11 year old girl suspended from school

rockpile

Great headline eh?

click here

What they neglect to mention in the story is that the girl was doing gymastics in school corridors and cement patio areas and sidewalks, which posed a danger to herself and others.

Both "sides" were on NBC this morning. The father was upset because contact sports were OK, but gymnastics was not allowed.

The school administrator explained that football, basketball and other sports were not allowed inside school hallways EITHER. The father looked definitely one toke over the line. :D

That's right, teach your 11 year old that rules do not apply to her, uh-huh!

Am I missing something? :P

Great headline eh?

click here

What they neglect to mention in the story is that the girl was doing gymastics in school corridors and cement patio areas and sidewalks, which posed a danger to herself and others.

Both "sides" were on NBC this morning. The father was upset because contact  sports were OK, but gymnastics was not allowed.

The school administrator explained that football, basketball and other sports were not allowed inside school hallways EITHER. The father looked definitely one toke over the line.  :D

That's right, teach your 11 year old that rules do not apply to her, uh-huh!

Am I missing something?  :P

115466[/snapback]

I have to say, I despise the suspension thing. When I was in school, you almost had to kill somebody to get suspended. They used things like ALS (basically an in school suspension where you sat in a room and did homework or were given some other learning task to do all day) instead.

Of course, they could also smack you if you acted up. Kids tended to listen and behave a little better.

Oh, if I keep doing it you'll send me home for three days? Uh, OK. With alot of today's parents, who act like their kids lawyer instead of doing their job, that'd be an easy choice. My father would have kicked my ass.

With alot of today's parents, who act like their kids lawyer instead of doing their job, that'd be an easy choice.  My father would have kicked my ass.

115474[/snapback]

The 'lawyer' part is a great way of putting it. My mom recently retired from teaching and all she'd ever experienced in her last few years was parents who could blame everyone but their children when they got in trouble (for failing, for no doing homework, for fighting, etc.). In their view, it was usually the teacher's fault when students acted out.

I have to say, I despise the suspension thing.  When I was in school, you almost had to kill somebody to get suspended.  They used things like ALS (basically an in school suspension where you sat in a room and did homework or were given some other learning task to do all day) instead. 

Of course, they could also smack you if you acted up.  Kids tended to listen and behave a little better.

Oh, if I keep doing it you'll send me home for three days?  Uh, OK.  With alot of today's parents, who act like their kids lawyer instead of doing their job, that'd be an easy choice.  My father would have kicked my ass.

115474[/snapback]

I went to Shenedehowa. We had "in-school suspension." What a bummer. It was worse than going to class. Sit in a room all day doing (shudder) school work.

With alot of today's parents, who act like their kids lawyer instead of doing their job, that'd be an easy choice.  My father would have kicked my ass.

115474[/snapback]

Mine too. And I woulda' had it coming.

Some parents are too busy trying to be their kids' buddies and be "cool", instead of trying to be their parents.

But I thought the suspension in this case was a bit extreme. The schools don't wanna get sued. That's the thing these days.

Mike