3M window insulation

Fezmid

I live in a relatively new house - built 7 years ago. I'm always looking for ways to save money (like setting the thermostat to 59F when we're not home :wallbash: ), and a coworker mentioned the 3M insulation for windows. I remember my parents used to always put plastic up over the windows as well, but I wonder if it really makes that much of a difference.

I'm thinking about buying this as a test:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2144W-Indoor-Pati...4726&sr=8-3

Just wondering if anyone here uses this in cold climates, and whether it actually does help with anything. I feel cold coming from the windows/doors, but I'm not sure if it's just radiating cold or if there are actually holes/drafts that are coming through - probably a combination. Does the stuff actually help with the radiating cold? I'm assuming it's just for drafts. Just wondering how helpful it really is and whether I'd make my money back. :rolleyes:

59f? Pfft....I go 56! :rolleyes:

My house was built in 91 and has the orginal windows, not top of the line by any means. I put plastic in the bedrooms and bathrooms (keep it off the kitchen in case we need to air out and the living room for the rare warm day.) Our windows aren't overly drafty, but I don't notice them when the plastic is up. I don't find it makes a difference with the radiating cold. Do I make my money back? No clue, but those 10 degree windy nights without a draft is worth it for me.

I live in a relatively new house - built 7 years ago. I'm always looking for ways to save money (like setting the thermostat to 59F when we're not home :wallbash: ), and a coworker mentioned the 3M insulation for windows. I remember my parents used to always put plastic up over the windows as well, but I wonder if it really makes that much of a difference.

I'm thinking about buying this as a test:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2144W-Indoor-Pati...4726&sr=8-3

Just wondering if anyone here uses this in cold climates, and whether it actually does help with anything. I feel cold coming from the windows/doors, but I'm not sure if it's just radiating cold or if there are actually holes/drafts that are coming through - probably a combination. Does the stuff actually help with the radiating cold? I'm assuming it's just for drafts. Just wondering how helpful it really is and whether I'd make my money back. :rolleyes:

When I lived in Minneapolis, I used to slap up the plastic my the room to cut the draft during the winter. I was pleased with the results though it was still too f'in cold.

Just wondering if anyone here uses this in cold climates, and whether it actually does help with anything. I feel cold coming from the windows/doors, but I'm not sure if it's just radiating cold or if there are actually holes/drafts that are coming through - probably a combination. Does the stuff actually help with the radiating cold? I'm assuming it's just for drafts. Just wondering how helpful it really is and whether I'd make my money back. :)

:blink:

Heat & dollars are escaping. /Bernoulli'd

I don't know about the 3M stuff (moved to NC from FL). It can't hurt, plus it should help your neighbors since 3M stands for Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing. Good company, good stock.

:wallbash:

That's all I got for ya. :rolleyes:

Depends on your windows. My old place had very drafty windows and the plastic worked like a charm.

Also, replace the weather strip on the bottom of your front and back door -- huge source of heat loss. And get those bean bag snakes for internal doors that allow drafts from cold areas of the house to warm areas where you spend more time.

I live in a relatively new house - built 7 years ago. I'm always looking for ways to save money (like setting the thermostat to 59F when we're not home :rolleyes: ), and a coworker mentioned the 3M insulation for windows. I remember my parents used to always put plastic up over the windows as well, but I wonder if it really makes that much of a difference.

If you use it, be advised that removal can be a problem. The double-sided tape like to stick to the paint. Be sure to start removal carefully, hoping that the tape adheres to the plastic.

I've found the films to be fairly effective. Follow the package instructions explicitly.

my bro in law keeps his on year round in Buffalo in an 80 year old house

doesn't do much in the winter and the house is friggen unbearable in the summer- no ac so u just roast there

idiot :censored:

i don't see why they would be needed in a new house unless the windows are single paned

my bro in law keeps his on year round in Buffalo in an 80 year old house

doesn't do much in the winter and the house is friggen unbearable in the summer- no ac so u just roast there

idiot :thumbsup:

i don't see why they would be needed in a new house unless the windows are single paned

And the curb appeal? :censored: