Did anyone watch the press conferences and post game interviews?

taterhill

Heh, heh. Some solid answers already, I see. :(

Re: the declined penalty, from Mark Gaughan:

Jauron second-guessed himself for one fourth-quarter decision — declining a 10-yard holding penalty that would have given the Titans a third-and-16 situation from the Buffalo 39. The score was 24-17 with 3:23 left. The Bills instead let the Titans try a 51-yard field goal, which Rob Bironas nailed to make it a 10-point margin.

"It was right at the edge of his range, and I wanted the ball back," Jauron said. "We hadn't been real successful [defending] in long-yardage situations. I thought they had a good chance of getting 10 [yards] anyway on a [third] down play. But it turns out I should have taken that penalty."

Six for his last seven from 50+, Coach.

TitansOnline postgame quote sheet

(And I'd like to add, kudos to the Titans for making both teams' postgame transcripts available not just to the media, but also on their public Web site. Nice touch.)

Jauron has consistently underestimated the ability of his opponents to make field goals. There's the Dallas game on Monday night a few years ago, where we purposely avoided defending the quick out, even though Dallas had no time outs left, because Jauron didn't think they'd hit a 50+ yard field goal (wound up being 53). There's the Cleveland game from this year, where instead of letting Jamal Lewis score and having about 1:30 to score a TD to tie, Jauron kept trying to stuff Lewis, because he had some crazy notion that the Browns would mess up the snap, or that the Bills would block the kick. And then you've got this, where Jauron somehow thinks that 51 yards is "the edge" of Bironas' range, even though he's 8 of 13 from 50+ for his career, and 6 for his last 7. And a 10 second google search tells me that Bironas has hit at least one 60-yarder and at least one 56-yarder in his career, so 51 hardly seems to be the edge of his range.

I don't know if Jauron doesn't look at the actual percentages before games, or if he just talks himself into ignoring them on game day, or what, but it's very frustrating when your team's game plan comes down to hoping the other guys miss, instead of trying to do something positive to prevent the kick in the first place.

And all of the Jauron-logic in the first paragraph is paraphrased from his own post-game press conferences, by the way.