Collinsworth

Cookiemonster

Wow, now that is impressive, I didn't notice the part about him earning a Journalism Degree.

I really am not trying to say that, because he was not a great player, he can't be a great announcer.

But if you look at most of the ex-jocks that are now announcers, almost all of them would be considered

great or boderline great, Collinsworth wasn't. That seems to be the prerequisite to broadcating these days, not my standard, it is what the media imposes on us, like it or not. So why is he so knowledgable about football? I don't

remember him coaching any. Where did he accumulate all of this knowledge that you speak of. I mean the guy

probably has wonderful perspective on the WR postion, but I don't particularly find him insightful on any position,

just a lot of garble and drizzle. Sorry for hitting a nerve about the ring thing, if he would have just held on to the

football, he might have one.

Er - I never voiced an opinion about his knowledge. I looked back through the pages of this thread.

Somehow, I get the feeling that you think I give a rat's patoot about the B'gals. No nerve to be struck. I moved into a county, where non-property owners voted a free pleasure palace for them to be paid by property owners. I pay an added half penny tax for each purchase I make in that county. When my wife retires in a couple of years, I guarantee we will never relocate into any county that has a major league team in any sport.

Collinsworth IMO is a good commentator - personally, I don't care for him, because he's constantly on the radio hawking this or that, and has a sweetheart MRI imaging business tied in with his Mike Brown connection.

He was a very good pro, who played on decent teams managed by the late Paul Brown.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is only the best receiver to ever play for the Bungles.

A little off subject but you forgot the critical "IMO."

Here are the Bengals all-time receivers:

1 Chad Johnson 2001 2008 121 612 8905 14.6 53 82 5.1 73.6 5

2 Carl Pickens 1992 1999 120 530 6887 13.0 63 75 4.4 57.4 10

3 T.J. Houshmandzadeh 2001 2008 103 507 5782 11.4 37 62 4.9 56.1 9

4 Cris Collinsworth 1981 1988 107 417 6698 16.1 36 74 3.9 62.6 9

5 Isaac Curtis 1973 1984 167 416 7101 17.1 53 85 2.5 42.5 10

6 Darnay Scott 1994 2001 109 386 5975 15.5 36 88 3.5 54.8 0

7 Eddie Brown 1985 1991 102 363 6134 16.9 41 86 3.6 60.1 6

Yes statistics don't tell the whole story. And because of this I would argue that Isaac Curtis and Eddie Brown were both better than Collinsworth.

That said, your point (I think it was your point) is still true...Collinsworth was an excellent football player.

Hyperbole has been the hip thing in American sports broadcasting for at least a decade now, and it tends to make me want to stab myself repeatedly.

That said, I don't think Collinsworth is any more guilty than most of his colleagues, and he's by no means the worst.

Pleasantly surprised by most of the replies here.

It's incredibly easy to criticize announcers. I'm not above doing it myself seeing as how most of them suck. But if you include Collinsworth who is actually good in the sucky group, well, you're partially at fault for why most announcers suck.

Kudos to both primetime networks for putting together a solid booth this year. God knows the Bills games are going to be broadcast by clowns most weeks.

I had a friend who liked the Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and Paul McGuire crew. I thought they were ok but found this post from offwing.com about their relationship.

Thanks to the always entertaining Eric Myerson, for pointing out an uncomfortable moment during the final appearance of Mike Patrick, Joe Theisman and Paul Maguire in the broadcast booth on Wild Card Saturday:

Patrick: Joe Gibbs has only lost one game in the postseason in his career, and that was all the way back in '84*. To guess who? Maybe the best defense we ever saw.

Theismann: And guess who lost that game? Me.

Maguire: Joe Theismann lost that game!

(Silence)

Patrick: I'm sure it wasn't your fault, Joe.

Maguire: Sure it was. I saw the game. It was Joe's fault.

(Silence.)

Some might find it comforting that it seems like Theisman and Maguire hated each other just as much as the viewing audience hated them.

Thought this thread deserved to be resurrected, given the human hyperbole that is Gus Johnson and his orgasmic call of the Stokely TD against Cinci on Sunday.

OH MY GOODNESS

I mean, please. I don't think Van Miller was this excited during the Houston comeback game.

Maybe some of you like that sort of exuberance. To me, it's embarrassing. I will give Gus credit, though -- he seems to be genuine.

What Business is that your refer to, you certainly can't be talking about broadcasting,

or color commentating. For my money, Phil Simms, is "the best in the business".

I hate saying this but I think Aikman is the best. Didn't appreciate him beating us like he did but Troy is even keeled in his game day assessments