Damn Fake Viruses

3rdnlng

I don't pretend to be a computer giant. I tend to be task specific. I'm getting a constant pop-up that freezes me up from "Security Tool" that says I'm infected or I have viruses that are trying to steal my credit card specifics. I've right clicked and deleted the program but it keeps coming back. Any advice?

I don't pretend to be a computer giant. I tend to be task specific. I'm getting a constant pop-up that freezes me up from "Security Tool" that says I'm infected or I have viruses that are trying to steal my credit card specifics. I've right clicked and deleted the program but it keeps coming back. Any advice?

If you're running Windows, you can try a System Restore to a point before you were infected. If not, the removal process is usually specific to what you have and can also be tricky sometimes. If this is the case, you need to figure out what you're infected with and google for removal steps.

If you're running Windows, you can try a System Restore to a point before you were infected. If not, the removal process is usually specific to what you have and can also be tricky sometimes. If this is the case, you need to figure out what you're infected with and google for removal steps.

Thanks. How do I do system restore. I've done it before but it was many beers ago!

Are you running a free version of "spybot"

if not, do it

You gave him real advice, and didn't tell him to fdisk? What the hell kind of computer professional are you? :thumbsup:

fdisk? Sounds kinky. Running Spybot right now. Thanks for everybodys help. And, Gene Frenkle, I think we are on the opposing sides politically, but your help was appreciated. I think there is hope for you yet!

fdisk? Sounds kinky. Running Spybot right now. Thanks for everybodys help. And, Gene Frenkle, I think we are on the opposing sides politically, but your help was appreciated. I think there is hope for you yet!

Fdisk wipes the drive. It'll get rid of a virus though.

And if there's one thing I can say about Gene, it's that he's...well...here. :thumbsup:

Fdisk wipes the drive. It'll get rid of a virus though.

And if there's one thing I can say about Gene, it's that he's...well...here. :thumbsup:

Virus didn't go away. I'll try something else, but I don't want to wipe the drive. Great Indy win though.

Virus didn't go away. I'll try something else, but I don't want to wipe the drive. Great Indy win though.

Partner its not a virus ... if your running spybot it should have given you a list of all third party software apps running from the initial 3rd party install

If you need you go to the TOOLS TAB and over to the SYSTEM STARTUP it will show what is still in the command line that shouldn't be there

--

OR you haven't fully uninstalled the original program

--

If your confused follow what Gene said ... pick a date that proceeds the software installation

Partner its not a virus ... if your running spybot it should have given you a list of all third party software apps running from the initial 3rd party install

If you need you go to the TOOLS TAB and over to the SYSTEM STARTUP it will show what is still in the command line that shouldn't be there

--

OR you haven't fully uninstalled the original program

--

If your confused follow what Gene said ... pick a date that proceeds the software installation

Thanks. Still working on this.