Mexican day at MNF

So that means that the millions of LEGAL Hispanic immigrants deserve to be insulted by you? So their worth and accomplishments aren't worth celebrating, and with that trying to tie it all in with a 'liberal' agenda and Obama? Crippling the country is best done by divisiveness and spreading the ignorance, not celebrating Hispanic culture :censored:

Evidently even celebrations are now being stopped.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reading this thread is just scary... never, never will i understand xenophobia coming from americans... :censored:

Being from a strange foreign land you may not understand all the nuances of American culture. This is not about all illlegal aliens so Xenonians are not under attack here.

It is not even about the Mexicans. It is specifically the Mexicans in football. If they are going to hire a Mexican ref, nobody has a problem. The problem is when he announces the penalties in Mexican. What is that? Are you telling me if there was a soccer ref in France that was a Belgium, you wouldn't be ticked if he called pass interference and announced it in Belgiese?

This coming from a guy whose Country's biggest sport event and press corps covering it has been on an Ahab-like witch hunt to bring down the American...and worse...Texan...interloper who has dominated the event for the better part of the decade.

Furthermore, there are now THREE American teams not only participating in, but DOMINATING that event. Tons of American fans travelling to France to see it..yet, funny....I dont see one OUNCE of consessions to that crown in terms of homogenizing the event for those folks. Not one ounce.

So !@#$ing funny...when people outside the US want to see their cultural institutions protected, its becuase such events are sacred and its justifiable. But when Americans do the same, its "xenophobia" or becuase were a bunch of "racists."

Get over yourself. Nobody is saying dont let the PARTICIPANTS, player or fan, of any nationality not join in. People just want to see the events, themselves remain traditionally what they have always been.

Tell ya what, Frency....lets drop a Country dance hall or Mickey D's on the Champs Elyses and see how THAT goes over. Im sure you open and tolerant French wont have one BIT of an issue with it.

He's a doper :censored:

This coming from a guy whose Country's biggest sport event and press corps covering it has been on an Ahab-like witch hunt to bring down the American...and worse...Texan...interloper who has dominated the event for the better part of the decade.

Furthermore, there are now THREE American teams not only participating in, but DOMINATING that event. Tons of American fans travelling to France to see it..yet, funny....I dont see one OUNCE of consessions to that crown in terms of homogenizing the event for those folks. Not one ounce.

So !@#$ing funny...when people outside the US want to see their cultural institutions protected, its becuase such events are sacred and its justifiable. But when Americans do the same, its "xenophobia" or becuase were a bunch of "racists."

Get over yourself. Nobody is saying dont let the PARTICIPANTS, player or fan, of any nationality not join in. People just want to see the events, themselves remain traditionally what they have always been.

Tell ya what, Frency....lets drop a Country dance hall or Mickey D's on the Champs Elyses and see how THAT goes over. Im sure you open and tolerant French wont have one BIT of an issue with it.

There's one there already. :censored:

Ya know, I thought there MIGHT be, but I admit I was too lazy to look it up.

So bad example, but you get the point. This clown is in here whining about American "xenophobia" vis a vis American sports, but after getting into and closely following pro cycling and its culture, I can say there is not one group with a more intolerant, xenophobic and downright nasty-to outsiders mindset than the European sports fan. And its not just to Americans...its to other Europeans! So Frenchy needs to STFU on this one...hes WAY off base.

Yes I did get your point.

When I read your post, I had remembered walking down the Champs Elyses about 10 years ago seeing a MC'ds there.

thanks for your answer to the topic... :wallbash:

your ignorance about everything that is my country is in fact a perfect answer...

(maybe you should know Greg lemond is still one of the most popular rider in France....)

Ya know, I thought there MIGHT be, but I admit I was too lazy to look it up.

So bad example, but you get the point. This clown is in here whining about American "xenophobia" vis a vis American sports, but after getting into and closely following pro cycling and its culture, I can say there is not one group with a more intolerant, xenophobic and downright nasty-to outsiders mindset than the European sports fan. And its not just to Americans...its to other Europeans! So Frenchy needs to STFU on this one...hes WAY off base.

you have NO CLUE , absolutly NO IDEA about what you're talking about so just SHUT UP !!

