Is it time to realise we are screwed for awhile?

ICE

OK, all you wise guys who scoffed at my post...check this little factoid out:

"The first 15 Super Bowls all were played by teams that had winning records the previous season. That streak ended with Super Bowl XVI in January 1982. That's when the Bengals lost to the 49ers, teams that each had gone 6-10 in 1980.

Not counting this year, five of the previous six Super Bowls had one team that had a losing record in the previous season."

From THIS ARTICLE.

HERE IS MORE ON THE SUBJECT

Charlie here are some problems...

1) Lindell is in the 2nd year of a 5 year deal. We won't cut him.

2) TD has given Bledsoe an extention, we won't cut him.

3) TD hired a rookie HC. It will take him about 3 years to get his stevestojan together. He has a 5 year deal, Ralph won't pay to fire him.  Problem is, the D players will be mostly gone by the time MM Gets his act togther.

4) RW likes how TD has made him MONEY. TD is going no where. Giving MM a 5 year deal helped that.

TD is the slickest car salesman on the lot. He knows exactly what he is doing.

1) Making RW some jack.

2) keeps pieces in place to keep his job. MM is now an EXCUSE "Well he is a rookie HC..he needs time"  Well that and #1 buys teflon tom 3 more years.

3) in 2 years when the offense is putting up points with JP, LE and WM the D will be giving up 30 per game again. NOW TD can say 'Well we are close...just let me work on the D"  By then now Moulds has retired or moved on. Now we are going to start sagging on offense as TD puts money into the D. 

See this sombitch has found a way to cover his ass and has tons of excuses to do it. Want proof?  Look at this fuggin board. There are STILL people thinking we are really a GOOD team. This team SUCKS!  It needs damn near 4 new OL Men (Unless MW is a guard next year. Villarial is all we have)  We still can't rush the passer on D.  Posey is a waste of air. the CB position is manned by a career BACKUP. McGee is going to be one of the most solid KR men in the NFL. And a damn good nickel corner...THAT IS ALL.  Vincent will play safety for 2-3 years tops. So we STILL need a corner since Clements is getting burned or is out of position STILL After all of this time.  Still need OLB help in poseys position. 

sorry folks you are obviously too blinded to see this team needs serious help. not just one or two things, TONS of things.  Oh and can we please get ONE GOOD TE?  Not 50 alsorans?

This son of a B word had over a year to figure out how to run his scam. And he is doing a hell of a job of it. Too bad the good fans of Western NY And the rest of us have to pay.

121583[/snapback]

Isn't the cap figure for next year result in a 4.3 million payment if Bledsoe is cut and 6.5 million if he remains?

What is Lindell's salary, how much cap damage is it to cut him? We would have to keep a kicker because we paid him too much? A kicker??? Damn.

I don't mind Mularkey as head coach, but he needs to cut his teeth and make the decisions. If he's just a puppet, well this team will never move forward. If St. Donahoe is throwing down edicts from his Ivory Tower, then the malaise can just settle in for the foreseeable future.

Who is a member of the offensive line that should be kept for next year? Villarial, switch Williams around and get Marcus Price on the field.

This is going to be a long work in progress. I don't buy into the parity thing in the NFL where the Bills are concerned. This team has been stuck in molasses for many years. I don't know how they work their way out of the mess. I'm not sure the front office (TD) knows how to either.

Isn't the cap figure for next year result in a 4.3 million payment if Bledsoe is cut and 6.5 million if he remains? 

What is Lindell's salary, how much cap damage is it to cut him?  We would have to keep a kicker because we paid him too much?  A kicker???  Damn.

I don't mind Mularkey as head coach, but he needs to cut his teeth and make the decisions.  If he's just a puppet, well this team will never move forward.  If St. Donahoe is throwing down edicts from his Ivory Tower, then the malaise can just settle in for the foreseeable future.

Who is a member of the offensive line that should be kept for next year?  Villarial, switch Williams around and get Marcus Price on the field.

This is going to be a long work in progress.  I don't buy into the parity thing in the NFL where the Bills are concerned.  This team has been stuck in molasses for many years.  I don't know how they work their way out of the mess.  I'm not sure the front office (TD) knows how to either.

121625[/snapback]

Charlie here is what I would do...

Move MW to LG. Villarial stays at RG, Price to RT. go out and spend out the ASS for a DAMN GOOD LT. It ALL Starts and ends with your QB's blindside. I also sign a Center. TWO position moves and we are good on the OL. Franchise Jennings and use him and TH to help make those moves.

MM to me is nothing but a puppet. He has no balls. 'we have co starters at RB' Pure chicken stevestojan. I don't think you will ever see a strong coach under 'Car salesmen Tom' no way in hell.

