cmon Toronto

toronto, ontario, or canadian gov will not subsidize the construction of a modern NFL facility, ala ford field, lucas oil or cowboy stadium.

No new stadium - no nfl team.

After Skydome (built for over 500 million) sold to rogers for like $25 million, the public support won't be there.

The only justification might be if there were an upcoming olympics, but I think that chicago would be bidding big for 2024, so no new stadium.

However, some Toronto guys just bought a stadium in Pontiac....

Ex home to the Detroit Lions, purchased for less then what you could buy an apartment for in New York City..........

The plan is to renovate it and use it for events/concerts and MLS. Can't see Detroit having the demand and $$$ to support 2 large venues for concerts and events. Probably make your money back quicker by leveling the stadium and rezoning the property to build some homes and buisnesses. You could always try and get a Bass Pro......................

If there is no market available to take them, they will just fold. Its not like they are just going to continue to keep a team in the market and let them lose money if they can't find a new owner to keep them in Buffalo

As for Toronto, the only losing sports team they support is the Leafs. Between Bills fans in Buffalo that refuse to support them when they aren't in buffalo, and Toronto fans not wanting to support a losing team at inflated prices, I'm not surprised they can't sell out. Also add in the fact that they know that this is being done to support a team somewhere else, not in Toronto, and Argo/Ticats fans in the area that are afraid that the NFL could come in and damage their league

Wait, what? The Bills are going to fold? Please, just stop talking.

They would if it was a winning team whose name started with Toronto

And if it's not a winning team? I think you just answered your own question. NFL teams sell out their stadiums, good or bad. Or at least they come close. Otherwise, they look to relocate. There is a serious lack of interest in Toronto for the product they would be receiving.

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. This is to make sure that the team benefits from a stadium full of enthusiastic fans, to assure the entertainment value of a full stadium, and to protect home game attendance and local television coverage. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

What a crock of !@#$ing bull ****. Why not just be honest and say "it because we want all your !@#$ing money." Eh, I've been actively avoiding the Bills this season anyhow. It'll be a little difficult when I'm at the Ralph tomorrow though...

on a side note; people in toronto won't be watching this weekends miami game on tv. local networks are choosing to air

indie and houston.

that's two weeks in a row, last weeks game against the jaguars wasn't shown in ontario either.

nfl on ctv

Yes becuase the Raptors are playing at the same time and that is a Toronto team. Toronto cares about Toronto, not Buffalo.

I could by 250 bills tickets and it would be the price of one leafs or Bills Toronto ticket...

Wrong, from someone who purchased both last year (but who is not wasting my time at the Rogers Centre again).

Nice try, though.

These games not selling out does nothing to prove that Toronto is not a viable city for the NFL. What people fail to take into consideration is that people in Toronto don't care about the Buffalo Bills (die hard Bills fans excluded).

I guess they don't care about the Jets or Fish either.

The games not selling out does quite a bit to demonstrate that Toronto is not a viable NFL city. No city can keep their NFL team long term if they fail to consistently sell out since the majority of NFL revenue comes from TV. Premium seat revenue is small potatoes by comparison and, to get the really big bucks, requires a big investment by the team to build a modern stadium. So that $1000 club seat might have to help service hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stadium debt.

I hear the excuse that the Bills aren't Toronto's team. If Toronto fans really wanted an NFL team, this wouldn't be an issue. The Bills in Toronto games were marketed as the first step in the Bills eventual relocation to Toronto. The difficulty the Rogers folks have had selling tickets is a statement that they don't want the Bills.

What do you think would happen if a struggling NHL team played an exhibition in Hamilton or some other hockey deprived Canadian city? Would the fans not show up because it wasn't their team? I think that you'd have near riots with fans trying to get tickets.

The games not selling out does quite a bit to demonstrate that Toronto is not a viable NFL city. No city can keep their NFL team long term if they fail to consistently sell out since the majority of NFL revenue comes from TV. Premium seat revenue is small potatoes by comparison and, to get the really big bucks, requires a big investment by the team to build a modern stadium. So that $1000 club seat might have to help service hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stadium debt.

I hear the excuse that the Bills aren't Toronto's team. If Toronto fans really wanted an NFL team, this wouldn't be an issue. The Bills in Toronto games were marketed as the first step in the Bills eventual relocation to Toronto. The difficulty the Rogers folks have had selling tickets is a statement that they don't want the Bills.

What do you think would happen if a struggling NHL team played an exhibition in Hamilton or some other hockey deprived Canadian city? Would the fans not show up because it wasn't their team? I think that you'd have near riots with fans trying to get tickets.

Correct.

And as for the "Toronto's team" arguments, they ring hollow: The Jays can't sell out, even with $2CD tix, and the Raptors are hopeful to be on par with Toronto's MLS team someday.

You are correct about one thing; Toronto doesn't care about the Jets or fish either, other than that, you have no clue.

Ex home to the Detroit Lions, purchased for less then what you could buy an apartment for in New York City..........

The plan is to renovate it and use it for events/concerts and MLS. Can't see Detroit having the demand and $$$ to support 2 large venues for concerts and events. Probably make your money back quicker by leveling the stadium and rezoning the property to build some homes and buisnesses. You could always try and get a Bass Pro......................

Have you ever been there? It is in the MIDDLE of NOWHERE. Worse than Foxboro. Who would choose to live there if a developement were put in?