensive lineman and replace DB and we have a much better offense.  If we could put up 21 points a game on offense, we would win the majority of our games.  Throw in a few points here and there on D or Special Teams and you've got a solid playoff team.

123152[/snapback]

I cannot agree with your statement about being one to two players away. I know you said to put the New England game aside, but how can you? They showed themselves to be a bunch of quitters. Their defensive leader (Fletcher) is a prima donna and very overrated. Posey hasn't shown much. Our two defensive tackles are getting old (although I like some of our second stringers) and our defensive ends are going to be manhandled by good running teams. Our defensive backfield is porous and old. Our placekicker is not the best and where do we start on the offense?

I am so disappointed in their lack of heart in the New England game that I have very little respect for the players on this team. Also, who is going to get us the one or two players? Ol' Whitey???????