That brings me to the next point.  Will we have a Defense by the time JP gets ready?  Milloy may have 2 more years. Vincent the same.  how long will Clements be here?  Sam Adams?  Fletcher and Spikes?  This is why I really want to see JP on the field ASAP!  If he is our franchise (And if you pick a QB in the first round you ARE saying he is your franchise) then you need to get him up to speed FAST.

121417[/snapback]

This is my worst fear as well. It's like Miami in the mid '90s - you knew that by the time they got a decent defense, Marino would be gone. Hell the Bills defense in the mid-late 90's was better than the SB teams'.

Ok all of the hypotheticals aside....We are honestly STUCK with what we see for at least the 2005 adn 2006 seasons.

We are stuck with the Rookie HC for at least that long. TD gave him a friggin 5 year deal. TO A FUGGIN ROOKIE HC!!!!

We are stuck with TD. I don't care what PFW or whatever 'whispers' say.  Ralph Wilson made this guy the most powerful man at OBD EVER Besides RW himself. No way he gets canned.  As I posted before, it is known that RW loves the way TD handles the money side of things.  TD isn't going anywhere.

Bledsoe? Got another extention.  We are going to be force fed him for awhile longer.  Listen to MM, he has NO intentions on starting JP any time soon. Now that may be RW, it may be TD I dont' know. I do know we are going to have to suffer through growing pains with the kid for awhile when he gets in there.  So hey, the longer it is put off, the longer we have to wait.

That brings me to the next point.  Will we have a Defense by the time JP gets ready?  Milloy may have 2 more years. Vincent the same.  how long will Clements be here?  Sam Adams?  Fletcher and Spikes?  This is why I really want to see JP on the field ASAP!  If he is our franchise (And if you pick a QB in the first round you ARE saying he is your franchise) then you need to get him up to speed FAST.

See That is what Caughlin is saying up in NYC.  He sees he just lost his top two DE's. Since then they are struggling.  so play Manning now, get ready to hit the ground running next year.  I can tell you this...If his Defense comes back healthy, and Manning is on track the Eagles had better watch out!  it will be playoffs minimum for the G Men. 

If we can start getting JP in there and get him at least 5 starts then that helps drastically OR it shows us we need a veteran to lead this team this offseason. As  most know I am against going out and handing this team over to another vet. But if JP doesnt look like he is going to develop that soon, then bring in a guy to WIN. Our D won't be here that much longer before we have to start replacing them. Now if JP looks like he is going to do well after his 5 or so games etc (*) then we are good to go.

Long story short, since TD has been here we as fans have suffered.  Some will say talent. Well every member of this team has been signed by TD. No excuses there.  Well it is coaching. Every member of the coaching staff has been hired by TD. No excuses there. We are still sitting here with a losing record which is something we have had every year with TD As GM sans 1 in which we went 8-8.  To me that isn't a mark of a good GM folks. Not when this entire team is of YOUR making.

The bad thing is...we are stuck with him.  I just don't see a change so we are stuck.

(*) Meaning we see him start to develop and be on the upswing going into the offseason.

121417[/snapback]

Actually....no I dont agree with that.....because I STILL feel that there is to too much talent on this team.......

I cannot help but feel that the reason why this passing game is not working is simply because Drew is not making his reads quickly enough......and then when the pressure does get there he basically goes into a shell....

I still feel that this offense is going to be MUCH better once JP Losman gets halfway comfortable.....we are going to have to tolerate the occasional pick while he is getting experience....but I also think that our scoring will be way up....Losman will buy time with his feet....and guys like Lee Evans and Tim Euhus are suddenly going to become part of the offense........

The worm is going to turn

What would you have said if you were a Charger fan last year? Come on..

----------

great point. if there is any undeniable truth about the current NFL, it's that with the cap and ensuing parity, teams can turn things around quickly. there's no guarantee, but it's possible.

Ok all of the hypotheticals aside....We are honestly STUCK with what we see for at least the 2005 adn 2006 seasons.

We are stuck with the Rookie HC for at least that long. TD gave him a friggin 5 year deal. TO A FUGGIN ROOKIE HC!!!!

We are stuck with TD. I don't care what PFW or whatever 'whispers' say.  Ralph Wilson made this guy the most powerful man at OBD EVER Besides RW himself. No way he gets canned.  As I posted before, it is known that RW loves the way TD handles the money side of things.  TD isn't going anywhere.

