As if anyone needed an excuse to call me a bonehead.

Steely Dan

Thanks I just went to the Comodo but I can't flush my Windows firewall down to inactive. Should I use both? I only installed the firewall and they offered to change the DNS to a different number which looked like an IP address change and I figured it wouldn't do any harm so I downloaded that part too.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I just went to the Comodo but I can't flush my Windows firewall down to inactive. Should I use both? I only installed the firewall and they offered to change the DNS to a different number which looked like an IP address change and I figured it wouldn't do any harm so I downloaded that part too.

Comodo will disable your Windows Firewall (as it should). If you uninstall a 3rd party firewall, you will need to re-enable the Windows Firewall.

EDIT: Remember, do not install SafeSearch and Ask.com toolbars. You want the Comodo Firewall and Defense + only.

You should never use two software firewall solutions at the same time.

Comodo will disable your Windows Firewall (as it should). If you uninstall a 3rd party firewall, you will need to re-enable the Windows Firewall.

I get it now. The windows firewall says disabled but the firewall green light is on because I am on the Comodo. Many of you feel I am full of :unsure: anyway.

I get it now. The windows firewall says disabled but the firewall green light is on because I am using the Comodo. Many of you feel I am full of :unsure: anyway.

No, I just think you're a cheapskate for not buying the proper hardware solution. :)

Most expensive thing on the menu? Pfft. I asked you to buy a simple NAT box, not a full fledged firewall. If you want expensive, look at this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=c...&sa=title#p

I wondered what the hell that was. It came with my computer and I didn't think it was anything I needed. It had a stupid name. Check Point InterSpect 610. What the hell is an Interspect? I thought it was spyware. I threw it out. :unsure:

I wondered what the hell that was. It came with my computer and I didn't think it was anything I needed. It had a stupid name. Check Point InterSpect 610. What the hell is an Interspect? I thought it was spyware. I threw it out. :unsure:

Seriously dude, go buy a hardware firewall

Check the settings.

Thanks Capt. Obvious. :unsure: I'm too much of a bonehead to figure it out. I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

Also, it seems like the memory I had installed waaaayyyy prior to the crash may not be working, I had it maxed out, that sounds stupid and it probably is.

I found this on the internet;

What is the maximum amount of memory that I can add?

Your HP Media Center can support up to 4GB of computer memory. For optimal performance install the maximum amount of memory in each socket.

When I go to the disc defragmentor I find that my HP pavilion has 271 GB capacity. How can it have 267 GB more than the above answer says?

My computer has two banks and each bank has two slots. I had the memory put in by a professional who put in the max memory.

Also, the disc defragmentor page shows the HP Recovery at the top and then the HP Pavilion below that. IIRC, the old defragmentor page had the C: Drive at the top and then the HP Pavilion below that. Does anyone know what the hell might have happened and how to possibly fix it? The HP Pavilion shows 19% free space and that's a lot lower than I had before and I have many less programs and files than I did before. This is what makes me really think the memory isn't working. :blush:

I've got a headache I'm going to bed. :)

When I go to the disc defragmentor I find that my HP pavilion has 271 GB capacity. How can it have 267 GB more than the above answer says?

I'm thinking that boxing up the PC and shipping it back actually might really be the best solution...

You're confusing DISK SPACE with MEMORY.

And if you don't have a 64-bit OS, then you won't be able to use all 4GB of RAM that is installed.

I'm thinking that boxing up the PC and shipping it back actually might really be the best solution...

You're confusing DISK SPACE with MEMORY.

And if you don't have a 64-bit OS, then you won't be able to use all 4GB of RAM that is installed.

Be nice Fez. Steely I can send you some basic primer stuff that explains a lot of this. Just let me know.

At the risk of sounding grandmotherly here, when I have that problem a warm bowl of chicken soup. Sometimes I can barely make it back to bed, out like a light.

A hit or two of pot usually works for me.