I can't believe a mex ref in a football game can make people answer that kind of bull!!!

thanks for your answer to the topic... :wallbash:

your ignorance about everything that is my country is in fact a perfect answer...

(maybe you should know Greg lemond is still one of the most popular rider in France....)

How popular would he be if his name were Greg Smith?

Sounds like someone needs to brush up on his own country's history.

They cant pronounce Google in French. Maybe they should be shot......oh wait:

The Alsatians are the inhabitants of the region of Alsace and part of Lorraine on France's border with Germany and Switzerland, which has changed hands between France and Germany five times in the last 250 years. The Alsatians have a strong German tradition. The oldest known poem in the German language was written in Alsace, German humanism flourished there and leaders of the German peasant revolt of 1525 came from the region.

Alsace first became French under the Treaty of Westphalia but continued to enjoy a high degree of autonomy. After 1789, however, the region was brought into line with other departments. Most links with Germany were severed and a decree was passed that anyone who could not speak official French would be shot. Alsace was annexed to Germany after the Franco-Prussian war in 1871 and reverted to France after the Treaty of Versailles. In 1940 it was taken over by Germany and at that time Alsatians suffered violence and discrimination at the hands of the Nazis. German was to be learned within two years by all citizens and all notices and official signs were to be in German. After World War II Alsace once again became a French province and the teaching of German was forbidden. The number of French-speakers increased greatly and only 20% of Alsatians now read and write in Alsatian German, which has no official recognition; however, Alsatian continues to be used in everyday life and family situations, more commonly among older people, rural dwellers and the working class than among younger professionals. German is taught in elementary and secondary schools as a separate subject. On the other hand, French predominates in the social and official life of the region and it is the language of public administration. Only some older people today lack any competency in French and large numbers of people are effectively bilingual, a process assisted by press, radio and television from Germany and Switzerland.

Although the Alsatian dialect is gradually being forgotten there has been a revival of interest amongst Alsatians and courses in Alsatian literature and history are now taught in people's education colleges. Alsatian newspapers have also been started with the aim of preserving the culture of Alsace. The Mouvement Regionaliste d'Alsace-Lorraine campaigns for a decentralized France within a federal Europe and for both French and German to be the official languages of Alsace. Alsatians have also called for a greater say in the economic affairs of Alsace, a region heavily involved with the German iron, steel and coal industries because of its location. It is felt by some that the interests of large — often multi-national — industries sometimes supersede those of the people of Alsace. A growing number of young Alsatians cross the border daily to work in Germany and Switzerland for considerably higher wages than in France. Increasing calls for the government to take a more responsible approach to the region's economy have not as yet met with much success and Alsace continues to lag behind other regions of France economically.

They cant pronounce Google in French. Maybe they should be shot......oh wait:

The Alsatians are the inhabitants of the region of Alsace and part of Lorraine on France's border with Germany and Switzerland, which has changed hands between France and Germany five times in the last 250 years. The Alsatians have a strong German tradition. The oldest known poem in the German language was written in Alsace, German humanism flourished there and leaders of the German peasant revolt of 1525 came from the region.

Alsace first became French under the Treaty of Westphalia but continued to enjoy a high degree of autonomy. After 1789, however, the region was brought into line with other departments. Most links with Germany were severed and a decree was passed that anyone who could not speak official French would be shot. Alsace was annexed to Germany after the Franco-Prussian war in 1871 and reverted to France after the Treaty of Versailles. In 1940 it was taken over by Germany and at that time Alsatians suffered violence and discrimination at the hands of the Nazis. German was to be learned within two years by all citizens and all notices and official signs were to be in German. After World War II Alsace once again became a French province and the teaching of German was forbidden. The number of French-speakers increased greatly and only 20% of Alsatians now read and write in Alsatian German, which has no official recognition; however, Alsatian continues to be used in everyday life and family situations, more commonly among older people, rural dwellers and the working class than among younger professionals. German is taught in elementary and secondary schools as a separate subject. On the other hand, French predominates in the social and official life of the region and it is the language of public administration. Only some older people today lack any competency in French and large numbers of people are effectively bilingual, a process assisted by press, radio and television from Germany and Switzerland.

