2007:

Trent Edwards - games started: 9

JP Losman - games started: 7

2008:

Trent Edwards - games started: 14

JP Losman - games started: 2

2009:

Trent Edwards - games started: 6

Ryan Fitzpatrick - games started: 1 (soon to be)

There is something very wrong with that picture. In all the years Jauron has coached, he has had a starting QB play through a whole season as starter only ONCE. And that is probably because of an executive order by Ralph in his first year coaching here.

I'm thinking a couple things about this pattern. First, I don't think he knows how to develop a QB. You can't possibly flip flop through QB's like that and not be doing something wrong. Second, I think he is very indecisive. He's indecisive on and off the field.

The argument here would be that he couldn't have prevented the injuries to Losman and Edwards. And he didn't draft these guys. I'm not buying that these are his excuses 100%. There is something very wrong with this background as a coach. And whether it's bad decisions or just plain bad luck, I would really like to move on from this nightmare.

Here is a look at starting QB's in each year of Dick Jauron as head coach:

1999:

Shane Matthews - games started: 7

Cade McNown - games started: 6

Jim Miller - games started: 3

2000:

Shane Matthews - games started: 5

Cade McNown - games started: 9

Jim Miller - games started: 2

2001:

Jim Miller - games started: 13

Shane Matthews - games started: 3

2002:

Jim Miller - games started: 8

Chris Chandler - games started: 7

Henry Burris - games started: 1

2003:

Kordell Stewart - games started: 7

Chris Chandler - games started: 6

Rex Grossman - games started: 3

2005:

Joey Harrington - games started: 11

Jeff Garcia - games started: 5

2006:

JP Losman - games started: 16

2007:

Trent Edwards - games started: 9

JP Losman - games started: 7

2008:

Trent Edwards - games started: 14

JP Losman - games started: 2

2009:

Trent Edwards - games started: 6

Ryan Fitzpatrick - games started: 1 (soon to be)

There is something very wrong with that picture. In all the years Jauron has coached, he has had a starting QB play through a whole season as starter only ONCE. And that is probably because of an executive order by Ralph in his first year coaching here.

I'm thinking a couple things about this pattern. First, I don't think he knows how to develop a QB. You can't possibly flip flop through QB's like that and not be doing something wrong. Second, I think he is very indecisive. He's indecisive on and off the field.

The argument here would be that he couldn't have prevented the injuries to Losman and Edwards. And he didn't draft these guys. I'm not buying that these are his excuses 100%. There is something very wrong with this background as a coach. And whether it's bad decisions or just plain bad luck, I would really like to move on from this nightmare.

He was not coaching the Lions for most of 2005. The only pattern I see is a bunch of terrible QBs. Jim Miller was probably the best.

He was not coaching the Lions for most of 2005. The only pattern I see is a bunch of terrible QBs. Jim Miller was probably the best.

And that's because he was taking 'roids for a while, atleast he admitted to doing so during the 13-3 year. :rolleyes:

Injuries had a lot to do with it, IMO. Here's a recap from last year -- Sisyphean provided the numbers; the explanations for same are mine:

Looking behind the numbers...
Jauron's starting QBs by year:

1999: Miller 3, Matthews 7, and McNown 6

-Erik Kramer, the best QB the Bears have had since Jim McMahon, was released before training camp. McNown held out for most of camp, making Matthews was the opening-day starter; Bears were 3-2 when a hamstring injury put him out for the next two games. He re-aggravated the injury in his next start and was inactive for four more games. McNown took over, but obviously wasn't ready. Miller came in and played well for a couple of weeks, but missed the last four games due to suspension, leaving the team in the hands of the rookie and the journeyman with a bad leg.

2000: Miller 2, Matthews 5, and McNown 9

-Miller, the probable starter, was injured in preseason, so McNown won the job by default. Jauron stayed with the kid that Mark Hatley traded half of his 1999 draft to get through a 1-7 start. McNown separated his shoulder in the ninth game, making Miller the starter until he shredded his Achilles in a game at the Ralph. Matthews went the rest of the way.

2001: Matthews 3, and Miller 13

-Miller was still coming back from the Achilles injury, so Matthews began the season as the starter. Bruised ribs knocked him out of the lineup in week 3, and Miller reclaimed the job. He separated his shoulder in the playoff loss.

2002: Burris 1, Chandler 7, and Miller 8

-Miller started the first five weeks before leaving with tendinitis in his elbow. Chris Chandelier came in and started a couple of games before sustaining yet another concussion. Still battling shoulder and elbow issues, Miller started three of the next four before a knee injury ended his season.

2003: Grossman 3, Chandler 6, Stewart 7

-Stewart started the first six games, and the Bears were rewarded with a 1-5 record and a new quarterback. The official word was that Kordell had a thigh injury, but most observers considered the move a benching. Chandler lasted six games before the inevitable injury (shoulder); Stewart came back in and resumed sucking, so they gave the rookie some playing time.

2006: Losman 16

-Losman took every snap from center.

2007: Edwards 9, Losman 7

Losman: sprained MCL in week 3, out for four weeks. Edwards: sprained wrist in week 8, also out for four weeks, although he might have been ready to come back before then.

If anything, he's almost too loyal to the guy who's starting that week. Another coach wouldn't have given either McNown or Stewart half the season, and he apparently thought he owed Losman a chance to retake the job after Edwards' injury. And if Jim Miller had managed to stay healthy, those numbers above -- and the Bears' W-L records for those seasons -- would look a lot different.

Updating it, I do not believe Jauron makes a QB switch at any point in 2008 if Edwards stays healthy. Ditto this year, when most of us out here in the peanut gallery would have yanked No. 5 out of at least one game by now.

and jauron played a large part in each of them being terrible. matthews was good but didn't peak until late in his career. fitzpatrick could be good. jauron has a say in who is drafted. he should have pushed harder for a better qb. or maybe jauron really believed in all those qbs

Injuries had a lot to do with it, IMO. If anything, he's almost too loyal to the guy who's starting that week. Another coach wouldn't have given either McNown or Stewart half the season, and he apparently thought he owed Losman a chance to retake the job after Edwards' injury. And if Jim Miller had managed to stay healthy, those numbers above -- and the Bears' W-L records for those seasons -- would look a lot different.

Updating it, I do not believe Jauron makes a QB switch at any point in 2008 if Edwards stays healthy. Ditto this year, when most of us out here in the peanut gallery would have yanked No. 5 out of at least one game by now.

Like I said, whether it's bad decision making or just BAD LUCK, please get the curse away from us. We don't need anyone with that history coaching this team anymore.