Why Not Billick

coldstorage5

I myself feel that Billick was never a great coach in Baltimore. Sure, they won a Superbowl, and he should receive his due for that, but here's my beef: he was billed as an offensive guru, and I think we can all agree that Baltimore's all-world defense is what kept them competitive for much of Billick's tenure. In fact, only once during Billick's time in Baltimore did the team finish in the top 10 in PPG, and only once did they rank in the top half of the league in YPG.

Just my 1 cent.

I myself feel that Billick was never a great coach in Baltimore. Sure, they won a Superbowl, and he should receive his due for that, but here's my beef: he was billed as an offensive guru, and I think we can all agree that Baltimore's all-world defense is what kept them competitive for much of Billick's tenure. In fact, only once during Billick's time in Baltimore did the team finish in the top 10 in PPG, and only once did they rank in the top half of the league in YPG.

Just my 1 cent.

That is so. But Billick's clubs were generally competitive, and I don't think there's any doubt about him being a strong personality who prepared his players well.

He has a good wit about him, too, IMO. They could do worse...

It may be true that he was supposed to be an offensive GURU and won with the strenth of his defense. Anyone knows that you MUST have an amazing defense if Trent Dilfer is your QB in the Super Bowl. But I would be ok with having that here in the cold windy Buffalo. A strong running game and shut down defense. Im not saying its not important to have a good QB but there are many ways to win and he proved it in Baltimore. It would look even better in cold/snowy/windy Buffalo. I still want Shanahan or Cowher first, but after that I'd take Billick and might come cheapest of all the available coaches out there.

Watching some of Billick's coaching decisions in his last two seasons were laughable. I could not believe someone in the league was making worse decisions than our own coach.

To add to that, he was supposed to be an offensive genius and yet the offense is where his teams failed year after year.

Soo, if the Bills hire Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan or Marvin Lewis to be the DC and Cam Cameron as the OC, then perhaps they might field a competent team.

To add to that, he was supposed to be an offensive genius and yet the offense is where his teams failed year after year.

Soo, if the Bills hire Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan or Marvin Lewis to be the DC and Cam Cameron as the OC, then perhaps they might field a competent team.

He had some good run offenses. In Minn he had unbelievable WR's and some good QB's.

Watching some of Billick's coaching decisions in his last two seasons were laughable. I could not believe someone in the league was making worse decisions than our own coach.

Whatever warts he may have, he's a forceful HC. And that deserves consideration IMO...especially with the current state of the Bills. We'll see if Fewell (with hope) brings some of that to the table.