Although the Alsatian dialect is gradually being forgotten there has been a revival of interest amongst Alsatians and courses in Alsatian literature and history are now taught in people's education colleges. Alsatian newspapers have also been started with the aim of preserving the culture of Alsace. The Mouvement Regionaliste d'Alsace-Lorraine campaigns for a decentralized France within a federal Europe and for both French and German to be the official languages of Alsace. Alsatians have also called for a greater say in the economic affairs of Alsace, a region heavily involved with the German iron, steel and coal industries because of its location. It is felt by some that the interests of large — often multi-national — industries sometimes supersede those of the people of Alsace. A growing number of young Alsatians cross the border daily to work in Germany and Switzerland for considerably higher wages than in France. Increasing calls for the government to take a more responsible approach to the region's economy have not as yet met with much success and Alsace continues to lag behind other regions of France economically.

so what ? that's what you propose for the hispanics?!!

i live in basque contry mr the lesson givers, i know my history, what happened here was and is still shameful ,nothing to be proud of... , may i remind you i'm "olivier in france" not "olivier french" or something like that... i hate countries and nations. and i do not consider myself "french" since the french have rejected the european constitution

one of my best friends is from there and thanks god she speaks alsatian pretty well!

so i hate french xenophobia even more than the american... but at least some french can say they are "from here"... while 95% of americans can't. something that make american xenophobia even more stupid if that is possible than "our" breed.

No idea, huh?

Talk to me, then about how the Flemish treated Italian Fillipo Pozzato as he tailed Belgian Tom Boonen this past April during Paris Roubaix.

Or how RIGHT NOW, the French are ONCE AGIN trying to pin doping allegations on Armstrong.

Or for years, how Armstrong was treated and spit on and heckled as he climbed over some of the mountains in France.

Or how the ASO designed the Tour routes specifically to try and take out Armstrong and US Postal. Even for the 2010 tour, they elimitated the TTT becuase Armstrong's team dominated it in 09.

And how ASO got pissy with Bob Roll for saying "Tour Day Frantz" and FORCED Versus TV to make him pronounce it the way the FRENCH did or be banned from covering the event.

For the fans, talk to me about why the French havent begun translating race announcments into English yet. A huge part of this discussion is about disdain for the tranlsation of English announcements into Spanish...tell me why the French havent done a similar translation for Le Tour.

Jeses, even ASO, itself calls Le Tour "a powerful vector for France’s image abroad."

So thats all OK.....yet, somehow, wanting to keep NFL football as the same type of "powerful vector" of America's image is wrong. Give me a fugging break.

??? you're totally sick aren't you?

go suck Armstrong's d... and stop whining.

the Tour is and always has been an international competition, maybe you should come and see it live one day... people from all over the world sharing their love of cycling on the roads. Pass a day along the road of a big Alps pass, you'll probably hear dozens of different languages, it's a giant international tailgate waiting for the "peloton" ...

Roche, Delgado, Robic, Lemond, Mertz, Bahamontes, Pantani, Herrera and dozens of other "foreign" riders have been loved and supported by the french cycling fans during the history of the Tour. Some like Armstrong, Indurain and others (including frenchmen like Fignon, Bernard or Anquetil) have been more seen like villains, that's part of the sport...

???

For a long time, until very recently, the natives of Alsace-Lorraine have been...let's say "looked down upon" by the French, to the point where only recently was Alsatian permitted to be spoken in Alsace-Lorraine (ditto the Breton language in Brittany). And currently the France does not recognize any lanauage other than French as the official lanauage, and in fact the French government is required by law to communicate in French - just one of several "enlightened" policies that have almost eliminated Alsatians as a cultural demographic. Compare that to US "xenophobic" policies, such as requiring by law the government to offer interpretation services for every damn language under the sun.

Which is not to demonize the French, btw (I could have used the Basques in Spain, the Ainu in Japan, the Hmong in Vietnam...). Just to say that xenophobia is everywhere.