Bledsoe? Got another extention.  We are going to be force fed him for awhile longer.  Listen to MM, he has NO intentions on starting JP any time soon. Now that may be RW, it may be TD I dont' know. I do know we are going to have to suffer through growing pains with the kid for awhile when he gets in there.  So hey, the longer it is put off, the longer we have to wait.

See That is what Caughlin is saying up in NYC.  He sees he just lost his top two DE's. Since then they are struggling.  so play Manning now, get ready to hit the ground running next year.  I can tell you this...If his Defense comes back healthy, and Manning is on track the Eagles had better watch out!  it will be playoffs minimum for the G Men. 

If we can start getting JP in there and get him at least 5 starts then that helps drastically OR it shows us we need a veteran to lead this team this offseason. As  most know I am against going out and handing this team over to another vet. But if JP doesnt look like he is going to develop that soon, then bring in a guy to WIN. Our D won't be here that much longer before we have to start replacing them. Now if JP looks like he is going to do well after his 5 or so games etc (*) then we are good to go.

Long story short, since TD has been here we as fans have suffered.  Some will say talent. Well every member of this team has been signed by TD. No excuses there.  Well it is coaching. Every member of the coaching staff has been hired by TD. No excuses there. We are still sitting here with a losing record which is something we have had every year with TD As GM sans 1 in which we went 8-8.  To me that isn't a mark of a good GM folks. Not when this entire team is of YOUR making.

The bad thing is...we are stuck with him.  I just don't see a change so we are stuck.

(*) Meaning we see him start to develop and be on the upswing going into the offseason.

121417[/snapback]

You have good points Ice. If we lose this week to the Rams and have another bad performance on offense, will we actually pull the plug and put in JP? I think realistically you're going to have to make that move.

I cannot help but feel that the reason why this passing game is not working is simply because Drew is not making his reads quickly enough......and then when the pressure does get there he basically goes into a shell....

I still feel that this offense is going to be MUCH better once JP Losman gets halfway comfortable.....we are going to have to tolerate the occasional pick while he is getting experience....but I also think that our scoring will be way up....Losman will buy time with his feet....and guys like Lee Evans and Tim Euhus are suddenly going to become part of the offense........

The worm is going to turn

121842[/snapback]

I think you're right John...

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that this was a Head Coach coming in that tried to convince us that he, and his fellow experts could "fix" Bledsoe...

So far they have fixed him to the tune of barely a 70 QB Rating, more INT's than TD's, and only 55% of his Passes completed...Makes you wonder, if they were that far off in assuming they could fix Bledsoe, what else are they far off about...

I do agree that Willis, Evans, Euhus, JP, and Moulds make this Offense easier to turn around...But I'm starting to wonder if we truly have the right Staff to administer that turn around if only for the fact that they seem to be as stubborn as TD has been in proving Bledsoe can still play...I mean, are they really, truly convinced of that? If so, everything is up in the air in my mind... B)

This is the modern age of free agency in the NFL.

The Bills could be in the Super Bowl by next year.

121454[/snapback]

I'll bite as well.

There are of course a number of things which have to happen at the same time for any team to even win, much less make the SB. This is part of the reason why the over-focus on one player and one position is simply not good pro football thinking even if that one position is the QB,

1. It all comes down to the players making plays and it ends up there, but it actually starts elsewhere and this is why the HC is so important. HCs get too much credit for winning because ultimately it is about the players and their performance as a team and they get too much blame (usually but there is Rich Kotite) for losing as well because really all you can ask an HC to do is to put his players in the best position for them to make plays and they have to do it.

However, one thing we saw this past weekend was how important an HC and the braintrust can be in supporting an "US first" instead of a me first approach to the game which is a key to making the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts and how attention and control of details can put players into good positions for them to make plays.

To my mind, MM has failed in doing this so far this season and that is a big part of our losing. However, this is one of the things which rookie HCs do aand I see some positive signs of hope in his efforts which may translate into future success.. The things I like are:

A. The braintrust really has been creative and effectively so in some cases of trying things which are a bit different and making them work- The red-zone issue is a good example. Our production simply sucked early in the season. The braintrust made a personnel switch of using DL players on the OL. This move makes little sense in terms of Xs and Os as these players are far from schooled in offensive football and it grossly limited the playbook as they had limited time to learn plays. Yet, suddenly they got effective in the red zone

BB confirmed this is a workable approach with huge benefits when your players are injured and for fostering a sense that the players are teammates on a football team first and foremost. It was nice to see thatMM invested in this same approach even before BB really showed how great a tool it is.

B. Hard work pays off- The ascension of Jason Peters is not just simply a great personal story but good news for the team. Soft hands for a TE got our attentionand won him a spot on the PS. Hard work on the PS at exactly the problematic area of his game (pass blocking) have won him a roster spot as a tackle.

