#1 pick QB and a stud O-line

Got_Wood

See the Cleveland Browns. This team appears to have put together the pieces to theoretically create a high powered NFL offense. 1st round picks in Brady Quinn, Joe Thomas, and Alex Mack, plus a big investment in Eric Steinbach. They had Braylon Edwards and couldn't do much with him. Jamal Lewis is a serviceable RB, along with young guys Davis and Harrison. So what's the problem? Why are they terrible?

The Cleveland Browns have bad management, which has resulted in bad coaches. Randy Lerner was handed the Cleveland franchise when his father passed, and has taken his ownership for granted ever since. He has always had more interest in English Football. Lerner may end up saving the Browns if he shifts his focus to his NFL team instead. It seems that he has finally taken their losing personally and is looking to find a top of the line GM, and start that franchise over. That remains to be seen. But the Browns failure is no mistake. Their awful state is the result of neglect and mismanagement. It trickles down from the top folks.

A 1st round pick QB would be great for this team, and so would some additions to the O-line. But only if these new players are brought in by a carefully assembled new front office, that gets to assemble their own coaching staff and strategy. I can only hope that we're lucky enough to have Ralph give the fans one last gift to the fans, and bring in a top quality GM.

I'll add that they have a nearly identical offensive coaching scenario to the Bills. Mangini spent most of his career as a defensive coach, specifically as a defensive backs coach. And their offensive coordinator Daboll is in his first season as offensive coordinator, and doesn't have the experience necessary to be in his position. He has 4 years experience as a WR coach, and 1 year experience as a QB coach. Prior to that he was actually a defensive assistant.

That is eerily similar to the Bills mess. How can NFL teams that make millions and millions of dollars, be this poorly managed??? Unbelievable.

If the Bills had Big Ben or another good QB, they are at worst 5-4 and in the middle of the playoff hunt. There is not a doubt in my mind. The dfense has it's issues but we have been in a lot of games only to be let down by our pathetic offense.

While it's true that if the Bills had an Elite QB there record might be better the fact is they would be a middle of the pack team. "Got Wood" is right. This mess is bigger than one player. It's starts from the top and it is triggling down the whole organization. The Bills are past bandages and antibiotics. They need an operation. Ten years of missing playoffs has some of us talking about "playoff hunt". The NFL is a multibillion dollar entity and ultimate goal for it's participants is to win championships. Being in the playoff hunt should be the minimum, a consolation prize, certainly not a hope for us to hold on to.

If the Bills had Big Ben or another good QB, they are at worst 5-4 and in the middle of the playoff hunt. There is not a doubt in my mind. The dfense has it's issues but we have been in a lot of games only to be let down by our pathetic offense.

I agree with iluk92. My opinion is that the Bills would have a little better record, but in no position to contend in the playoffs. They would still be disorganized, and lack any kind of identity. Basically they would have another superstar pissed off like TO is right now, that he made a stupid decision to sign with a bad franchise. We need a new leader of this organization off the field to get better on the field.

See the Cleveland Browns. This team appears to have put together the pieces to theoretically create a high powered NFL offense. 1st round picks in Brady Quinn, Joe Thomas, and Alex Mack, plus a big investment in Eric Steinbach. They had Braylon Edwards and couldn't do much with him. Jamal Lewis is a serviceable RB, along with young guys Davis and Harrison. So what's the problem? Why are they terrible?

High Powerwed Offense? are you kidding me

Jamal Lewis is and has been done and certainly isnt serviceable anymore

Braylon Edwards has had one good season in the NFL, ONE....so lets not make him out to be more then he is because he certainly isnt a top WR in the league

Brady Quinn has had how many starts in the NFL? how many times have they switched QBs the past two years

I agree the Browns have had horrible mgt and coaching but they are no where near built to have a high powered offense and are a horrible example to go by

The Cleveland Browns have bad management, which has resulted in bad coaches. Randy Lerner was handed the Cleveland franchise when his father passed, and has taken his ownership for granted ever since. He has always had more interest in English Football. Lerner may end up saving the Browns if he shifts his focus to his NFL team instead. It seems that he has finally taken their losing personally and is looking to find a top of the line GM, and start that franchise over. That remains to be seen. But the Browns failure is no mistake. Their awful state is the result of neglect and mismanagement. It trickles down from the top folks.

A 1st round pick QB would be great for this team, and so would some additions to the O-line. But only if these new players are brought in by a carefully assembled new front office, that gets to assemble their own coaching staff and strategy. I can only hope that we're lucky enough to have Ralph give the fans one last gift to the fans, and bring in a top quality GM.

There is a reason the Quinn dropped so far down in the draft, I remember actually feeling sorry for him as team after team passed him up...

Yeah if you find Dan Marino. We do not even have the won the SB in the last ten years defense that the Ravens have to augment their rookie QB. A first round QB pick is almost certainly the recipe for a Joey Harrington experience (which is a worse version of the Mike Williams experience we just suffered through). Methinks a first round QB choice is more likely the JP Losman experience rather than the Ben RoboQB episode. We simply do not have enough quality leadership at other positions and the strength in the trenches to make a 1st round QB choice payoff as an approach to team building.

High Powerwed Offense? are you kidding me

Jamal Lewis is and has been done and certainly isnt serviceable anymore

Braylon Edwards has had one good season in the NFL, ONE....so lets not make him out to be more then he is because he certainly isnt a top WR in the league

Brady Quinn has had how many starts in the NFL? how many times have they switched QBs the past two years

I agree the Browns have had horrible mgt and coaching but they are no where near built to have a high powered offense and are a horrible example to go by

You missed the point. I said they have "theoretically" followed a diagram that might bring you a high powered offense. But they have no guidance, no system, and no discipline from the front office down to the coaching staff. It's as bad of a train wreck as the Bills organization. They may have a leg up on us though since their billionaire owner has now supposedly started taking this personally. He may actually start to care a little bit about the Browns instead of his big time Euro Football franchise. We're stuck in purgatory.

But they have no guidance, no system, and no discipline from the front office down to the coaching staff.

This is a great point and in IMO, the most critical factor to success. Many call it continuity but I think it boils down to developing and sticking to a system and philosophy that breeds excellence at all levels of the organization, from the front office, free agency, drafting, to the sidelines, to performance on the field defined by winning.

Teams like the Steelers, Eagles, Colts, and the system Parcells brought to several places, most recently to Miami are examples of high performance systems. The Bills management system, by all measures except fan interest and filling the stadium, is a complete failure this decade.

The front office, pro scouting, drafting (this year's class looks good except our #1 to this point), head coach, offensive and defensive approaches, are all incapable of producing the results needed to win in the NFL as demonstrated by 10 years of futility. We don’t need any more evidence to see a change from the top on down is needed.

One possible solution is easy. Look at what others do that are successful and then try to emulate them. Bring in people that have a demonstrated record of success and be willing to pay for it in time, effort, and money. Please, no more on the job 'B list' trainee's.