Martz reportedly wants to be Bills coach

Reddy Freddy

I'm going to be in the minority... but I love Mike Martz as a coach. Everywhere he has been the offense has been better when he was there and worse when he left. I could care less about running the football... all I care about is points scored, and if you look at stats every team he has been w/ was better offensively when he was there and worse when he wasn't

I would take Martz in a heart beat & build a strong defence!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep him away from personnel matters. He drafted Trung Canidate in the first while Faulk was in his prime (Canidate ranked a 3rd-4th rounder) and a TON of idiotic choices over his years. He drafted one guy in the 4th round, an OL from Arizona, whom NOBODY had ever heard of.....simply to show the world his Mad Mike Genius.

He was in a special place....won the Super Bowl and had 3 first round picks the next year....and blew it. He decided to keep Marc Bulger over Kurt Warner.

He can design an offense, but he gets fixated on the passing game. Look at the Rams loss to the Pats in the Super Bowl. He forgot about Marshall Faulk for the entire 2nd half.

I'd say pass. As a head coach he managed to ruin the Rams franchise in a matter of 2 years.

That is the weakest answer around. It means you have no real answer.

"Go watch his games." Please.

Weak answer? BS. Explain why when Trent makes a mistake, he crawls into a shell and reverts back to checkdown mode. When he got pulled in the Tennessee game, did you see him put up a fight? No, he just went to his golly gee whiz mode.

If you don't want to call it heart, fine. Call it mental toughness. Call it whatever. Trent is just happy to be here as a player, and that's not acceptable.

Like Martz a lot as OC. His record is solid, the only issues are personality conflicts. I wanted the Bills to bring him in as OC at the start of this season... but no...

Mixed on him as HC. His track record there wasn't as strong. Better than Jauron though.

I wouldn't call Kelly and that 90's offense pass happy, well maybe at times.

Thurman Thomas accounted for about 70% of that offense, rarely did opposing teams stop that Buffalo running game. The Bills used to run to set up the pass.

If anything they seemed to forget Thurman was the key and did go pass happy in the super bowls, I suppose that is because Kelly called his own plays. The guy sitting next to me at SB 25 mentioned Kelly is trying to win MVP he is throwing so much.

When the media asked Marv Levy why they didn't run the ball more and use Thomas more, he stated "you dance with who brought you"...

To add to this (and agree with you), the Bills ran more often than they passed in three of their four Super Bowl seasons, and five of six years during the period of AFC East dominance which started in 1988.

1988: 528 runs (Thomas 207, Riddick 111, Mueller 81), 454 passes

1989: 532 runs (TT 298, Kinnebrew 131), 478 passes

1990: 479 runs (TT 271), 425 passes

1991: 505 runs (TT 288, Davis 129), 516 passes

1992: 549 runs (TT 312, KD 139), 509 passes

1993: 550 runs (TT 335, KD 109), 497 passes

Some of that can be attributed to running out the clock at the end of wins ... but when a team's primary back is at/above 300 carries, "pass-happy" might not be an accurate description. To compare, Marshall Faulk had 324 carries in his final season in Indy, and never more than 260 during his years as a Ram.