C. Rigid loyalty to the team seems to be the way things are going- MM sounds dumb simply reading the party line, but when you are in trouble being able to count fairly exactly on what your teammates are going to say is important and good for the team. Rigid loyalty to Bledsoe is stupid as he is clearly done. However, the season is also done in terms of making the playoffs (its all over but the mathematics) and I think the team is better off in the big picture showing even stupid loyalty to one of its own,

D. I do like some of the ideas used- I think it comes down to run the ball and stop the run and the braintrust has been committed to both those areas in terms of drafting WM when it looked like we didn't need him to signing Adams who many said was simply a fat tub of goo (I agreed with this assessment though I argued the Adams signing was an upgrade for us to a fat tub of goo from a skinny tub of goo). In terms of the other important specifics, the outside the box upgade in redzone performance, some initial success with using an alarm clock to get Bledsoe to throw the damn ball and past success by MM/TC in rehabbing Kordelioa and Maddox do bode well.

E, An emphasis on ST and an effect are there- 3 TDs on FR and PR in 9 games is darn impressive. We also seem to rarely give up big returns though our directional kickoffs are vexing and broingto watch. Moorman was an excellent find and an excellent extension and ST overall is a great sign.

2. I think the football braintrust seems pretty committed and pretty good at putting players in a position to perform. In addition to some bad calls and bounces that happen to all, I think we have had shortcomings in two areas:

A. The players do need to execute and perform- I know this is a cliche and actually is a meaningless defense if you coach like GW and do not put your players in good positions to perform. However, I think the current braintrust does that so it is real in that our players simply need to step it up a notch. Too many paases which should have been caught have been dropped. Penalties like the false start o MW earlier this season which left us with a second and long and goal are on the players. It has been accompanied by someflawed coaching performances like the clock mismanagement at the end of the first half of the Jets game, but plas happen when playmakers such as McGee on kickoffs or Milloy upon his return simply make plays.

B. The GM and braintrust have invested in some bad personnel decisions. Here the QB decision glare out as though I thought the trade for Bledsoe was a smart move which ended up as a wash after he had a deserved Pro Bowl first season and a simply awful second season, resigning him was a mistake. It was made worse by us never getting a credible back-up (Brown was not it)so we are now screwed (as ICE so delicately puts it). In terms of personnel changes, I think we have th cap room to try to make the following changes which might make us competitive next year.

QB- Cut Bledsoe as a cap casualty after June 2005. Have Losman start when he is ready and not a moment sooner or a moment later. Look for a plan B if Losman develops slowly or not at all. I will need to scan the wire as to who is actually available, but our failure to get a plan B at QB IF Bledsoe failed has come home to roost, Kordelia has inadequacies that you would never count on him as a starter, but he is better than what we got (which is nothing except a wounded Losman and Matthews), He could have been gotten for not too much $. Volek also has his issues and we are seeing his failings in relief of McNair, but he also could have been gotten apparently for only a little more money. ICE may be down on us getting a vet as our plan A. I am too, but that should not stop us from getting a vet as our Plan B.

RB- If Travis is going to deal with being a back-up as well as he has, I'd keep him and reward him with cash for playing the necesary Kenny Davis role. I doubt however, he can be made positive for long and he will want big FA bucks so trading him is fine. However, I'm more interested in a back-up RB who cabn answer the call if WM goes down than I am in replacing our #1 draft pick. Folks sing Shelton's praises but I am unimpressed so far. A Sam Gash (when he was younger) is what we need. If Shelton can step up fine, if not look on the waiver wire as the Gash's and Centers sometimes appear there when they still have something left.

WR- Develop the players we got. However, I suspect next year may be Moulds last as a Bill unless some contractual change occurs to make his final cap hits more palatable. Evans needs to be developed to replace Moulds. Josh Reed either needs to meet or build upon his freshman year or be gone. Aiken finally showed promise but still drops too many. Freddy Smith showed that he is a keeper because he scored some points. This makes Hadda redundant and superfluous.

TE- It is not wrong to aspire to find the next Ben Coates, The Bills are not there yet. Euhus does show some promise however. Peters is perhaps the most interesting prospect here if he got on the roster because he has leatned how to be an effective blocker.

OL- It would have been wrong to expect JMac to be a miracle worker, particularly coming into the inheritance of players he got (particularly with MW's professionalism going south)). However, next year our hope for miracles in his second year is still outlandish but at least its reasonably outlandish. I suspect our line-up is: C- Teague has performed better and shows he has the intellect for the job. He could diagnose plays, is finally learning how to make shotgun snaps, and has always use athleticism to be an underweight blocker. However, he could not do all these things at the same time and the biggest improvement I see in his game is the ability to multi-task. I think you can build around him.

