The Bills culture of losing

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4478620

Sums it up nicely, I think:

"If Brady and the Patriots have crafted for themselves an aura of confidence, transforming gnawing, admirable persistence into a culture, the Bills have managed something quite the opposite: a suffocating pathology from an organization-wide dynamic of playing losing football by making losing decisions."

Look the espn writers have no clue, if the Pats had not gotten lucky on a 6th round pick in 2000 they would have had another decade of bad teams. I'm tired of the espn nonsense the Bills want to win it's not as easy as everybody thinks. Granted the Bills could make some better coaching and personnel moves but they spend money in free agency and try.

The guy lost all credibility with me on this:

"the Bills responded with what should have been a winning, confidence-soaring drive: 14 plays, 62 yards and a touchdown that pushed the lead to what should have been an insurmountable 24-13 advantage with 5:32 remaining. The Patriots had no answer for Buffalo's offense, which went no-huddle three times on that drive."

I'm thinking we went no huddle 14 times on that drive.

Saying that a winner would have the best return man in football take a knee is just plain silly. Sounds good now sure since we know he fumbled.

There is some truth is what he says though. Sometimes it seems like we're stuck on the brink of being good. 2 years ago we almost and should have beaten Dallas. Similar losses last year to Jets, Whiners, Clowns. So far we're starting this season the same way. But there were a lot of bright spots and we have the talent. If we can only it together and win some of these close games we could make the playoffs.

A good way to start would be to forget the prevent in the last 2:00 of a game.

Coaching is nothing. The Pats* won because Tom Brady makes plays when the game is on the line. The Steelers win because Ben R. makes plays when the game is on the line. The Bills used to win because Jim Kelly made plays when the game is on the line.

We had the ball with 45 seconds to go, two timeouts, and only needed a field goal to win. You give the ball to Brady, Ben R, or Peyton Manning under those circumstances, it's game over. Trent played a great game on Monday; but he's not the kind of franchise QB that separates average teams from great ones.

Looked to me like it was the young line there that caused a lot of the problems there more than Trent.

They haven't sucked BAD enough to get the draft picks that will make an immediate impact, plain and simple. 7-9 doesn't let you draft high enough to grab a real playmaker. And we need about three more playmakers to start winning more than we lose, IMO.

At least we have Lynch, and with him, we COULD, if we wanted to, make a decent trade for a guy we MIGHT have drafted a year or two ago had we just finished 3-13 like we shoulda.

They haven't sucked BAD enough to get the draft picks that will make an immediate impact, plain and simple. 7-9 doesn't let you draft high enough to grab a real playmaker. And we need about three more playmakers to start winning more than we lose, IMO.

At least we have Lynch, and with him, we COULD, if we wanted to, make a decent trade for a guy we MIGHT have drafted a year or two ago had we just finished 3-13 like we shoulda.

So what is your theory on why it is that perennially successful teams which seldom pick in the top of the draft continue to find playmakers?

So what is your theory on why it is that perennially successful teams which seldom pick in the top of the draft continue to find playmakers?

The only way a team that wins major playoff games stays good is by trading some of their depth to draft higher, and they also become more attractive for Free Agents, a-la New England. But they never stay great forever, because eventually, they don't have the guys left to trade away for high picks. Seymore was traded for a POSSIBLE high pick, and that's only if Oakland finishes as low as Belicheat expects them to, and who else can they trade after him? They're already a team on the decline.

Looked to me like it was the young line there that caused a lot of the problems there more than Trent.

Thanks, I was gonna say that.

You can blame Jauron for personnel, even our D coordinator, but Dick didn't let Ben Watson burn us 2 times in 2 minutes, and he didn't tell Bell to **** the bed on our last drive.

If I were Jauron, I'd be taking this game out on Fewell. Our defensive mindset in the second half of every game the last 3 years has been bend don't break, play to not lose. Frankly, it's getting old. We have too much talent out there to NOT be playing more agressive. It pains me to know the Bills have to come out for the second half each week. You just know the opposing Offense is going to pick us apart and light us up.

Sorry, I'm done now.

Dick Jauron has the IQ of a crack baby dropped on his head at birth. The day he even REALIZES there's a problem with the mess of a Defensive scheme he employs is the day pigs fly south for the winter.

Maybe you're on to something.... pigs.....swine flu epidemic..... maybe this means Jauron realizes the crapfest that is Fewell and he's about to fire him????

Ya, probably not.