Bledsoe: An NFL Never-Was

Rico

I agree with the original poster. Look at the guy's record, and his playoff record in particular.

1993 they were 3-13. They were a bad team and he was a rookie, so give him a break.

1994 they played Cleveland in the 1st round and lost to.....Bill Bellichek. Lost 13-3. Zero offensive production despite Parcells helping him.

1995 they finish 6-10. Decent year, bad defense. Again we'll give him a break.

1996 - his most glorious season. His best postseason performance in a 28-3 rout over Pittsburgh. Even then, he threw for less than 200 as Curtis Martin did most of the work. Title game vs. Jacksonville they're clinging to a 13-6 lead in the 4th Qtr until a defensive TD ices the game for NE. 20-6 win. SB vs. GB he sets the record for int's.

1997 they beat Miami in a defensive struggle thanks again to a defensive TD. 2nd round they lose to Pittsburgh 7-6. Zero offensive TD's on the road. Sound familiar?

1998 the refs give them a playoff spot and they lose to Jacksonville in the 1st round.

1999 and 2000 - Horrible seasons.

You know what happened in 2001.

At any point in his NE career, did you ever go into a Bills-Pats game thinking: "Man, I don't know if we can stop this guy"? I honestly never did.

3000 fans welcomed him w/ open arms because the Midget/RJ fiasco had torn apart the city.

Dan Fouts? You've got to be kidding me. What an insult to Fouts. If he had half the supporting cast of Curtis Martin and Parcells&Bellichek coached defenses, he'd have done more than make it to 1 SB and lose. His performance at Miami in the "Winslow game" alone dwarfs anything Drew has ever done in a big game.

My sense is that the lead factor in determing whether Bledsoe makes the HOF is who is competing against him at the time. Particularly since i think there were may far more noteworthy QBs he will likely be competing with to get in, he will have to wait. However, the longer he plays the more the Kelly's and Elways will be retired long enough that the other QBs folks will have to choose from will be the Brett Favres (Bledsoe must wait) but if its the Trent Dilfers (won the SB but theD carried him) and Vinny Testaverdes (longevity bt never won the SB) Bledsoe is in.

The HOF is being used here as a measure of greatness, but in the end like the rest of this form of entertainment it is a popularity contest.

My sense of judging Bledsoe's chances of actually making the HOF there are three factors (among many important factors) of import-

1. Stats and play- a player must have played at a level where he gained fame from his achievements. Bledsoe's stats actualy are mediocre in a lot of areas, but he had enough outstanding seasons (even if they are fewer than we would like) and he has a long enough carrer to move up the cumulative stat list that I think his faults will not be a problem and Drew advocates can pick out the best things (his banner years and cumulative stas even if averages suck) to make the case for him.

2. Winning or making the big one- This will be one of the big half empty/half full Bledsoe debates as most QBs never even lead a team to the SB (which he did) orare part of a winning SB team (which he was). However, there are legit half empty arguments that it really took the presence of one of the best HCs ever to force him to the SB, and that his injury was a critical part of his team being able to win one (though he did play QB in the majority of a must-win game for the Pats so owning an SB win ring is legit for him.

3. Popularity- This factor can come from a lot of areas, despite the fact no one would mistake him for a brain surgeon and actions like his restaurant in Buffalo going bankrupt left many local middle class folks high and dry finanancially, there was no better gamer than Jim Kelly who lost the SB and came back for more. he is truly a notable player. Bledsoe on the other hand also has that gamer/teamer persona which makes him a popular person and particularly after the hatred many Bills and Pats fans have for his losing ways fades with his retirement this will serve him well.

My guess is that if he retures the same year as Favre he waits, but a year later or a year sooner he may end up going in on the first ballot.

Does Bledsoe have a superbowl ring? Has Bledsoe been voted to the pro-bowl? He's going into the hall of fame, maybe not the first year but he'll get in. Look at Emmett Smith and Jerry Rice... I doubt if they will be judged by what they did at the end of their careers. All three stayed past their prime but will be remembered for what they did in their prime.

Coach... to use one of your favorites...

"you're kidding, right"?

Now, Bledsoe, HOF, mentioned in the same breath?? Well, if Bledsoe makes it into the HOF, then why shouldn't Jeff George???? George has a better career rating by at least 4 points. and if Jeff George makes it in there, then the HOF needs to be renamed the HOS.

119719[/snapback]

...is this a serious arguement? If you wan to point out dumb facts how about Drew has one more Superbowl ring than the mighty Jim Kelly and Dan Marino combined. Once again the guy is on the downside of a solid career. To try and knock his accomplishments is just plain dumb.

...is this a serious arguement? If you wan to point out dumb facts how about Drew has one more Superbowl ring than the mighty Jim Kelly and Dan Marino combined. Once again the guy is on the downside of a solid career. To try and knock his accomplishments is just plain dumb.

He has more AFC Championship rings than Marino as well...

CW

I like how the guy who wrote the 'bit' calls Manning a "fraud".

I wonder if he still feels that way (the article or blog or whatever it was, had been posted here a while ago, before Manning had all of those 5 TD games...) ?

At any rate, Bledsoe's numbers basically tell me he is the second best QB, NE ever had.

He was decent in his prime. He is no longer in his prime.