RG- Villareal is about at the same level as Ruben Brown, except Ruben was better because as a longtime Bill he coul lead and teach in ways Villareal could not. However, Villareal is now a Bill and I feel good about him at RG.

LG- Tucker really impressed me as a back-up center pressed into service by Teague's injury and the idea of making him the fulltime LG has some merit as we look to fill the Ruben hole. However, we need a serious back-up C and interior lineman and I do not feel bad at all about Tucker taking this duty if Lawrence Smith continues what has been an insane level of development by him. It would be asking a lot for him to merely become a real player for the Bills as a back-up as a UDFA off the Ravens PS. the idea of him stepping up to become our starter was insane. Thus I am not disappointed at all in that he is not starter material yet. if he grows over the off-season make him the starting LG. If not train him to be the R and L Guard back-up.

LT- Do not pay Jennnings big bucks. His history of injury is simply too dicey. LT is either my FA target (and everyone elses) or make Tucker the starting C and move Teague where he played for Denver and wanted to go anywya, or (possible but unlikely) if MW learns to be a professional as he seems to have learned it to LMac satisfaction then possibly if necessary consider the planned move to LT.

RT- I leave MW here unless we need him at LT in which case RT becomes an FA need or back-up tackle if we want to move Price to starter.

Back-up tackles- I like Price covering us at these two positions. Activating Peters as a tackle is also interesting.

Nack-up guards- I like the idea of Tucker stepping into a startting slot and if this happens then train Smith the back-up both roles.

Back-up center- Tucker filled inwell for Teague, if he is the starting guard, if becomes important to train a back-up center though if Teague goes down moving Tucker over and Smith in at LG works. Maybe Sobieski finally pays off as a back-up C option.

DEFENSE-

DL- PWs FA status creates a wildcard on the DL, but Edwards showing a bit more (finally) gives us options here, I am still uncomfortable with Edwards in more than the spot role he has played pretty well this year so unless PW will sign for cheap I hope Anderson leap frogs Edwards. Sam Adams is a keeper so keep him signed. Schobel is a bit of a rag doll as seen this weekend on the run stop but he is our best rusher. Kelsay seems to be improving but unless he surpasses Schobel as a rush threat then we need to look seriously on the wire for a Jim Jeffcoat type of designated pass rusher as I don;t think we can afford the Jerome Kearse type outlay a quality DE would command. Denny is no more than a reasonable back-up so good to see we are still looking for the Ogunde type prospects.

LB- Thia has been the best corps on the defense but Spikes/Fletcher really outshine Posey. Posey has been better this year, but apparently will never be the dominant force he showed flashes and we had hopes he would become. He is clearly vulnerable to be surpassed by a better player, but we have more pressing needs than to worry about this OLB position, The back-ups like Stamer, Crowell and Haggan have all shown good ST ability but do leaving me hoping none of the frontliners get hurt.

DB- Clements has become enough of a kockdown corner that opponents look to go the other way. McGee is great on ST, but really needs to get older and learn the CB game. Vincent is still a quality CB, but we have such a crying need at FS this is likely where he should be. Milloy is expensive but really one of the great pick-ups by the TD regime. Thomas makes us pretty deep at CB and Greer had held his own, Safety is an issue as Wire, Reese, Prioleau and Baker have shown they are back ups at best and some would say less than that in Reese's case.

At any rate this is a top10 D in this league or even a little better than that. In order to become truly imposing it is the pass rush which must be improved. There is a slight chance that Kelsay will develo into the difference0maker we needs, but I think our most likely and cost effective move will be to pick-up a desinated pass rusher to improve this part of our game.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punting- Moorman nuff said.

Kicking- One of the great TD mistakes was cutting Christie and then saying good kickers were a djme a dozen in the NFL. The cadillac is to get a Vanderjagt or a Vinateri and no onee mistakes Lindell for that even on his best days. Not bas this year inside 35 but we can't use him on distances linger than 40 so we should be lookimg. The return D looks good.

KR- McGee looks like one of the best in the league.

PR- Clements was a good returner but if Fast Freddy is going to return like he did on Sunday than sit the CB down.

I don't think this team is that far away from competing for the playoffs.

God that was a long post..........

The OLine is not as bad as everyone thinks. Bedsore makes it much worse that it is. A different QB (JP) with some mobility and pocket prescence would really make them look good. Bedsore just can't do it. When he gets the time he throws in the dirt or a pick.

We gotta ride this out with this team with one small change........Bedsore OUT,

JP in.