The unemployment rate now being quoted at 10%

Here are the US Bureau of Labor statistics, Sept. 08 to Sept 09, released 10/2/09:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t12.htm

What you see in the media is the U-3 rate. Which is always an understatement. Scroll down to the U-6 rate - 17% unemployment. Perhaps someone can shed some light on the seasonally and non-seasonally adjusted words.

Change you can believe in. It's inexorable...

This has always been the most retarded way of gauging unemployment. Basically in a nutshell, if you are not looking for a job and/or resigned to the "fact" that you won't get one, then it doesn't count :lol: . That's right, it doesn't count, how freaking retarded is that? If you're not employed, then I don't care what anyone says, your !@#$ing unemployed :lol:

This has always been the most retarded way of gauging unemployment. Basically in a nutshell, if you are not looking for a job and/or resigned to the "fact" that you won't get one, then it doesn't count :lol: . That's right, it doesn't count, how freaking retarded is that? If you're not employed, then I don't care what anyone says, your !@#$ing unemployed :lol:

Agreed, but that is the way that it has been measured for years. The arguments for and against are a head ache to rehash. I guess measuring the non-looking v. the disgruntled is hard to accurately separate.

Agreed, but that is the way that it has been measured for years. The arguments for and against are a head ache to rehash. I guess measuring the non-looking v. the disgruntled is hard to accurately separate.

The only argument "for" that asinine rationalization is so scumbag politicians don't have to be associated with the real unemployment figures in the country. After all, people might start to ask WTF the politicians were doing if they had to admit to 17% unemployment.

The only argument "for" that asinine rationalization is so scumbag politicians don't have to be associated with the real unemployment figures in the country. After all, people might start to ask WTF the politicians were doing if they had to admit to 17% unemployment.

Agreed and the 3 or 4% unemployment rate at the height of the expansion would probably be a lot higher too... say 8 or 9%, but agreed it is a bunch of crap. The actual v. effective rate of employment from econ 101 is what I remember.

I'm not sure how to quantify the "Can't find a jobbers." Nor how to compare and contrast their numbers with the "I don't want no stinkin' jobbers." When you and I provide a certain level of support to a great number for whom having no job is, to them, a good thing; I wan't work harder to feel real pain for them.