CD vs vinyl

Fezmid

lol, I love that! Every time I see something like this, it serves as evidence that the audiophile community is enough of a target market for mainstream media to cater to. I don't personally have a turntable, but I know lots of people who do and they love the analog sound. I can vouch for the fact that it's MUCH more impressive than you'd ever give it credit for unless you heard a true audiophile rig.

:lol:

I prefer vinyl, but I have way more cds. I think vinyl both sounds better and I think that the work involved in it actually makes you more appreciative of the album - the differentiation between side 1 and side 2. I find I'm more engaged in the music.

Back in the early 90s when I was looking for my first pair of *real* speakers, I came across a guy who used to work for Bobby Palkovich of Merlin, which is based in Hemlock, NY. (Merlin is a very, VERY highly regarded speaker manufacturer for those who don't know) Anyway, this guy was starting his own offshoot speaker biz, and a buddy and I were over at his place for a demo. He played an LP of Suzanne Vega and we were in absolute shock at how good it sounded. We then listened to about half of the Dire Straights Brothers in Arms LP and were equally impressed.

As much as I love my digital music collection and my Squeezebox, I'm often very tempted to add a turntable to my rig and start buying some LPs.

Back in the early 90s when I was looking for my first pair of *real* speakers, I came across a guy who used to work for Bobby Palkovich of Merlin, which is based in Hemlock, NY. (Merlin is a very, VERY highly regarded speaker manufacturer for those who don't know) Anyway, this guy was starting his own offshoot speaker biz, and a buddy and I were over at his place for a demo. He played an LP of Suzanne Vega and we were in absolute shock at how good it sounded. We then listened to about half of the Dire Straights Brothers in Arms LP and were equally impressed.

As much as I love my digital music collection and my Squeezebox, I'm often very tempted to add a turntable to my rig and start buying some LPs.

But you didn't listen to the same album on a CD, now did you? Chances are it would've sounded the same (in my opinion :angry: ).

Your Squeezebox plays compressed, lossy audio, so I wouldn't expect that to sound as good.

But you didn't listen to the same album on a CD, now did you? Chances are it would've sounded the same (in my opinion :angry: ).

Your Squeezebox plays compressed, lossy audio, so I wouldn't expect that to sound as good.

CD's play compressed audio, too. It's an unavoidable feature of converting analog to digital.

It's just usually not noticable unless you're a serious audiophile with a high-end system. And no hearing loss at high frequencies, which most people have.

CD's play compressed audio, too. It's an unavoidable feature of converting analog to digital.

It's just usually not noticable unless you're a serious audiophile with a high-end system. And no hearing loss at high frequencies, which most people have.

Yup. Back when I did the H&S and HazMat thing, I and my charges were required to have yearly med. monitoring that included the sound booth auditory evaluation. My hearing was ok - but clipped in the higher ranges - possibly/likely due to working for years in heavy manufacturing. Of course, it wanes these days - the aging process, I suppose. Of that, we are all subject...

One can only speculate about the future of folks with constant I-Pod noise, and vehicles with these high wattage speakers.

Audiology is probably a good field for young people to consider. As well as ASL training... :angry:

I don't have the highest end turntable, though it is new, and I still often find the sound superior than cds. One in particular - Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life - the vinyl is so superior to the cd that I can't even listen to the album on cd anymore cause it sounds so flat in comparison.

YOu know me better than to think I'd have a collection of lossy files, man....99.9% of my albums are in Apple Lossless format. Every single bit of music that is on the CD track is on my digital track. The only ones that are compressed and lossy are the handful of MP3s I have in my collection.

And no, the example I gave above wasn't a CD to vinyl comparison, but I do have a friend in ATL who has a huge collection of both, and I've done the comparisons there. I don't know which I prefer, but they didn't really sound the same to my ears.

I have a 70's system in my family room. A big Kenwood amp with VU meters,a Marantz turntable with a strobe and 4 Advent speakers. And when you dial the tuner you can spin it from one end to the other. I dig it.It's loud as hell and the bass shakes the house. But really,the cd sound is superior. Much cleaner. But there is something to playing vinyl. Having to flip the record over,the cover art,the pops and static between songs. Maybe it's just that it brings back memories,but I listen to it all the time.